SASS Wire Forum

Front sights on long range rifles?

Howdy all,

Front barrel sights may vary from simple blades to period hooded wind gauge designs using interchangeable sight inserts and having a spirit level mounted integral with the sight or sight base. 

I have read the handbook but not sure what "period hooded wind gauge design" is exactly. I was looking at this lyman sight https://www.midwayusa.com/product/752564/lyman-globe-front-target-sight-17ahb-404-height-3-8-dovetail-steel-blue at Midway. Does this sight qualify?

Thanks for the help.

It is Legal !!!

No level , but not all shooters need that ...

I suggest buying a Set of Lee Shaver inserts ,,, they are far better than the Lyman ones , and They give you more options ...

Jabez Cowboy

Here are sights from the 1879-1880 Sharps catalog. The sights you chose look very close. I'm sure somebody like OLG can give you exact information on what you need.

Scan045.jpg

Scan046.jpg

That Lyman is GTG.

I suggest you check out the MVA Buffalo Soule rear sights and their #113 front sight.

https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/

I also suggest a 'lollipop' type front sight insert.

Ron Snover makes the best ones-

1245 Delta Valley Rd.
Greeneville, TN 37745

423-234-0184

rwsnover@comcast.net

OLG

How far is long range for you?  If its a few hundred yards, then the Lyman site will work OK.  If you go for longer ranges, then the addition of a level will be appreciated.  The level helps to prevent canting the rifle over at an angle, canting vs not canting makes a very big difference at longer ranges. 

While I like the MVA Soule type rear sights, I do not care for their front globe sights.  Its design has a small tab that retains the inserts.  When the tab breaks off (and it will, when it hooks on something), then its “poof” by-by insert.   If you want a reliable front sight, get one similar to the Lyman but with a level.  There are several makers of high-quality front globe sights with levels like Baldwin – Shaver – Kelley.  None of them are cheap, but high quality never is.  A great vender for all sorts of long-range support equipment is Buffalo Arms.

As for the shape of the insert, use an aperture type (the ones with the holes in the middle of the insert).  Over the years, countless long-range shooters have been proven the aperture type to be the most optimal sight.

I have used the Crosshair as a Front site for many years ,, It must be a fine cross hair ...

I like the one from Lee Shaver and have used it out to 1,300 yards on my .40-65  Highwall....

I have used a Crosshair front site on a .303  Service target rifle out to 2,500 yards ....

That was a while ago when my eyes were younger ...  And my Belly trimmer ...

Jabez Cowboy

The protruding tab issue on the front of the MVA globe sight housings, is easy filed back to keep it from snag'n.

I have used MVA front sights for 15+ yrs on our Shiloh Sharps, and haven't broke one yet.

OLG

Thanks everyone for the information. So now that I know what "period hooded wind gauge design" is I need to decide what the proper height is for my rifle. How does a pard go about determining what the correct height of the sight should be? The sight can be bought with hight ranging from .464 - .852 so how do you know which one you wnat. I plan on putting this on my Marlin 1895 with an 18" barrel with a Marble's tang sight. I don't plan to shoot much past 300 yards.  

1 hour ago, Marshal Jack Murphy SASS #32018 said:

How does a pard go about determining what the correct height of the sight should be? 

Brownell's has a real nice Sight Height Calculator that you can use to figure that out.

You can find it HERE: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=13186

Keeping the front site as low as possible allows you to use a shorter Staff on your rear site ,,, there by allowing for better contact with your face and Shoulder ...

Jabez Cowboy

When using a front sight "lollipop",  how do you determined which size to use?  In other words, how much daylight do you like to see around the target?  

...Too Tall...

3 hours ago, Marshal Too Tall, SASS #36690 said:

When using a front sight "lollipop",  how do you determined which size to use?  In other words, how much daylight do you like to see around the target?  

...Too Tall...

Rule of thumb is, the target takes 1/3-1/2 of the inside dia.

That will vary with lighting, and target background.

Also-your rear sight opening comes into play here.

I use a .135 inside dia lollipop, on a 30" barreled Sharps.

Ron Snover's inserts are in .005 steps in dia.

OLG

While some Folks Like Lollipop Sites , they work best on round targets .

Animal shapes and other non round shapes not so much ... I my Opinion ...

Jabez Cowboy

For the good of the order - talking about sights for long range shooting:

Vernier Sights: Buy ONE good set: 2" staff with windage or a Soule sight.  Will give sufficient elevation to 600yds.  Depending on the rifle, primarily single shots with different receiver elevation ... a 3" staff may be necessary for 800 - to 1000yds shooting

*** Then for additional rifle vernier sights - Just buy the bases from the same vendor you bought the ONE complete sight.  You will save a lot of money because the staff can be used on the same multiple bases, rifle make and hole distance specific

Foresights:

A windage - globe - bubble sight is expensive.  Instead all of my single shots, Sharps, Ballards and Stevens have either a Lyman 17A or a Beach Combination sight. I adjust the windage using the vernier sight for windage.  For the glass bubble capability, I remove the barrel receiver sight and replace it with a glass bubble one.  Cheaper and with long barrel rifles, the bubble is much easier to see through the ocular of the vernier rear sight

Buy a MVA 113 front and a 100 for the rear. Some day you may start shooting Buffalo match then you will be ready,  They are fun.

Archived