SASS Wire Forum

Reminiscing

I think of this every once in a while.

1966. Summer. I was ten. There was a convenience store a couple blocks away, and between our house and there lived an old guy in a wheelchair.

He'd sit out at the edge of the road waiting for a kid to come by. He'd give you a dollar and send you to the store for a loaf of bread, a pack of bologna and a pack of cigarettes. And for your trouble he let you keep a dime, but he got the rest of the change back.

Never heard of any kid skipping with his dollar.

I worked at a convenient store in the early 1980s.  A pack of name brand smokes, a 16 ounce soda and a gallon of gas were all $.70 each.

Today that pack of cigs is $6 or more, and the gas has been over $4 at times.

The govmint does not control the cost of sodas (that soda is now $1.50).

2 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I worked at a convenient store in the early 1980s.  A pack of name brand smokes, a 16 ounce soda and a gallon of gas were all $.70 each.

Today that pack of cigs is $6 or more, and the gas has been over $4 at times.

The govmint does not control the cost of sodas (that soda is now $1.50).

……. not yet

I remember buying 2 gallons ( 9 US Quarts ) of gas and a bottle of Coke for 50 cents ....

My first Bike would hold 25 cents worth of gas if it was right empty.... Over 5 buck today ....

Jabez Cowboy

When I was in college we would drive out of the city limits to escape the city tax on cigarettes.  We bought unfiltered KOOLs, CAMELs and LUCKY STRIKEs for $2.00 a carton.

Archived