SASS Wire Forum

Possible a new category?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Watching the videos of those Buckaroos and Buckarettes that were posted in response to the thread started by Iron Biscuit makes one want to be young again.

In consideration of that, I propose that we start a new category called "Adult Buckaroo/Buckarette".

All of the guidelines including firearms remain the same (heck, we want to shoot Henry 22 rifles too) with the following caveat:

905949924_Youmustbethisold-REVISED.thumb.JPG.147d8c17f357054e496f2b6ec5ffed41.JPG

What say Ya'll?

I'm all in for it!  :D

If you have to be 80 to qualify for Adult buckaroo, and Im 70, by the chart, does that make me a Belt Buckle Buckaroo? I need to be in the Blind, Quadrapalegic Buckaroo class.

Imis

Not a bad idea Quick Gun Daddy..... Except, scoring problems hearing the .22's hit the steel.

Heck, with our aging problems of hearing loss, its difficult to hear even some of the centerfire stuff.

Otherwise..... go for it.

P.S. - it ain't just the Henry .22 rifles that folks want to shoot, but many of them own the Winchester 9422

and Browning .22 lever rifles.

There are also some nice pumpers out there also, like the original model 62 and repro's.

And Henry makes a nice pumper also.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

If you have to be 80 to qualify for Adult buckaroo, and Im 70, by the chart, does that make me a Belt Buckle Buckaroo? I need to be in the Blind, Quadrapalegic Buckaroo class.

Imis

Imis:

I updated the chart (pic) to reflect what I originally meant, which was to be older than 50yrs.

You can still qualify for the Belt Buckle Buckaroo (subcategory) :D

Scoring .22 hits is a PITA......

Robber Roost Vigilantes has a IWIW22A(I wish I was 22 again)category that's a whole bunch of fun.

Here's the guidelines.......

http://robbersroostvigilantes.com/RimfireClass.html

OLG

It's all fun and games until I get to the shotgun.  Man, loading/shucking those little .410's is a pain.  I do have a little single shot .410 that ejects hulls at about 300 feet per sec.  :P

I do enjoy shooting .22's every chance I get.

Totes

I like it.

I got two .22 Ruger Single Sixes that don't see enough action.

One's a flat gate that I just HAD to have bc Cypress Sam had one. Talk about trying to keep up with the Cypresses.

Which BTW is impossible bc Sam has more guns than God.:lol:

Waimea

11 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

No.

Man of few words, I like that.

I agree.

No.

Local clubs can and do offer same or similar at normal or special matches.  No need for a new official category.

We do an “iron Cowboy” match once a year. Shoot 6 stages, dualist, gunfighter, 2 handed,  double dualist, wild bunch, buckaroo. It’s optional, but most shoot it. Club members supply 22s and WB guns to those who don’t have them. I think most enjoy the 22 stage. It’s just fun. I even bought a 410 double last year just so I would have one to shoot! 

I would not want a steady diet of 22 only, but they are fun to shoot. 

14 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Imis

Seein' as where you live I'd believe you'd be closer to a Bell Buckle Buckaroo! :lol:

Kajun

I'm lucky!   Our club has a 22 match on the 4th Sunday every month.  It's a lot of fun, as it's the only time I can get a stage time in the teens.   As we don't shoot shot gun, that makes the match go fast.

This would be great for us Old Farts with arthritic hands and wrists, or who are just tool lazy to reload sometimes.  I would have to buy and sneak another revolver into the house, but I'm in. 

I had to think about this one.  I keep coming back to an older local shooter who comes out most Saturdays with his son.  He's probably middle eighties and needs a bit of help getting around.  We usually have his long guns carried to the stage and then carried to the unloading table.  He's a great pard, and I sometimes wonder how much longer we'll get to enjoy his company on the range.  It's clear he gets tired holding the rifle, and the shotgun can be rough on him.   He shoots .32 pistols and seems OK with them.  I think a lighter weight rifle would probably extend his cowboy shooting days somewhat, but I suspect the limiting factor then will become shotgun recoil. 

I think we have too many categories as it is, but I'll take one more if it means more of our older shooters get to keep competing safely.

I have found the comments on this topic very interesting because I was just approached the other day about a potential shooter that was very interested in SASS but wondered if he could try it using his 22s because he had them but no SASS legal handguns or rifle in the larger calibers.  We are considering it.  We then learned that another club has a Sodbuster class that is basically "shoot what you brung" until you get outfitted.  I guess we'll see how this works out for us.  I am all for doing all we can to help a new shooter get started.  I also know how hard it is to spot for the extremely fast shooters.  There's no way I would want to spot for one using 22s.  I don't think my brain could register the bangs, clangs, and spot hits that quickly.  :blink:  So, my current status is to allow it for beginners, or even a monthly fun match category, but not a category to be used on any regular basis pending how things progress once it's introduced.  Time will tell.

Archived