SASS Wire Forum

7 shot rifle

cctmthompson

Yes you can load them right threw the ejection port just fine .

It will slow you down quite a bit. 

Everyone will try and tell you the Henry Big Boy wont work .

But I'm telling you from experience it will work just fine with moderately slow shooting. 

The will Not work with any speed at all.

If you are shooting 30 second or longer stages .

It should work with very little to no issues at all .

I shot a Clean Match with a new 44 mag straight out of the box at 30+ seconds per stage .

Just to see for myself how the gun would work .

And NO .

I don't use a Big Boy normally for SASS matches. 

Rooster 

PS.

There are many better rifles out there to play Cowboy .

Before you buy a new rifle ask some Pards at a shoot to try a rifle or two and you will find most Pards are willing to help you out .

Rooster

3 hours ago, cctmthompson said:

I have a 7 shot lever action, can you shoot sass with that until i can get a 10 shot rifle?

What caliber?

25 minutes ago, cctmthompson said:

.357/38

If it will cycle .38s you can probably get 8 or 9 in there. If you reload and load them at 1.50 oal, they'll probably cycle and get at least 8 in there. The important thing is GO shoot, be safe, have fun.

Like H. K. Uriah, I shoot a 7 shot .56-.50 Spencer from time to time.

When people tell you, "You can't be competitive with a [insert gun(s) of choice]", remember the only two competitive shooters at any given match are the one who's going to be first and the one trying to beat him. ;)

10 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If it will cycle .38s you can probably get 8 or 9 in there. If you reload and load them at 1.50 oal, they'll probably cycle and get at least 8 in there. The important thing is GO shoot, be safe, have fun.

What he said ^^^^^^^^

4 minutes ago, cctmthompson said:

Are you avle to hold ammo in hand while shooting?

No....well yes. It was to be taken to the line in a legal fashion...…..like in a belt or in your pocket etc. If you are a new shooter some clubs might let you stage the rifle rounds by the rifle but that's not legal either just possibly a temporary fix. 

I wonder would the henry BB cycle if you were to trim 38spl/357 cases to 38s&w length and load using 38s&w data? im looking at a 357 case I have on my bench next to a 38s&w and its nearly twice the length

A new shooter at our local match brought his ‘92 that has a nine round capacity.  Lucky for him, the first two stages had nine rifle targets.  He reloaded his rifle on at least one stage and borrowed a ‘73 for the others.

I always say bring what you have.  As long as its SASS-legal, you can use it.  Whatever you lack, someone will probably lend you.

8 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Doesn't 38 short Colt have a larger case head diameter than 38spl? 

Not to my knowledge.

.38 Short Colt made a little longer is .38 Long Colt made little longer is .38 Special made a little longer is .357 Magnum.

I use the same resizing die and shell holder for all 4 calibers.

I have fired the Short Colt round in a few pistols chambered for .38 Special and .357 Magnum.

To the naked eye, .38 Short Colt and .38 S&W look nearly identical.   But while the S&W round is very so slightly tapered, the Short Colt is a straight walled case.   When it comes to reloading lower power loads, some of my data for the two cartridges are identical.   I am shooting well below max loads in both calibers.  Factory Short Colt seems to be slightly milder than Factor S&W, which is significant given how weak the latter round is to begin with in its modern factory loading.  

Originally the short Colt used an heeled outside lubed bullet, like a .22 LR.  As such vintage guns will have a bore that is oversized for a standard .358" bullet.   For that reason, although I still use an inside the case .358" bullet, it is hollow based.   These work very well, for example, in my 1880's vintage Colt Lightning revolver.  But if you want to use the round as a "sub caliber" in a modernish gun chambered for Special/Mangum, you don't need to do that.  For example, factory Short Colt works well in my .38 Special chambered derringer.

I tried my Spencer (Repro) for a few stages.

I had to load three at the breech and I found my muzzle control caused me concern, until I found I could avoid a, loaded, cocked rifle, with muzzle over the berm, by not closing the action until the muzzle was pointed down range.

Slow, but many style points. LOL

Archived