SASS Wire Forum

44-40 on a progressive press?

July Smith

18 hours ago, Amarillo Rattler said:

1,000s of BP 44-40 on a Dillon Square Deal.

Recently attached a 10 ga wire to a 10’ copper grounding rod to the Dillon so I could run the full progressive cycle, Instead of charging the primed brass on a Lyman 55.

Happy reloader now.

Just sayin’

Amarilo Rattler

Dillons makes its own special dies for the SDB and as mentioned above I've loaded a bunch of 44-40 also without a problem.

My biggest concern is worrying about cowboys stepping on the spent shells at SASS matches

59 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

My biggest concern is worrying about cowboys stepping on the spent shells at SASS matches

This is not really a problem as the cases can be straightened out enough to get into the sizer using a tapered punch.  Once sized, load as normal.  Any minor dents will straighten out during firing.

I have been loading 44-40 on a Dillon Sq Deal B for years.....its been working for me.....quite well.  make sure you lube the cases when resizing.

Use clean brass, Hornady aerosol lube, 231 or Trail Boss, moly coated lead and keep your bevel to a minimum.  Just be certain of overall length and degree of crimp that you want.  I will also load 777 fff in the BP rounds.

I have also loaded some 200 gr Hornady XTP's JHP with Unique behind them for woods carry. Use these only in a Blackhawk,  OMV or Marlin if that lucky to have one.  .

The gun I shoot is an OMV, 7 1/2 barrel.  Hope this helps......

1 hour ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

I have been loading 44-40 on a Dillon Sq Deal B for years.....its been working for me.....quite well.  make sure you lube the cases when resizing.

Howdy Hashknife, been trying to decide on loadin 44/40 on SDB or the 550. The SDB is already set up for LPP so i'll probably go with it.  Are there any quirks or tip's on set up you could share ? Also are you loading black or smokeless ?  Just wondering how black would meter. Thank's.

2 hours ago, Deadshot Dan said:

Howdy Hashknife, been trying to decide on loadin 44/40 on SDB or the 550. The SDB is already set up for LPP so i'll probably go with it.  Are there any quirks or tip's on set up you could share ? Also are you loading black or smokeless ?  Just wondering how black would meter. Thank's.

Pretty sure the 550 comes set up for large primers also but changing it is not difficult. The machine can seem intimidating at first but if you watch the video instructions and follow them it is really pretty straight forward. The additional benefit of the 550 in this case would be the ability to do other calibers. Once you use one you will want to do other calibers on it as well. (unless 44/40 is your only caliber, in which case the SDB is ideal)

I just figured the SDB doesn't get as much use as the 550 and is already set up for LPP.  Just tossin ideas around, i would love to get a set of match gun's put together in 44/40 black powder and shoot classic cowboy.

Over a thousand of 44WCF on a Stock Dillon Square Deal B. Zero issues, no crumpled cases and good crimps. Took my time setting up and careful while loading. I can knock out 200 in an hour or less. I switch to a lee single for "Special 44WCF Rifle Loads" and all other calibers. 

• 4 weeks later...

I need to load 44/40 on my 550. I have the shell plate from my 38/40 so that works. I have a powder funnel from my .44 Special. Going to use 200Gr.  sized .430. I was going to use that instead of the  Dillon 44-40 one at .427. The .44 Special looks to be about the same at .428.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, Bugler said:

Best advice regardless of what equipment is used is to make absolutely sure the casings are going straight into the die.....slow down until you develop a feel for things.

As already mentioned be sure to lube.....many of us use Hornady One Shot Spray Lube.

Bugler

The bench the press is mounted on must be rock solid; otherwise you will crush cases.  I learned the hard way crushing a few 45C cases until I bolted the bench my XL650 is mounted  on.  Bolted it into two studs and I almost never crush a case mouth.  The press came with Dillon 45C dies which besides being easy to clean bullet lube out of the seating & crimping dies the decapping & sizing die has more flare at the base than other mfg's dies.

My advice is you order the press with the automatic case feeder.  The std. case feed tube only holds 14 45C cases; so, you spend a lot of time refilling the tube.  Not so much a PITA if you're reloading 380 Auto.  You can spend a lot of money investing in tool heads, powder dies, conversion kits, small & large primer systems, bullet feeder & bullet feeder die for all the calibers you will load on the XL650.  Then there are aftermarket press enhancements like the Arredondo powder bar micrometer kit.   Another worthwhile enhancement is the light weight detent ball, reduced power detent spring & shell plate bearing kit.  This reduces the snap when the shell plate advances.  This is especially important if loading Trail Boss.  The flat donut shaped grains fly out of the case advancing from powder station to powder check station and then to the bullet feed station.  Some other worthwhile enhancements are spent prime chute & live primer chute.  These practically eliminate the possibility of spent primer & live primer spills.  A couple of other enhancements reduce the operating force by replacing sliding surfaces with ball bearings.

I load 44-40 & 38-40 on a Dillon 550. I use the rcbs cowboy dies with the Redding profile crimp die & get good results. I stopped loading those two on my 650 because I’d get a few crushed mouths plus the 550 is easier to set up.

Archived