SASS Wire Forum

Card Deck of Sweeps and other card decks

Juiceharp Jen

I’d like a deck of cards in which each card is a sweep pattern so I can randomly generate sweep patterns for training. Is there such a thing?  If not, I would like to have some made.  To that end, what are people’s favorite sweep patterns?  I found this list.  Are any of those never used?

http://www.doublebcowboys.com/Secondary/ruledocs/Cowboy Action Sweep Patterns.htm

Also, I’m curious to know of any other types of CAS or SASS card decks that already exist.

I found this page on stage design.  It lists some challenges.  I guess there could be challenge cards and if one of those is turned up, you keep turning up cards until you get to a sweep pattern, and then apply the challenge(s).

https://marauder.homestead.com/files/stages.htm

Some stages at the local club have a card turned up before the stage to determine which target you start on.  I recall a double tap on each target starting with the target indicated by the card.  Are there other common patterns that use this type of random element?

1169107479_JuiceharpJenLogo.JPG.bab825fa3ed465aec3a277d96f045792.JPG,

Like the way you think.

A deck of cards would be a handy way to keep these for that use.

I bought a 5 in by 7 in deck of Bicycle playing cards for Blue Boy. Individual sweep names and descriptions could be glued/ laminated to the faces and the backs would still have the Bicycle emblem/logo. 

Imis

Here you go. Get some of these and design your own. Maybe the SASS Marshal on the back, names of sweeps on the front, go hog wild with them. Says they print just fine with a laser printer.

https://www.amazon.com/Blank-Playing-Cards/dp/1572814993/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_21_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JWHHH5GX6AXZ4J8AQF78

Go to Office Depot and buy a pack 3X5 note cards. They should cost about $5.

We shot a sweep that confused most everyone - 5 targets in a straight line starting with first target 1-1-1, then shoot from the second target with 1-1-1, and then to third target 1-1-2.  Easy with the rifle but for pistols the start of the third round requires you to shoot the last target of the second round, which confused people. Just as confusing as my explanation.

4 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Here you go. Get some of these and design your own. Maybe the SASS Marshal on the back, names of sweeps on the front, go hog wild with them. Says they print just fine with a laser printer.

https://www.amazon.com/Blank-Playing-Cards/dp/1572814993/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_21_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JWHHH5GX6AXZ4J8AQF78

The SASS marshal on the back would be neat, but I’m concerned about potentially misrepresenting the source of the cards if I decide to give some decks away to people who might want them.  It’s the IP attorney in me doing it’s “abundance of caution” thing.  I’m no artist but I can design something in Visio with a pattern fill and some text.  I’d love to crowdsource the whole deck design, so please keep the suggestions coming.

Several Lustrum ago, one of my favorite clubs had two deck of cards.  The first deck of cards had different sweeps.  Each shooter picked a card from the shuffled deck Then shot that sweep.

The other deck of cards had the guns on it.  One way we played, you turned top card to get your sweep (Everybody shot the same sweep) then you turned a card for the gun to start with.  

It was a ton of fun.  It was not a fast stage.

16 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Several Lustrum ago, one of my favorite clubs had two deck of cards.  The first deck of cards had different sweeps.  Each shooter picked a card from the shuffled deck Then shot that sweep.

The other deck of cards had the guns on it.  One way we played, you turned top card to get your sweep (Everybody shot the same sweep) then you turned a card for the gun to start with.  

It was a ton of fun.  It was not a fast stage.

CC:

669143640_BrilliantIdea.thumb.png.2b0f5ec6d231216e6550d9815a4cf116.png

22 hours ago, Russ The Red said:

We shot a sweep that confused most everyone - 5 targets in a straight line starting with first target 1-1-1, then shoot from the second target with 1-1-1, and then to third target 1-1-2.  Easy with the rifle but for pistols the start of the third round requires you to shoot the last target of the second round, which confused people. Just as confusing as my explanation.

So - you shoot 1-2-3   2-3-4   3-4-5-5 ( by target #) ?

3 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

That's the way I read it too.  WOW!  Talk about making heads explode!!! :o

Definitely get a few comments on that one :lol:

P.S. Wouldn't mind it in a monthly but not in a big match .....

3 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

So - you shoot 1-2-3   2-3-4   3-4-5-5 ( by target #) ?

Yes, when you put it that way. The fact we use numbers for both the number of shots and the number of the target makes my head spin.  My absolute favorite though is the 1-5-2-4-3 and repeat. My Grandson and I call it the outside-outside, inside-inside, center.

2 hours ago, Rance - SASS # 54090 said:

Onlyest thing I've heard about a stage starting with a

random pull from a deck of cards??

No one is shooting the same stage/match..

Rance ;)

Just sayin' 

Definitely not in a big match..

Monthly's?? I don't know..

I think she's talking about practice, not in a match (hopefully not anyway). 

I would never go up to a stage having not mentally rehearsed what I was about to do, so I would therefore not see much benefit in drawing a card and shooting the sweep without first mentally reviewing what I was going to do.  As I used to tell my football players, you play the way you practice.

6 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I think she's talking about practice, not in a match (hopefully not anyway). 

I would never go up to a stage having not mentally rehearsed what I was about to do, so I would therefore not see much benefit in drawing a card and shooting the sweep without first mentally reviewing what I was going to do.  As I used to tell my football players, you play the way you practice.

No, I’m talking about in a match.  It’s a pretty simple sweep.  Just double tap each target, but the starting target is determined randomly on the clock.

Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of introducing an element of chance into a match.  Everyone is shooting different stages when you do that.  If it was a monthly I could get over that (done it before).

The people who draw an end card will have the edge.  If that applies to pistols and rifle the edge will be even bigger as drawing a middle card will make it a bit harder to remember where to start with your second pistol.

YMMV.

Ya know ....... It's not necessarily about being the Quickest, The Fastest, Or Biggest Brain.  Sometimes, ...... It's all about having FUN. Far too many shooters have forgotten, ....... the he original reason for SASS was to go out and have fun.  For some reason, some find it real difficult to laugh at themselves whilst having fun.  It doesn't always have to be about "Winning."

37 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ya know ....... It's not necessarily about being the Quickest, The Fastest, Or Biggest Brain.  Sometimes, ...... It's all about having FUN. Far too many shooters have forgotten, ....... the he original reason for SASS was to go out and have fun.  For some reason, some find it real difficult to laugh at themselves whilst having fun.  It doesn't always have to be about "Winning."

Yeah, I've heard that some people actually shoot these matches for fun.  I get up at 6:15 on my day off and drive 2 hours one way to shoot in 20+ degree weather strictly to be miserable, nothing to do do with fun. :wacko:

Here's an idea.  Some people's idea of fun is to go out and shoot a match that is fair, compete against really good shooters, and do well.  Other people's idea of fun is to produce really large quantities of smoke with lots of flame and noise.  Other's like to pick out their favorite set of chaps from the 100s they own (I'm looking at you Koda Joe) and dress to the nines.  

They're all having fun, it's just that they enjoy different aspects of the game.

This idea that shooters who want to shoot really fast aren't in the game to have fun is pretty silly.  

I don't know how matches turn out in your neck of the woods, but around here it's not uncommon for the the difference between first and second place be less than a second.  Introduce the element of chance into that and you could end up with someone winning because they got lucky, from my perspective that's no fun at all.

If all the sweeps are double tap and all you're doing is designate the starting target I've seen that done by using four targets, a heart, a club, a spade and a diamond.  Whichever one you draw you start on that target.  You could also designate the targets 1-4 (or 5 whatever you choose) then leave only cards with those numbers in the deck. 

I've also seen stages where whichever one you drew you had to skip that target.

I'm not advocating this as I don't like the chance element, but it's a solution to what you're trying to achieve.

We shot a monthly at Wartrace many years ago where there were ten targets in a row for rifle and ten for pistol. The targets had large numbers,  zero and one through nine. Each shooter wrote their SASS number on a chalk board then shot their number. This was before six digit numbers came along. It is true that some numbers were marginally advantageous, I only needed fours and sixes (SASS 46646)  and I got lost. But it was fun. I dont think many folks would like it now.

Imis 

My range is 5 near and 5 far targets with 2 stations, so I've come up with the following table of 36 items for randomly generating named sweeps and compatible challenges.  I'm not sure what I could add to bring the total number up to 52 for a card deck.  Any ideas?

A 36 member list of sweep patterns (10 rounds on 5 near and 5 far targets) and applicable challenges selectable using 2 rolls of a 6 sided die.  Any sweep may be shot in reverse.

1 then 1           Double B Sweep                     1-2-3-2-1-5-4-3-4-5

1 then 2           Ozark Sweep                          1-5-2-4-3-1-5-2-4-3

1 then 3           Strider Sweep                         3-2-1-2-3-3-4-5-4-3

1 then 4           Wyoming Sweep                    1-2-3-4-5-5-4-3-2-1

1 then 5           Badger Sweep                        1-2-3-4-1-2-3-1-2-1

1 then 6           Boss Hayes Sweep                1-2-3-4-2-3-4-3-4-4

2 then 1           Delta Glen Sweep                   1-2-2-3-2-2-1-2-2-3

2 then 2           Desperado Sweep                  1-2-2-3-3-3-3-4-4-5

2 then 3           Double Tap Sweep                 1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4-5-5

2 then 4           Hermit Joe Sweep                  1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5-1-6

2 then 5           Idaho Sweep                           1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4

2 then 6           John Wayne Sweep               1-2-3-3-2-1-1-2-3-3

3 then 1           Kansas City Sweep                1-1-2-2-3-3-2-2-1-1

3 then 2           Missouri Hillbilly Sweep          1-1-2-3-4-4-3-2-1-1

3 then 3           Mustang Sweep                      1-1-1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5

3 then 4           Palindrome Sweep                 1-1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4-4

3 then 5           Progressive Sweep                 1-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4-4

3 then 6           32/32 Sweep                           1-1-1-2-2-3-3-3-4-4

4 then 1           Arkansas Shuffle `                  1-1-2-3-3-5-5-4-3-3

4 then 2           Brat Sweep                             1-3-2-3-1-5-3-4-3-5

4 then 3           Hoptoad Shuffle                      2-1-2-3-2-4-5-4-3-5

4 then 4           Hooten Sweep                        1-2-3-5-4-5-4-3-1-2

4 then 5           Indiana Sweep                        2-2-1-2-3-4-4-3-5-4

4 then 6           Jackrabbit Sweep                   1-3-5-4-2-5-3-1-2-4

5 then 1           Nevada Sweep                       1-2-3-2-1-5-4-3-4-5

5 then 2           Single Tap                               1-2-3-4-5-1-2-3-4-5

5 then 3           Double Tap                             1-1-2-2-3-3-4-4-5-5

5 then 4           Dump Target                           3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3

5 then 5           Rifle First

5 then 6           Ten Target Sweep

6 then 1           Different Sweeps

6 then 2           2 Pistol Sweeps

6 then 3           Distant Targets

6 then 4           Station Change

6 then 5           Split Rifle

6 then 6           Split Pistol

Rifle First                          Start with the rifle instead of the pistol.

Ten Target Sweep      For both pistol and rifle, 1st 5 shots on near targets and second 5 on far.

Different Sweeps        Roll 2 sweeps. Use one sweep with pistol and the other with rifle.

2 Pistol Sweeps          Roll 2 sweeps. Use the 1st 5 shots of one sweep with one pistol and the last 5 shots of the other sweep with the other pistol.

Distant Targets            Shoot the pistols on the far targets instead of the near targets.

Station Change           Move to another station after firing at least 5 shots and before firing the last 5 shots, shooter’s choice.

Split Rifle.                     Fire at least 5 pistol shots in between the 1st and last 5 rifle shots.

Split Pistol                   Fire at least 5 rifle shots in between the 1st and last 5 pistol shots.

Archived