SASS Wire Forum

Stopping rust in a rifle magazine

Nawlins Kid  SASS #36107

What is your favorite method of preventing rust in a rifle magazine.

I will be here in Western NY for awhile longer.

I have a stainless spring and follower. Replaced tube 2 yrs ago.

38 minutes ago, Nawlins Kid said:

I have a stainless spring and follower. Replaced tube 2 yrs ago.

In a test that compared 20 or 30 gun lubricants/rust inhibitors, Hornady One Shot Dry lube and WD-40 Long-term corrosion inhibitor were determined to be the best at preventing rust from forming.

image.jpg

Clean tube, follower and spring real well.  Use stainless parts for spring and follower if you can. 

Then, I use Boeshield T9 spray lube because it dries and leaves a coat of wax on the metal.   Spray,  then use a clean patch on a 45 caliber or even 20 gauge brush to apply the lube to all parts of the tube inside wall.  

Eezox lube is another that sticks well and dries with a rust preventing coat.

Every 6 months, if shooting smokeless, or every month if shooting BP or subs, repeat.

Good luck, GJ

I live in Humid Ohio and shoot black powder, so I clean my guns after every shoot.

As part of my standard cleaning process, I pull the magazine plug, take out the spring and follower,  and run a cleaning rod down the magazine  tube.

It has a lube-soaked patch, backed by three  squares of 2 x 2 paper towel (cuz the tube has a large diameter).

I also wipe the spring with oil, put some grease on the plug threads, and reassemble.

It really only takes a few minutes.

I do the same with my wife"s smokeless rifle, but i only clean it a couple times a season.

I do the same with the rifles that have SS magazine springs, cuz I'm anal and it really only takes a bit of time.

--Dawg

10 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I live in Humid Ohio and shoot black powder, so I clean my guns after every shoot.

As part of my standard cleaning process, I pull the magazine plug, take out the spring and follower,  and run a cleaning rod down the magazine  tube.

It has a lube-soaked patch, backed by three  squares of 2 x 2 paper towel (cuz the tube has a large diameter).

I also wipe the spring with oil, put some grease on the plug threads, and reassemble.

It really only takes a few minutes.

I do the same with my wife"s smokeless rifle, but i only clean it a couple times a season.

I do the same with the rifles that have SS magazine springs, cuz I'm anal and it really only takes a bit of time.

--Dawg

All of this, 'cept I use a shotgun bore mop.

I don't worry about my wife's smokeless rifle because she doesn't own one. :rolleyes: :lol:  Bad joke I know, but what the hey.

I solved a recurring mag tube rust problem by re-bluing the inside of the tube.  I thoroughly cleaned and polished the inside with brass chore boy scrubbers & Hoppes #9 to remove all rust.  Then I washed with hot soapy water & rinsed with very hot water.  After complete drying, I made half a dozen applications of cold blue.  I didn't bother to polish between bluing application as I didn't care if the blue was shiny on the inside of the mag tube.  That & stainless spring & follower has deterred any rust. 

I also clean periodically & for sure after loading damp ammo on a wet shooting day. 

5 minutes ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

I solved a recurring mag tube rust problem by re-bluing the inside of the tube.  I thoroughly cleaned and polished the inside with brass chore boy scrubbers & Hoppes #9 to remove all rust.  Then I washed with hot soapy water & rinsed with very hot water.  After complete drying, I made half a dozen applications of cold blue.  I didn't bother to polish between bluing application as I didn't care if the blue was shiny on the inside of the mag tube.  That & stainless spring & follower has deterred any rust. 

I also clean periodically & for sure after loading damp ammo on a wet shooting day. 

This

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Oil it often and shoot it .:FlagAm:   and you NY guys  should not keep your guns stored in the snow during the off season..:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Nawlins Kid said:

I will be here in Western NY for awhile longer.

The wife and I are having serious discussions about moving to Texas.  Want to get away from the taxes, gun laws and abortion laws.

1.  use a stainless spring and stainless follower if possible.

2. wax the inside of the tube with carnuba wax and polish it dry.

3. minimize your moisture problems.

4. try not to handle your ammo with sweaty, wet hands.   

5. do not store your rifles (or pistols) in a rug.

..........Widder

Nickle plate it

4 hours ago, Nawlins Kid said:

What is your favorite method of preventing rust in a rifle magazine.

Johnson's paste wax.

12 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Johnson's paste wax.

Inside/ outside/ all metal and wood too       GW

30 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Johnson's paste wax.

Question, with the spring moving and hitting the sides of the magazine  would you not possibly get a build up of wax falling into the action?

Another thing we get is we get hot humid weather around here in summer would the wax stay wet?

Nickel City ..... I have Bad News

The "only" way to escape taxes is ...... Die.

The "only" way to avoid Gun Laws ..... Become a Criminal

The "only" way to avoid Abortion Laws ........ Abstinence 

YOU SURE????

28 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Nickel City ..... I have Bad News

The "only" way to escape taxes is ...... Die.

The "only" way to avoid Gun Laws ..... Become a Criminal

The "only" way to avoid Abortion Laws ........ Abstinence 

YOU SURE????

CC

I know that I can’t escape them completely but Texas has fewer taxes, more gun friendly gun laws and for the most part they murder fewer babies.  Still only in the talking stages of moving to Texas but we are talking more & more about it all the time.

NCD

As others have stated, the wax works very well.  Widder and I share the same gunsmith and he's the one who suggested wax to me.  Southeastern Tennessee is extremely hot and humid most of the year and I haven't had any problems with wax melting in the magazine tube of my .44-40 73 that I use for BP.  In our .357 73s, that we use for smokeless powder, I oil the mag tubes and we use aluminum magazine liners with SS followers and springs. 

I remove my guns from their gun rugs as soon as I get home and they are stored in gun safes with dehumidifiers.  I also run a huge central air conditioning unit in the house that helps with dehumidification.  I mention that because my brother who lives in Wisconsin, still doesn't have an air conditioner.      

For a while, stainless steel replacement magazine tubes were available.  If they're still around, someone on this forum would know.

2 hours ago, Nawlins Kid said:

Question, with the spring moving and hitting the sides of the magazine  would you not possibly get a build up of wax falling into the action?

Another thing we get is we get hot humid weather around here in summer would the wax stay wet?

No.

and

No.

26 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

No.

and

No.

Thanks. I do use a Stainless spring and follower. My safe has the heating rod and I use two  de humidifier plastic containers and my house has air conditioning . It just seems that my magazine tube on my 73 has a problem. Once I get it back together I will be working on the mises Marlin . With all the snow outside I'm not be able to go shoot.

You would be shocked at how little effort I have put into keeping mag tubes clean and how well it works.  I shoot black powder and have 2 1873's that still have original springs and followers after shooting SASS and practice with BP for over 15 years.  I tore them down recently and they were still just fine-not a speck of rust anywhere.

so, if I had to give advice it would be

shoot a load that seals the chamber from blowback

Clean barrel with a fired case in the chamber with water, rubbing alcohol and  and murphys oil soap mixed in equal quantities

spay out action with same mixture liberally and wipe off excess from external of the gun and removing any soot from the metal

Allow gun to dry  and put in safe

It doesn't get any easier than that.

I replaced my magazine tubes with stainless steel tubes, springs and followers in my 73s. Although I still clean them once in a while.  I don't think stainless steel tubes are available at this time.  

I mostly shot real BP for the last couple of decades. I haven't had a problem with rust in the mag tube since I started cleaning the rifles upside down in the rifle rack.

JA

Archived