SASS Wire Forum

Uberti, pietta which should I go with for a dash caliber

grey ghost

Getting back into the game after a long time due to medical issues. 

Wife wants to play too. 

When I last completed it was for fun only, what would I really use in the old west kind of thing.

After a decade my go to was a pair of 38-40 colts with 5:1/2" tubes or a pair of San Marco guns identical to them with an original 73 38 wcf to go with.  Say what you will about san marco (yes, some were very horrible) a good one with an action job and and the internals heat treated they were great and really close in feel to a 2nd gen colt. 

Shot almost every gun I could, Remington and Schofield and bisley  but this is what I liked. Did most every caliber too. 

Uberti was great as well but I picked one up at a shop and am not fond of the new 3 click design, I might be able to get used to it but am not sure. 

From what I see if I want to go with 38 wcf uberti is it right now. 

I could do 44 wcf in a pietta which is my 2nd caliber choice. 

Also really prefer "black powder" frames 

I think wife has settled on 1890 Remingtons in 45,

Any input?

All new Uberti's will have the safety in the hammer, doesn't matter who the distributor is. Cimarron, Taylor's whatever!

Pietta still makes the "4 click" hammers but you can also get a transfer bar.

Just now, grey ghost said:

Do they have a true colt style firing pin?

Pietta that is

Yes

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Wife wants to play too. 

When I last completed it was for fun only, what would I really use in the old west kind of thing.

After a decade my go to was a pair of 38-40 colts with 5:1/2" tubes or a pair of San Marco guns identical to them with an original 73 38 wcf to go with.  Say what you will about san marco (yes, some were very horrible) a good one with an action job and and the internals heat treated they were great and really close in feel to a 2nd gen colt. 

Shot almost every gun I could, Remington and Schofield and bisley  but this is what I liked. Did most every caliber too. 

Uberti was great as well but I picked one up at a shop and am not fond of the new 3 click design, I might be able to get used to it but am not sure. 

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Wife wants to play too. 

I could do 44 wcf in a pietta which is my 2nd caliber choice. 

Any input?

Any input?

I have a pair of Californians in .44-40. with action job. Not a thing wrong with them. 

11 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Really wish they would do the 38 wcf then

You could always look for used Uberti's, probably not a lot of .38wcf's out there though!

On the other hand I have an Uberti Cattleman WITH the hammer safety, I’ve shot about 250 rounds and it’s fine. I don’t see the big deal about the 3 click thing! Nothing to worry about from my saddle !

29 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

A Peacemaker that doesn't do the four clicks is an emasculated handgun. I don't care if it still shoots just the same.

Better than a transfer bar!

Archived