SASS Wire Forum

New Glasses

Subdeacon Joe

I have tried regular bifocals and could not deal with them. To be fair I didn’t give them much of a chance. Didn’t want to.

I have a weird prescription. It’s hard to get them dialed in every time I get new glasses. Only having to pay $100 for 2 pairs would be fantastic. Unfortunately mine always cost much more. 

6 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have tried regular bifocals and could not deal with them. To be fair I didn’t give them much of a chance. Didn’t want to.

I have a weird prescription. It’s hard to get them dialed in every time I get new glasses. Only having to pay $100 for 2 pairs would be fantastic. Unfortunately mine always cost much more. 

Right now I'm finding that using the computer is a challenge.  A little too far for the close, a little too close for far.  I'll get it figured out, though.  Next time I might splurge on the blended bifocals, though.

11 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Right now I'm finding that using the computer is a challenge.  A little too far for the close, a little too close for far.  I'll get it figured out, though.  Next time I might splurge on the blended bifocals, though.

Try getting a pair of single vision made for the distance to the PC.

Been wearing no-lines since the early 80s and they always seemed to work very well for me.  Went in yesterday for an exam to get a new pair and was told that I have to have eye surgery on both eyes then re-examined before they will make me new glasses.  But as for the progressives I would recomend them, they always worked well for me.

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Any lens coatings?

My current glasses have the "Crizal" coating which seems to work really well for glare and avoiding scratches. Mine are just starting to show scratches after almost 2 years of daily use. Like the progressive lens as well. Like Pat, I can't do the line!

I wore the lined bifocals for 30 years. I tried unlined and didn't like them. For a while, I had to have computer glasses. I think I'll get lined bifocals after I have eye surgery again. I had cataract surgery in September and October and one of the eyes needs a redo as soon as the scar tissue heals. I probably won't be shooting until I get new glasses. :(

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My current glasses have the "Crizal" coating which seems to work really well for glare and avoiding scratches. Mine are just starting to show scratches after almost 2 years of daily use. Like the progressive lens as well. Like Pat, I can't do the line!

mine too but I find that cleaning them is more of a pain than regular lenses.

at least I can see which I guess is what it's all about 

It was a signal day when I got my first set of bifocals.
I was shocked.
I could actually see the dial on my watch again!

Blended bifocals are for aging cowpokes that accept they are getting older.  Progressive lens are what aging cowpokes that ain't accepting (me) they could be getting older.

11 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Blended bifocals are for aging cowpokes that accept they are getting older.  Progressive lens are what aging cowpokes that ain't accepting (me) they could be getting older.

I disagree, I tried the lined and they didn't work for me especially when driving.

When I first got my progressives, there was a perpetual ditch in front of me until I got use to them. I walked like I was stepping over snakes.

Extra care was taken when in refineries going up or down stairs.

1 hour ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

When I first got my progressives, there was a perpetual ditch in front of me until I got use to them. I walked like I was stepping over snakes.

Extra care was taken when in refineries going up or down stairs.

My first pair did something similar. Turned out they were not properly ground. The maker failed to grind all the way to the edge of the lens. Made looking through the bottom of the glasses similar to looking through a bottle filled with water.  Struggled for a couple of weeks before I went back to my eye doc.  Told him the problem and he immediately ordered another pair. New pair had zero issues. Oddly enough it has never happened again. 

3 hours ago, Charlie T Waite said:

I disagree, I tried the lined and they didn't work for me especially when driving.

I was trying to be funny....

9 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

I was trying to be funny....

Thumbs up.gif

Archived