SASS Wire Forum

Stopping rust in a rifle magazine

Nawlins Kid  SASS #36107

First step is to realize the rifles come from the manufacturer with rust in the Mag Tube.  Second step is to get that "no extra cost rust" completely out of the tube.  Then treat the inside of the tube with a rust inhibitor/lube like One Shot or Boeshield T-9, and some other treatments/waxes.  Then a Stainless Spring and Follower.  and.  KEEP IT CLEAN

In some climates, it won't hurt to remove the Magazine Plug between matches.  KEEP IT CLEAN

PS:  When you put a liner in the tube, you just get rust between the liner and inside of the tube.  You will still need to get in there and get after it on a real regular basis.

I live in Ontario, Canada, where it gets quite humid in summer. (In winter, not so much - we have to use humidifiers to add moisture to the dry air.)

I just pass a swab with #9 Hoppes down the mag tubes every other time I clean the rifles.

I store them in Bore Store bags from Brownells and run a de humidifier (summer) in my gun room with a silica desiccant device in the safe itself.

Only Black Powder for 12 years plus.

1st step in cleaning is packing the bottom of the carrier with a wad of paper towel at the follower level before spraying the diluted Windex with vinegar down the chamber and muzzle.

Wait 5-10 minutes to clean the bore( Remington Squeegee, then 10 strokes of wet nylon brush, then 5 dry patches, then Bore Butter on a bore swab).

Remove the moist paper towel from the bottom of the carrier. Wipe all surfaces with a dry paper towel patch held with a hemostat.

Spray the receiver with Eezox.

Has worked for 10 years plus for me.

Clean as a WHISTLE!

Amarillo Rattler

On 1/28/2019 at 1:25 PM, Nawlins Kid said:

What is your favorite method of preventing rust in a rifle magazine.

This is my go to.

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Casey-Barricade-Preventive-Aerosol/dp/B004I9MFHU

Randy

Here is the problem with rust in the magazine tubes and why a stainless spring won’t solve the problem.

As Coffinmaker said, a lot of the Italian rifles seem to come with the mag tubes pre-rusted.  The reason is that some of the residue from the blueing salts wasn’t flushed from the tube.  When the tube is cleaned with a petroleum based cleaner, the salt residue is NOT removed because salt is not soluble in petroleum products.  Salt IS soluble in water.  

To to prevent rust in your magazine tube, clean it like you would clean a black powder rifle - with hot soapy water.  You only have to clean it once like this to remove all of the salt residue.  After that keep it clean and lubed or waxed or whatever is your preference and it will stay rust free.  Also clean the stock magazine spring with the hot soapy water the same way and you won’t need a stainless spring.

Salt is hygroscopic, meaning that it attracts and absorbs moisture from the air.  If you just cover the salt residue, it will still attract moisture as soon as the cover wears off.

I live in Florida, which is about as humid as it gets.  My hunting guns, including guns that I duck hunted with never had a problem with the mag tube rusting.  Some of my ‘97 shotguns and original ‘73 and ‘92 Winchester’s are over 100 years old and were used hard in a humid Florida climate.  None of them have rusting problems in their magazine tubes.  My Uberti ‘73’s did have rust problems in the mag tubes until I cleaned them with hot soapy water.  Now, no more problem.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

1.  use a stainless spring and stainless follower if possible.

2. wax the inside of the tube with carnuba wax and polish it dry.

3. minimize your moisture problems.

4. try not to handle your ammo with sweaty, wet hands.   

5. do not store your rifles (or pistols) in a rug.

..........Widder

After doing this for 25+ years I found this is what worked best for me too! 

6 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Here is the problem with rust in the magazine tubes and why a stainless spring won’t solve the problem.

As Coffinmaker said, a lot of the Italian rifles seem to come with the mag tubes pre-rusted.  The reason is that some of the residue from the blueing salts wasn’t flushed from the tube.  When the tube is cleaned with a petroleum based cleaner, the salt residue is NOT removed because salt is not soluble in petroleum products.  Salt IS soluble in water.  

To to prevent rust in your magazine tube, clean it like you would clean a black powder rifle - with hot soapy water.  You only have to clean it once like this to remove all of the salt residue.  After that keep it clean and lubed or waxed or whatever is your preference and it will stay rust free.  Also clean the stock magazine spring with the hot soapy water the same way and you won’t need a stainless spring.

Salt is hygroscopic, meaning that it attracts and absorbs moisture from the air.  If you just cover the salt residue, it will still attract moisture as soon as the cover wears off.

I live in Florida, which is about as humid as it gets.  My hunting guns, including guns that I duck hunted with never had a problem with the mag tube rusting.  Some of my ‘97 shotguns and original ‘73 and ‘92 Winchester’s are over 100 years old and were used hard in a humid Florida climate.  None of them have rusting problems in their magazine tubes.  My Uberti ‘73’s did have rust problems in the mag tubes until I cleaned them with hot soapy water.  Now, no more problem.

Well,

I tried just about every method folks have suggested with the exception of hot soapy water. I'll give it a try after my next match. The post is free, the advice is free, so what do I have to lose. Thank you Sam.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

9 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Sam told me this years ago and it has worked for me.....

Stan

Rust converters will remove bluing.  Some build up and leave a coating that is thick enough I would be hesitant.  If you scrub out the rust, a simple way to reduce future rusting is to season the metal by warming it up and wiping it down with a vegetable based oil and then bake the part for 20 minutes at 350.  Place it at an angle so any excess oil drains out while cooking.

Archived