SASS Wire Forum

Steam punk/ B Western

Boomstick Bruce

Did making steam punk part of B Western ever go anywhere? 

I think steam punk dress may attract more of the younger crowd. Those like me that grew up watching Wild Wild West (Will Smith) tombstone, young guns, etc... Especially with the new West World being such a hit.

Thoughts?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't think that's a great idea due to holster, hat,  and gun restrictions of B-Western.

If the particular club doesn't offer Steampunk sign up for Cowboy or Wrangler and dress Steampunk.

21 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I personally don't think that's a great idea due to holster, hat,  and gun restrictions of B-Western.

If the particular club doesn't offer Steampunk sign up for Cowboy or Wrangler and dress Steampunk.

absolutely

I don't see how you reconcile the costuming differences without ending up where you started, two different categories.  I also don't understand why gunfighter was excluded.  Since it's not an official category I don't see why you can't choose to shoot it gunfighter.  Who is in a position to tell you that you can't?

If you want to dress Steampunk, then by all means do.  Heck, maybe I'll dress Steampunk Frontiersman!  I've already done B-Western Frontiersman...

5 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Now that my CRS, has become full blown CRAFT.:D

I had forgotten about that thread.

To confirm then-At this time, GF is not permitted in Steampunk. Is that correct?

OLG

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

To confirm then-At this time, GF is not permitted in Steampunk. Is that correct?

OLG

If you follow the rules as suggested by Rolan, NO Gunfighter.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TNX-Wonder why he set it that way. :huh:

OLG

Because He said so was the reason we got. He doesn't believe Gunfighter's should should shoot in the same category as Duelists or Squaw grippers.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Because He said so was the reason we got. He doesn't believe Gunfighter's should should shoot in the same category as Duelists or Squaw grippers.

Makes sense.;)

I'm torn between, no more categories, and think'n Steampunk' would be so-kwel......^_^

OLG

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Makes sense.;)

I'm torn between, no more categories, and think'n Steampunk' would be so-kwel......^_^

OLG

Based on Palewolf's ha-ha it'll never happen. 

I'll shoot it once or twice a year in memory of my friend, but beyond that; good luck.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What I would like to know is: Is there a snowballs chance in hell that Steampunk could become recognized some day.

I hope not!!:blink:

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

There is no restriction against shooters in the Gunfighter category dressing Steampunk.

There are only 2 categories where dressing Steampunk is not allowed.   B-Western and Classic Cowboy/Girl.

True, but you probably can't win best dressed Steampunk contest if you're shooting the Gunfighter category.

I had never heard of Steampunk being connected in any way to B-Western. I thought it has always been a stand alone but not yet category.

Watch the movie " League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". The newly invented Winchester rifle plays an important role in this movie.

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Why not?

Too many categories as it is! Dress however you want and shoot in a category that's already official!

Personally I think it's stupid looking and I know I'll get slammed for that but that's okay, fire away!!:P

5 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

So can you squaw grip and shoot steampunk?

Apparently so!! 

5 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes

4 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Apparently so!! 

Well, that's kinda weird. Is there a supposed advantage to gunfighter over duelist that traditional over duelist doesn't have, or is it a different reason?Personally I think the duelist has the advantage and I'll get slammed for that! 

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

Well, that's kinda weird. Is there a supposed advantage to gunfighter over duelist that traditional over duelist doesn't have, or is it a different reason?Personally I think the duelist has the advantage and I'll get slammed for that! 

No idea

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

My club was the first to ever incorporate a Steampunk category in a big two day match. Only requirement was the shooter must dress steampunk.... goggles...gears and gadgets .... so on. We had a huge success with it, even the Judge SASS#1 dressed up( yes I have pics). I allowed any sass legal guns and any shooting style could be used and even changed from stage to stage if desired. It was a hoot and somewhere along the way as it grew from club to club it lost the fun and luster. 

I didn't mean another category, I meant along with b Western, either dress b Western OR dress steampunk. Same rules, same guns, different costume. That's all.

I don't see how trying to attract younger shooters is a bad thing...

The only category I would like to see added is a big bore category, .40 call and up. But that's for another discussion...

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Too many categories as it is! Dress however you want and shoot in a category that's already official!

Personally I think it's stupid looking and I know I'll get slammed for that but that's okay, fire away!!:P

We had a whole bunch of folks at our match today that thought we all looked stoopid (c) but after awhile I think they all thought we were having a lot of fun looking stoopid (c). So stoopid (c) looking may not be such a bad thing.

Archived