SASS Wire Forum

Steam punk/ B Western

Boomstick Bruce

3 hours ago, Slick McClade said:

My club was the first to ever incorporate a Steampunk category in a big two day match. Only requirement was the shooter must dress steampunk.... goggles...gears and gadgets .... so on. We had a huge success with it, even the Judge SASS#1 dressed up( yes I have pics). I allowed any sass legal guns and any shooting style could be used and even changed from stage to stage if desired. It was a hoot and somewhere along the way as it grew from club to club it lost the fun and luster. 

I could get into that. That'd be like b western kinda. It makes sense, both tying in with the big screen but totally different ends of the spectrum and cowboy being the common theme. Wouldn't have to have two rigs and different guns to go back and forth between categories either. If it was this way, I'd do it sometimes.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I could get into that. That'd be like b western kinda. It makes sense, both tying in with the big screen but totally different ends of the spectrum and cowboy being the common theme. Wouldn't have to have two rigs and different guns to go back and forth between categories either. If it was this way, I'd do it sometimes.

Exactly! 

On 1/27/2019 at 9:11 PM, Slick McClade said:

My club was the first to ever incorporate a Steampunk category in a big two day match. Only requirement was the shooter must dress steampunk.... goggles...gears and gadgets .... so on. We had a huge success with it, even the Judge SASS#1 dressed up( yes I have pics). I allowed any sass legal guns and any shooting style could be used and even changed from stage to stage if desired. It was a hoot and somewhere along the way as it grew from club to club it lost the fun and luster. 

It hasn't lost its "luster".  At least not to those of us who dress out each week.  

Slick, you may recall that I reached out to you first about the idea of "formalizing" some rules for Steampunk.  You said just what you wrote.  What would be the difference of someone who really worked at their costume vs. someone who slapped a pair of goggles on their hat and called it quits.

That's why several of us came up with the idea of having a minimum number of "elements", and ensuring that the "elements" were Steampunk themed.  

We're having fun over on this side of the South.

4 minutes ago, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

It hasn't lost its "luster".  At least not to those of us who dress out each week.  

Slick, you may recall that I reached out to you first about the idea of "formalizing" some rules for Steampunk.  You said just what you wrote.  What would be the difference of someone who really worked at their costume vs. someone who slapped a pair of goggles on their hat and called it quits.

That's why several of us came up with the idea of having a minimum number of "elements", and ensuring that the "elements" were Steampunk themed.  

We're having fun over on this side of the South.

Glad things are still going good in GA and hope it continues. The thing about new categories is keeping it cost effective for the newcomers or people that show interest. Kinda like a BW costume, you can go super blinding flashy or go to Walmart/Tractor supply and buy a $10 button up shirt , $4 scarf , $15 tractor supply spurs, wear your blue jeans and bam your legally dressed. Both meet the requirements but the later of the two didn’t break the bank or scare anyone away. The whole part of this fantasy sport if you wish to call it that, is about having fun and being someone else for a day or two. I strongly believe if someone meets the basic requirements they are entitled to as much fun as the shooter that’s decked out in $1500 of clothing. I’m also a strong advocate of letting all Shooting styles shoot in S.P, I don’t agree with letting every shooting style except one. I guess my point is, if to many restrictions are put on something then it takes away the appeal or luster. Anyway it’s just my thoughts no harm intended from my side.

Slick

Since Steampunk is not an official SASS category, it can be shot in any style one wants.  I happen to play Steampunk shooting Frontiersman Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter with Cap Guns (Snubbies, to be exact) ... so there!!

Anybody remember how much fun Wild Bunch was before SASS regulated it out of existence to create CAS with a 1911 ??

38 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Anybody remember how much fun Wild Bunch was before SASS regulated it out of existence to create CAS with a 1911 ??

I do.  But I only encountered it as a side match stage - Sometimes shot individually and sometimes as a man-on-man elimination event like a main-match shoot-off (that you had to sign up for).   And it's always been CAS with a 1911... and the required slide action SG.

Hey Stump ......

"THE" Original Wild Bunch was set up to bring out the Safe Queens.  Bring out your M1917s Colt or Smith, BroomHandles, Lugers ... Let us PLAY and have fun.  These were always Side Matches.  Then SASS gave an EOT Side Match which eliminated everything but the 1911.  Most match directors to the easy way out and immediately adopted SASS rules and created CAS with a 1911.  Oh well.

PS:  Also eliminated shooting Wild Bunch with 1911s as a Gunfighter.  That was REAL annoying.

B-Western has all ready lost its Bling (my opinion) and in my short travels have seen folks border line on B-Western as it is and pushing the envelope and not embracing the "All costumes are expected to be Fancy and Flashy". Have even meet low SASS number folks who have bailed from B-western cause of it (the lack of being B-western). With all that said steam punk if allowed believe it should be its own category, not sure about the whole gunfighter thing, but mixing the two categories nahhhhh...B-western has enough debate and on going as the "Cylinder Turns" dramas playing out, but again just one's opinion...(like there's none of those around here in abundant :)).

On 1/29/2019 at 4:00 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PS:  Also eliminated shooting Wild Bunch with 1911s as a Gunfighter.  That was REAL annoying.

Have you ever seen a guy shooting a 1911 gunfighter style have a jam??

I have.. 

It was extraordinarily dangerous.

14 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Have you ever seen a guy shooting a 1911 gunfighter style have a jam??

I have.. 

It was extraordinarily dangerous.

A 1911 jam?? No c'mon you gotta be kidding me!!!:P:lol:

19 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

I could just imagine the magazine changes.

Yeah, how would that work?

38 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Yeah, how would that work?

Hopefully you have a table or shelf where you can put down one gun and unjam the other. If not I would imagine you stop shooting, hand off the guns and you're done with the stage. (?????)

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Hopefully you have a table or shelf where you can put down one gun and unjam the other. If not I would imagine you stop shooting, hand off the guns and you're done with the stage. (?????)

Uh... That gun you're suggesting that they put down likely has a round in the chamber and the hammer is back... Definitely if it's a jam situation.

22 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Uh... That gun you're suggesting that they put down likely has a round in the chamber and the hammer is back... Definitely if it's a jam situation.

I was thinking the same thing  (great minds......)

But if I were the shooter, I would continue shooting the good pistol till empty and THEN fix the jammed pistol.

But, I neither support or oppose any WB rule, just making a comment about trying to handle a jam pistol problem.

..........Widder

On 1/27/2019 at 5:37 PM, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

If Gunfighters want to shoot "Steampunk", let them lobby for a "Steampunk Gunfighters" category.

Period, end of discussion.

I can see, and agree, with Rolan's point of view.    In this area of the country, Rolan has lobbied and worked

hard to help ensure the PUNK category gain some legitimacy in matches.

I've seen positive results from his efforts.    

The same holds true with the OUTLAW category.   A couple of those pards, like TN Tombstone, has worked

hard for its legitimacy and wide acceptance in our game/sport.   And when ya got Pards like

Rolan and TN Tombstone who put forth great efforts to enhance this game for many others to enjoy, 

its important that guidelines established by those 'creators' be respected.    

Of course, each match director can accept or change as they deem necessary.    

If any GFer's want to have a GF Steampunk category, let them set it up using GF rules/guidelines.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You’re right , there’s no way to do it safely is there?

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I was thinking the same thing  (great minds......)

But if I were the shooter, I would continue shooting the good pistol till empty and THEN fix the jammed pistol.

But, I neither support or oppose any WB rule, just making a comment about trying to handle a jam pistol problem.

..........Widder

Until they both jam...

:o

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Oh, yeah.   Pre-SASS Wild Bunch was a lot better than what we have today.

It was back then that loading the 1911 with only 5 rounds in the magazine made sense because you'd be going up against guys with revolvers.  The general rule of thumb was any two pistols made before an arbitrary cut off date, usually around 1918 or so.   You'd see 1911's, Lugers, Broomhandles, Webley's 1917's and all sorts of other interesting old time things.  Rifles would often include the option to use "rifle" caliber repeaters, again with the 1918 cut off date.  You'd see Krag's, 1903, Winchester 1895s, Savage 99's, as well as the more to be expected 94's 86's and even regular Main Match rifles.  You'd often have the choice to reload for all 10 shots, or use 2 rifles as you saw fit.   It made SMLE rifles very popular for a while.    I did see people shooting doubles for their shotgun, but again, any 1918 or earlier shotgun was allowed, with magazines preloaded like a rifle.  In addition to the 97, you'd see 87's, Model 12's, Auto 5's (occasionally), Spencers, Burgess's, and one club even allowed 93's and Marlins if they were in safe working condition.    Most stages were along the order of 10-10-5+, but occasionally there'd be one with extra shotgun targets, or 15 pistol rounds.    There was of course a little bit of variation on what guns were allowed, usually on the rifle and shotgun front, and sometimes the date cut off, but the general pattern of above was pretty typical.    Some places still do it that way, calling it either "Classic Wild Bunch," or "The Professionals" but it is getting rarer as time goes by.

That game was a lot of fun.   That will always be what I think Wild Bunch really is and should be.   The way SASS created "Wild Bunch" is, in my opinion, just CAS with a 1911.  No matter how much they try to claim that it's not.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If the 1911 is in 'battery'.

Engage the thumb safety.........

OLG

But you still have the problem of what to do with it. You can't set it down, well you can but with a round in the chamber it's at least a SDQ. The best way is how Widder said to do it, fire the one that's NOT jammed and then stage it and work on the one with the jam! That sounds like a winner!!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

But you still have the problem of what to do with it. You can't set it down, well you can but with a round in the chamber it's at least a SDQ. The best way is how Widder said to do it, fire the one that's NOT jammed and then stage it and work on the one with the jam! That sounds like a winner!!

One of the reasons why I feel there should always be a table close to any shooting position.

No different when a GF has a revolver act up.

OLG

8 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh, yeah.   Pre-SASS Wild Bunch was a lot better than what we have today.

It was back then that loading the 1911 with only 5 rounds in the magazine made sense because you'd be going up against guys with revolvers.  The general rule of thumb was any two pistols made before an arbitrary cut off date, usually around 1918 or so.   You'd see 1911's, Lugers, Broomhandles, Webley's 1917's and all sorts of other interesting old time things.  Rifles would often include the option to use "rifle" caliber repeaters, again with the 1918 cut off date.  You'd see Krag's, 1903, Winchester 1895s, Savage 99's, as well as the more to be expected 94's 86's and even regular Main Match rifles.  You'd often have the choice to reload for all 10 shots, or use 2 rifles as you saw fit.   It made SMLE rifles very popular for a while.    I did see people shooting doubles for their shotgun, but again, any 1918 or earlier shotgun was allowed, with magazines preloaded like a rifle.  In addition to the 97, you'd see 87's, Model 12's, Auto 5's (occasionally), Spencers, Burgess's, and one club even allowed 93's and Marlins if they were in safe working condition.    Most stages were along the order of 10-10-5+, but occasionally there'd be one with extra shotgun targets, or 15 pistol rounds.    There was of course a little bit of variation on what guns were allowed, usually on the rifle and shotgun front, and sometimes the date cut off, but the general pattern of above was pretty typical.    Some places still do it that way, calling it either "Classic Wild Bunch," or "The Professionals" but it is getting rarer as time goes by.

That game was a lot of fun.   That will always be what I think Wild Bunch really is and should be.   The way SASS created "Wild Bunch" is, in my opinion, just CAS with a 1911.  No matter how much they try to claim that it's not.

I agree.  I hate the 1911 and only in 45acp thing.  Wish it different but maybe one say.  Some clubs allow open but not quite the same thing.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

One of the reasons why I feel there should always be a table close to any shooting position.

No different when a GF has a revolver act up.

OLG

Big difference. 

Have you seen someone shooting GF with 1911's when they have a jam??

I have.

They try to fix it...

Goes south real quick... Table or no table.

Really???  Aw cummon....  It is/was really simple.  You shoot the functioning 1911 dry while hanging on to the malfunction, then clear and finish.  If you have a stoppage on both guns (never happened to me or other gunfighters) you simply hand off one of the stopped guns while clearing and finishing the other gun.  Then the other stoppage is cleared and grounded (holstered).

As a point, at the time I was able to shoot Wild Bunch as a Gunfighter, the change to CAS with a 1911 already took place.  No magazine changes shooting 10-10-4.  There were some matches with 15 round pistol stages and we (Gunfighters) simply shot both guns dry, cleared and holster one, then mag change on the other one.  No.  It wasn't particularly fast, it was particularly FUN.

I also find it somewhat annoying when the first reaction to something different is to get into "but what if."  If all we do is find worst case possibilities, perhaps we should all stay home?? 

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Really???  Aw cummon....  It is/was really simple.  You shoot the functioning 1911 dry while hanging on to the malfunction, then clear and finish.  If you have a stoppage on both guns (never happened to me or other gunfighters) you simply hand off one of the stopped guns while clearing and finishing the other gun.  Then the other stoppage is cleared and grounded (holstered).

As a point, at the time I was able to shoot Wild Bunch as a Gunfighter, the change to CAS with a 1911 already took place.  No magazine changes shooting 10-10-4.  There were some matches with 15 round pistol stages and we (Gunfighters) simply shot both guns dry, cleared and holster one, then mag change on the other one.  No.  It wasn't particularly fast, it was particularly FUN.

I also find it somewhat annoying when the first reaction to something different is to get into "but what if."  If all we do is find worst case possibilities, perhaps we should all stay home?? 

If you think for one second that I dwell on all the bad possibilities, you are sadly mistaken.

It's real easyto sit here and calmly state what to do ... Put a person on a timer and things change.

Again, I've been in a competition that allowed GF 1911's and now the competition doesn't... Care to know why???

i like the steam punk , it adds a bit to the match ambiance much like the saloon gals do , always a highlight , most of the folks i know that participate in either of those looks are really fun people and keep things lively for us who are mundane by nature , they give me energy when im feeling a bit rung out by weather and misfortunate performance , ill not venture into the rules discussion as that is not why i like them or why i added this post - im just glad those i know are part of my experience ,  

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Big difference. 

Have you seen someone shooting GF with 1911's when they have a jam??

I have.

They try to fix it...

Goes south real quick... Table or no table.

Yes-and I was the TO, shooter had a FTF(failure-to-feed).

The shooter engaged the thumb safety, and benched the 'good' gun.

Cleared the FTF in the one 1911-Picked up the other 1911, and got back at it.........;)

OLG

Our match director let me start a Prohibition era category not long ago so I could play with guns from the 'future'.  I shot it for the first time last month and it was a great fun!  I mainly shot a pair of 1905 DA S&W revolvers, a '92 Rossi, and an A5 shotgun.   

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yes-and I was the TO, shooter had a FTF(failure-to-feed).

The shooter engaged the thumb safety, and benched the 'good' gun.

Cleared the FTF in the one 1911-Picked up the other 1911, and got back at it.........;)

OLG

Hope that either it was the left gun that jammed or the left gun had an ambidextrous thumb safety...

Oh, never seen them both jam... It's a cluster...

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Hope that either it was the left gun that jammed or the left gun had an ambidextrous thumb safety...

Oh, never seen them both jam... It's a cluster...

Right one FTF.

Used his right thumb, to set the left gun std safety(had big hands^_^).

It was not his first day with a 1911--

Wish it was on video-Way cool to watch.

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Right one FTF.

Used his right thumb, to set the left gun std safety(had big hands^_^).

It was not his first day with a 1911--

Wish it was on video-Way cool to watch.

OLG

Great. Had two guns in hand, one ready to go bang and he's manipulating safeties.

Guess we limit the use to those with big hands???

An I the only one here that sees shooting GF with 1911's as nothing but a cluster@#!*!????

3 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Great. Had two guns in hand, one ready to go bang and he's manipulating safeties.

Guess we limit the use to those with big hands???

An I the only one here that sees shooting GF with 1911's as nothing but a cluster@#!*!????

Count me in! Total disaster waiting to happen!:o 

How so-The shooter had full control of both guns.

You hold the 1911 when firing 1 handed, with your last 3 fingers of your hand anyway.

Shooter just rotated the left gun flat to the right(muzzle was point down range)and used his right thumb to engage the safety.

Like I said-Wish I had a video..........

OLG

Archived