SASS Wire Forum

SAA Broken Hand - Know a good gunsmith?

flightlessgreeb

The older of my two SAA clones appears to have a small chip in the hand that is possibly causing some issues with the cylinder binding up or not timing properly. The gun itself is an EMF Great Western Alchimista II, built off a Pietta. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cowboy smith who does repairs? Ive seen lots of reccs for action work but I wasnt sure if those would be the same people to contact.

the same smiths can take care of it,,   Or like warden said, diy,,,, cheaper and faster,,, and if it then needs timed a bit, take it to a smith

43 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OP-Can you do a full tear down of this revolver?

Is this nick on the top, or the second 'shelf' of the hand?

Can you post any pictures?

OLG

It's on the second shelf of the hand, I may be able to grab some pictures tonight. Funny enough it never even occurred to me to send it back to EMF themselves. I talked to their gunsmith this morning and it sounds like the work is pretty cheap, they do have a bit of a back log but I can always borrow another SAA from a friend for the shoot itself. 

I'm leaning towards sending it in just because I bought the thing used years ago and it's had an odd problem or two on and off across the years. I'm not 100% certain the hand is the only thing wrong with it. 

12 minutes ago, flightlessgreeb said:

It's on the second shelf of the hand, I may be able to grab some pictures tonight. Funny enough it never even occurred to me to send it back to EMF themselves. I talked to their gunsmith this morning and it sounds like the work is pretty cheap, they do have a bit of a back log but I can always borrow another SAA from a friend for the shoot itself. 

I'm leaning towards sending it in just because I bought the thing used years ago and it's had an odd problem or two on and off across the years. I'm not 100% certain the hand is the only thing wrong with it. 

I personally think taking it back to EMF is the best option in this case. 

That said there's probably some knowledgable cowboys at your club that would be glad to help troubleshoot. I believe @Redwood Kid is in Oakland.

Make sure it's unloaded(I know you know that, but it has to be said).

Point the gun up and pull the hammer back. Does the cylinder turn? If not it's probably a weak or broken hand spring. 

If it does turn it could be a weak or broken hammer/bolt spring. You'll need to pull the grip fram off and check.

A competent gunsmith would be able to replace the hand no problem. There has to be some in your area!

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I personally think taking it back to EMF is the best option in this case. 

That said there's probably some knowledgable cowboys at your club that would be glad to help troubleshoot. I believe @Redwood Kid is in Oakland.

I am indeed and while I shoot at 5 clubs, that one is where I started and consider it my home club.

2 hours ago, flightlessgreeb said:

Have we met before or shot together? You would know me as I am the guy that always shoots black powder, gunfighter with two barrels smoking, and usually shooting a completely different set of Hollywood themed guns every match. I'd be more than happy to take a look at it if you want. I also have plenty of extra pistols, including a few great westerns, you can use as well. Do you shoot at any other clubs? I try to make Richmond as often as possible, but they only shoot matches every other weekend and it's a 50/50 shot if I am free on any weekend since my wife works every other weekend and I have the kids then.

Redwood - no we've never met, altho if you're going to be at the February shoot for Richmond we'll surely meet then! I'll probably bring the gun by in case anyone has time to check it out. 

The other issues it has are once in maybe 100 rounds the cylinder will bind up, hasn't happened in months but I never figured out why. And just yesterday while function checking it, it failed to lock up properly. I took it apart and noticed the notch in the hand which got me thinking. I have another SAA to compare it to which has an intact hand and it does indeed look like a break. 

Unfortunately no time to get the gun out of the safe today so it'll have to wait till tomorrow. I'm happy enough to send it to EMF - thankfully since it's going to an 07 FFL theres no need to ship to or through an FFL so I'll only be out the cost of shipping which isn't that bad. Local help for gunsmithing isn't anything I've had luck with in the past so I'm not going to count on it here either, unless someone at the next shoot has a recommendation. 

You have  to ship overnight UPS or Fedex

last one I shipped cost me $140 w insurance

You cannot ship via USPS unless you ar an ffl

or you can face felony charges  if receiving ffl reports you or package gets lost..... 

have it done locally

EMF

5 minutes ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

or you can face felony charges  if receiving ffl reports you or package gets lost..... 

have it done locally

EMF can create a shipping label and she can drop it off at UPS, OR Fedex with no trouble and pretty cheap.

4 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

have it done locally

Ive shipped a couple pistols in my time - thanks for the advice tho

5 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

EMF

EMF can create a shipping label and she can drop it off at UPS, OR Fedex with no trouble and pretty cheap.

That's what Taylor's did for me when I returned a Smoke Wagon to get the barrel turned.  But not all of the FedEx locations can accept it.  It had to be a real FedEx facility - not a drop off, pick up station.  Came back to me - not through an FFL.  Required signature. 

18 hours ago, Dutch Nichols, SASS #6461 said:

have it done locally

She lives in my area, and unfortunately the laws out here have driven most or maybe all of the good smiths out of the area/state. I do know a couple good smiths, but for 1911's rather than cowboy guns. Locally might not even be an option. I've been forced to learn how to maintain these guns myself, and know exactly where to send to out of state once a problem is outside of my abilities.

20 hours ago, flightlessgreeb said:

Redwood - no we've never met, altho if you're going to be at the February shoot for Richmond we'll surely meet then! I'll probably bring the gun by in case anyone has time to check it out. 

The other issues it has are once in maybe 100 rounds the cylinder will bind up, hasn't happened in months but I never figured out why. And just yesterday while function checking it, it failed to lock up properly. I took it apart and noticed the notch in the hand which got me thinking. I have another SAA to compare it to which has an intact hand and it does indeed look like a break. 

Unfortunately no time to get the gun out of the safe today so it'll have to wait till tomorrow. I'm happy enough to send it to EMF - thankfully since it's going to an 07 FFL theres no need to ship to or through an FFL so I'll only be out the cost of shipping which isn't that bad. Local help for gunsmithing isn't anything I've had luck with in the past so I'm not going to count on it here either, unless someone at the next shoot has a recommendation. 

If it's on the 9th, I won't be able to make it. I have never had to send anything back to EMF, but I know folks that have and they've had great results. But certainly ask the folks at Richmond. They may know more folks than I do, especially if you are willing to drive further than I am.

Here's what I did; when I first started out and got a pair of sixshooters, I was afraid to even touch em, let alone tear them down and work on em. So I bought a used "beater" gun on gunbroker, and took screwdrivers to that gun and learned. I made mistakes along the way, and broke several parts...but it wasn't on my "match guns" and in the end I learned so much. I watched lots of youtube as well for tear down instructions to help me out. Now, this gun serves as a practice gun and backup gun and was a good "trainer" to learn on.

So, as an alternative to sending it back to EMF (which you probably might want to do anyway just to have it looked over) perhaps eventually learning on your own how to service your guns would be better in the long run. I guarantee, this will not be the last time your gun(s) break a part and will need to be fixed again. And when that happens and you can handle it yourself, you'll feel awesome! Consider a spare beater gun to learn on; I sure am glad I went that route.

Archived