SASS Wire Forum

NEW MEMBER QUESTION

Tequila Shooter

I've read the rules and I'm still a little unclear on something.  I'm using a Marlin 1894 model rifle in .45 Colt, Uberti Malo pistols also in .45 Colt and CZ external hammer 12 gauge coach sxs SG.  I'm confused what class I can shoot in, more specifically do I have the wrong rifle? Do I have to have a 1866 or earlier model?

You can shoot in any category except Classic Cowboy with your rifle.

You can shoot in any category except Frontiersman with your revolvers.

You're good to go in any category with your shotgun.

Welcome to the best game there is.

Welcome to the game Tequila, have a blast!!!! :lol:

image.png.84484a5319d60a67adec2aa4b7276b1f.png

Start with Cowboy or Wrangler. Run what you brung until you get your head wrapped around the game and then you can git particular about yer category. The good news is you can change it every darn match if that suits you. The point is to just git shootin'.

And welcome!

Come on out and have fun. Once you’ve shot  a few matches you can pick a category until then stick yer toe in the water and see what happens. I shot a match today with a couple of new shooters and both of them told me afterwards that they were hooked.

3 hours ago, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

Start with Cowboy or Wrangler. Run what you brung until you get your head wrapped around the game and then you can git particular about yer category. The good news is you can change it every darn match if that suits you. The point is to just git shootin'.

And welcome!

This is my plan.  New as well and I have no idea which category to do yet.  

As Mr. Imis has stated. Around here, I always recommend a new shooters to start in their age based category.

15 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome to the game  Now go get yourself a good hat

Imis

13 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

You could shoot in your appropriate age category with any of the arms you now have.

Imis

So you think they'd let me try with the guns I have?  There is a match this Saturday I don't want to make a fool out of myself. 

15 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome to the game  Now go get yourself a good hat

Imis

I see you're in TN, I used to live in Bradley County in the unincorporated part of Cleveland.

1 hour ago, Tequila Chase said:

So you think they'd let me try with the guns I have?  There is a match this Saturday I don't want to make a fool out of myself. 

I doubt any club will not let you shoot what you have, especially as a new shooter.  Go for it.

We all can make fools of ourselves, even experienced fools :D.  Take it slow and easy, ask the TO to assist you through the scenario and you'll have a great time.

1 hour ago, Tequila Chase said:

Yes. Contact the club and let them know you're coming.  At Wartrace they usually let a new shooter shoot on a stage before the safety meeting to make sure they can handle their guns, call it a pre-safety check. Anyway, you won't make a fool out of yourself or do anything that we haven't already done.

If anyone does say anything out of hand or poke fun let me and Imis know, we'll form a posse and have an old fashioned lynching; trust me though, it won't be necessary. 

GO shoot, HAVE fun, BE safe.

Also let me add to make sure you bring the right kind of ammo: see page 26:

https://sassnet.com/Downloads/Shooters Handbook Vers 23.2 MASTER COPY.pdf

If you don't have or can't get the right kind let the club know and I'm sure someone will bring extra; and it's nice to offer to pay for the used ammo even though most of us won't accept payment ;)

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Also let me add to make sure you bring the right kind of ammo: see page 26:

https://sassnet.com/Downloads/Shooters Handbook Vers 23.2 MASTER COPY.pdf

If you don't have or can't get the right kind let the club know and I'm sure someone will bring extra; and it's nice to offer to pay for the used ammo even though most of us won't accept payment ;)

Thanks for all the great advice!  I know I've got the right ammo, I reload my own, so I made sure I was loading with the correct components, 200 grain lead RNFP over Trail Boss powder.  I've been practicing at my local range and the ammo is very soft shooting, I've got about 600 rounds loaded I hope that'll be enough.

22 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

You can shoot in any category except Classic Cowboy with your rifle.

You can shoot in any category except Frontiersman with your revolvers.

You're good to go in any category with your shotgun.

Welcome to the best game there is.

+1 and as stated above:

Welcome to the best game and folks goin Tequila Chase.

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

600 ought to be about right. . A hundred to 120 for the match 5 or 6 stages. , 500 to practice with afterwards. And bring a box of 12 ga, mild, target loads. You wont need goose loads in CAS.

Imis

Welcome!  You’re not the first to find the category descriptions a little unclear.

Some clubs have an unofficial category for beginners so that new folks have a chance to get an award.  To keep it simple just sign up for “Cowboy” which is the “open” category:  Any age, any SASS-legal gear, any shooting style except Gunfighter.

I agree with the suggestion that you reach out to the match director or other designated contact ahead of time to let them know that you are interested in shooting.  They might recommend that you watch and learn the first time out, or they might take you through a pre-match orientation.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:36 AM, Tequila Chase said:

Absolutely.  I showed up to my first match with a hammered shotgun, a winchester mod 94 in 30-30, and 1 colt SAA; and a pard let me borrow his backup guns so I could shoot.  Even my ammo wasn't right.  i thought the lead nose on the 30-30 would be fine and I had hunting rounds for my shotgun.  You'll have to leave all your gear at home to look more foolish than I did. 

After taking the advice that I've read here I reached out to the local club.  I sent an email and heard back and I'm glad I did, they aren't having a match this weekend so I would've driven 1 ½ hours each way for nothing.  I guess I've got some more practice time.

38 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

After taking the advice that I've read here I reached out to the local club.  I sent an email and heard back and I'm glad I did, they aren't having a match this weekend so I would've driven 1 ½ hours each way for nothing.  I guess I've got some more practice time.

Not sure where you're at and you probably already know about this, but there might be other clubs not too far away

https://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Mississippi

https://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Louisiana

https://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Alabama

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not sure where you're at and you probably already know about this, but there might be other clubs not too far away

https://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Mississippi

https://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Louisiana

https://sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_list.php?state=Alabama

Thanks TC for taking the time to look.

Archived