SASS Wire Forum

1873 Winchester throws brass down range

Irish Pat

I have discussed this before.  Cody worked on one of my Winchesters  a few years ago and said the reason they do that is because the sample guns were sent to gun writers that did not shoot cowboy and they suggested to the  factory reps make them that way to get the brass out of the shooter's way.   Anyway, has anyone thought of a way to save our brass from going down range?   I love my Winchester but it would be nice to  get some brass back sometimes.  Irish Pat sass 19486 

put this in google search or your browser address: winchester 1873 brass ejection site:www.sassnet.com

The carrier can be filed to adjust the direction thrown, but be very cautious.

50 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Would the ejector have any role in this directional situation?

You mean the extractor?  Not much if any effect.  If an extractor were REALLY tightly tensioned, it might be able to hold the rim slightly longer, but that ought to toss the case more towards the rear, rather than the front.

It's the top of the carrier, where the step up to the top level is, that EDGE OF THE STEP is the ejector.   If due to lack of beveling on the lower step of the carrier the rim of the empty is being pinched against the lower shelf, that MIGHT cause cases to be "squirted forward" instead of backwards.

Check that you have decent tension on the extractor leaf, and that the top of the carrier looks properly profiled/beveled, before tinkering with a "fix".

Good luck, GJ

I have heard of this issue with 357 only. Is that everyone else's experience as well? I know mine in 44-40 puts the brass in an easy to retrieve location, as I get almost all of mine back every match. I lose far more to crushed necks from getting stepped on than I ever lose in the weeds.

I did mean the ejector. Not familiar with the innards of a '73 and figured the bevel of the ejector (as in my '92) would direct the empty in the direction. I have tuned the ejectors on both '92s and Marlins so I have an idea of that design and wondered if they were similar. Thx

We lose a ton of our brass to the after shoot scroungers. 

We shoot with a guy that put two layers of duct tape on top of his carrier and his brass now goes straight up. He just pointed it out to me again at the last shoot.

2 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

We lose a ton of our brass to the after shoot scroungers. 

We shoot with a guy that put two layers of duct tape on top of his carrier and his brass now goes straight up. He just pointed it out to me again at the last shoot.

Yep, that makes the ejection take place just a tad earlier, which tends to help with throwing it rearward.

GJ

My Winchester used to throw brass forward both 38 and 357's. Not a problem around here all of ranges have berms. I worked on some timing issues and now the rifle throws brass backwards.

I had the same problem with my Codymatic where I was losing 50% of my brass. Someone on the Wire mentioned removing the dust cover. I did, and now get more brass back than before - maybe 8-9 rounds out of 10 instead of 5. Don't know why, just that it worked for me.

After an out-of-battery discharge I straightened everything out but the rifle just wasn't "right". After 1000's of rounds downrange there was a groove worn where the lever contacts the carrier lifter arm, so I figured I had some "stacked" tolerances. I drilled and tapped the carrier lifter arm and installed a set screw that I could adjust to play with the lifter timing. I found that minute adjustments of that screw would determine if the brass flew forward, straight up or backward. I adjusted the screw to toss the brass up & back, took a measurement, welded it up and milled it off to that measurement.

I know not everyone has that capability, but the point is that it doesn't take much at all and a thin layer of JB Weld can and has been used as a tuning aid. It can be removed if the results aren't favorable, but will last a long time if they are.

MTC

Ah, the pro's & con's of different ranges...…...lol. We don't have a common firing line so we get all our brass back even the pesky ones that go down range. We get to use stars, poppers and resettable targets and all too. But we don't have a cool looking cowboy town eithers...….Maybe a longer brass picker is in order...……..

13 hours ago, M.T Chambers, SASS#76185 said:

After an out-of-battery discharge I straightened everything out but the rifle just wasn't "right". After 1000's of rounds downrange there was a groove worn where the lever contacts the carrier lifter arm, so I figured I had some "stacked" tolerances. I drilled and tapped the carrier lifter arm and installed a set screw that I could adjust to play with the lifter timing. I found that minute adjustments of that screw would determine if the brass flew forward, straight up or backward. I adjusted the screw to toss the brass up & back, took a measurement, welded it up and milled it off to that measurement.

I know not everyone has that capability, but the point is that it doesn't take much at all and a thin layer of JB Weld can and has been used as a tuning aid. It can be removed if the results aren't favorable, but will last a long time if they are.

M.T. , Just a side note of interest:  Pale Wolf has recently said that the ROC committee unanimously voted this  to be an illegal mod. (if you had not welded over it) because you can see the tip of the adjusting screw.

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I have Marlins in .38 and .45. The .38s throw ejected brass to the side. The .45 throws it forward. Drat I lose most of the expensive stuff.

My guns throw LC into the county behind me and my conversions throw the CS straight up and down. So either I'm donating to the gun carts of others or throwing it into my pockets hat and whatever hole I'm standing in at the time. Expense is not the concern so much as the effort spent making the cases. 

18 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Your '73 is just aspiring to become a Marlin.......:lol:

That '73 will also have to go on a diet then-:lol:

Hey Crash-Take a look at the RPP extractor for your Marlin.

https://www.rangerpointstore.com/shop-all/marlin-1894-feed-issues-m-94-extractor-claw-2017-all-new-design/

We have them in our 3, M/94's and they now toss the empties at 2-3 o'clock position

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I have Marlins in .38 and .45. The .38s throw ejected brass to the side. The .45 throws it forward. Drat I lose most of the expensive stuff.

1 hour ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

if a 73 is sending brass forward the timing of the gun is off.......

Stan

Designed that way.

If you just received this rifle back from a gunsmith doing action work and short stroke then I’d be concerned. I believe Stan  Hit the nail on the head about the timing issue. Also if a rifle is properly built you shouldn’t have to take off dust covers... add duct tape or any of the other meantioned gimmicks. Good solid reliable gunsmithing should be all it takes. As you now know not everyone that claims to be a gunsmith is a True gunsmith. 

Your Pal,

Slick 

17 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Designed that way.

When saying winchester not sure if mean original or miroku. If miroku they were designed that way. I had that issue and sent to cody and he changed the carrier slightly so did not throw forward but more upward. 

Miroku. Love the rifle accuracy and quality though. Never own another type for CAS -ever. Thinking of buying a 24 inch octagon barreled model next.

Archived