SASS Wire Forum

Can't remember your password?

Here's a novel approach.

Change your password to "incorrect".

This way when you log onto your computer and you type the wrong password, your computer will respond with an error message that states: "Your password is incorrect". :D

I was trying to log in to my phone account.

Enter phone number. Well, that's pretty simple.

Enter your eight digit PIN. EIGHT digit? Never heard of a pin with eight numbers. Sure hell don't know it.

Don't remember your PIN. Click here. Okie dokie. I can do that.

Enter your childhood nickname.

:blink:

Seriously? My childhood was 50 years ago.

Never did get in.

Howdy if you can find an address writing a letter with pen and ink on paper putting a stamp on an envelope and shipping it to them could you a surprising response because most people won't take the time. Best see AR

I have so many different passwords that I have to use an app on my phone called "Keeper" to keep track of them all.  Works like a champ!

23 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

I have so many different passwords that I have to use an app on my phone called "Keeper" to keep track of them all.  Works like a champ!

I've been using the same technique for years to remember passwords.  I write them in a notebook that stays on the computer desk.

It's hard to hack hard copy.

I use 3 different means of coming up with a password.  For sites that don't have any useful information associated with it (no address, real name, credit card information, and are linked to a email that was set up as a 'throwaway' for just such occasions), I have 3 passwords that I commonly use.

For sites with information that CAN link back to me, I use the above reloading data.

For sites that have sensitive information, I will look around, find a random object sitting in line of sight and combine it with the diameter of the ammunition I was loading last.  I figure something like "s!Lverpen358" or "bLu&75mug" is random enough that nobody's going to come up with it.  Intentional misspellings add a level of complexity- as long a you can remember how you did it.

At one time, the side of my computer tower looked like it had feathers from so many postit notes with passwords on them.  

I now have about six websites that require regular (one of them every six to eight weeks, the others are quarterly) password changes.  All of them require the use of the following:

Upper case letters, lower case letters, numerals and special characters.  Ampersand & , at @ and parenthesis () are excluded.  No password can be replicated in any 12 month period.  One of the sites won't let you replicate a password ever.  

One of them at least made it a bit easier by allowing you to use a root password, and changing the ending of it regularly.  Example:  You can keep your pet's name as the root password, but have to change the special character or a numeral in the password.  I'm currently up to the 29th changing of that password.

True story: Once my wife saw me get up from my computer, open my gun safe and take out one of my guns. I looked at it for a second before putting it back, closing the safe and going back to my PC. When she asked what the Hell I was doing I simply told her that I'd momentarily forgot my password. :huh:

4 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I hate passwords. Hate!

Bob:

I AGREE 1592204193_AgreeResponseemoji.JPG.df5a984c7ae4ae61a72766fe3590614e.JPG.

The really annoying sites are the ones that won't let you see what you yyped. When all that shows is ****, you don't realize you typoed.

Gmail, I believe it was, wouldn't let me in. I click on FORGOT YOUR PASSWORD. And they asked WHAT IS THE LAST PASSWORD YOU REMEMBER. I type (hasn't been one of mine for more than 15 years) mama. And they reply THAT IS THE PASSWORD.

Apparently I'd typed N instead of M one time, or maybe S instead of A. But since all I saw was ****, I didn't realize I'd misspelled it.

Howdy,

Years ago long before internet we had three character passwords.

Stop.  Now think of that three characters only.

Lots of folks used their initials.

We had three characters protecting critical production.

I came up with  (0)  and a lot of folks loved it.

Every 30 days we had to change too.

Best

CR

Today passwords are so much better.  

Archived