SASS Wire Forum

Need help deciding on which one to get

The Bearded Wonder

Fixing to add another toy, I mean tool but don't really know which one is better.

Im looking at buying a Rcbs pro melt 2 or a Lyman mag 25. Both are comparable on features and price.

I will be casting 454 round balls and the big lube prs 250gr 45, and occasionally assorted sinkers. Eventually I will be casting a wider variety of stuff.

Any advice on which one to get? 

Thanks in advance, Keep your powder dry, 

The Bearded Wonder 

I used a Lee pot for years before getting the RCBS.  Very pleased with the RCBS, would buy another but don’t expect to need to!  No experience with the Lyman.

I'd take an RCBS over a Lyman bottom pour large capacity pot any day.   The electrics that Lyman uses are the weak point.  And it's harder to keep a Lyman bottom pour running without clogging or dripping - an RCBS is almost perfect at pouring and valve closing, IMHO.   

The newest RCBS 25 pound pot (ProMelt 2) has a PID controller built in.  If the first version of the ProMelt pot (and I've got 2) is weak on anything, it is that it uses a snap-type thermostat (so you get 10-20 degree or more temp swings in the alloy) instead of a thermocouple and electronics to fine tune the power being applied to the pot.   You'll know the PID controller model because it has a digital display and control buttons on it.

RCBS all the way, from my use for 25 years, after throwing out both Lee's and Lyman's!  

Buffalo Arms has a stock of them - at $275 or so.

But, both Optics Planet and Mid South are very solid vendors.   I'd vouch for either of them!

https://www.buffaloarms.com/rcbs-pro-melt-2-lead-casting-furnace-bottom-pour-pot-120-volt-rcb81099

BTW - NO LEE POT for me - I've tried all of theirs, and they are as cheap as their price tag would imply.   I hate a drippy bottom pour pot!

Good luck, GJ

My lee has never dripped. It isn't very old but has ran at least 300 lbs through it. Once you find the correct setting for it, it's good to go. Only add 1 - 2 lbs of lead to it at a time and it will keep flowing the. Valve has never plugged either.

Been using my RCBS ProMelt for 30 years.    What more can you say?     GW

Archived