SASS Wire Forum

12 gauge black powder shotgun slug loads

klw

I have a Century Arms 12 gauge lever action shotgun on order.  It is suppose to arrive next week.  I also bought a box of 25 brass shotgun cases from Megtec.  Finally I cast up a bunch of pure lead slugs using Lyman's Foster mould.  In pure lead those weigh 510 grains.  The plan is to use a 100 grain cartridge black powder load, a 1/2 inch felt wad, the slug and then a thin card over the slug and glue the whole thing in place.  This leaves just a little room at the top of the case for the Elmer's glue.  Anybody tried anything like this?

I have never shot slugs from a blackpowder shotgun, but 100 grains of powder under a slug that heavy scares me.  My TC Hawken instructions say to not use more than 120 grains of powder under a .54 ball which weighs only about 225 grains.  I may be wrong but I’m worried you may be building a pipe bomb.  Shotguns are different from Sharps rifles and have different pressure tolerances.  Please consult a standard published reference before shooting a load that heavy.

You might get an answer in this forum:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?forums/blackpowder.12/

I took the liberty of posting the question in the Blackpowder Forum on The High Road.  You can follow the responses here:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/blackpowder-shotgun-slugs.846816/

I am pretty sure that you can not get into pressure problems with black powder but the recoil issue is another story.  When you literally do not know what you are doing you have to start somewhere.  So I will cut the powder charge down from 100 grains to 40, probably add an additional felt wad and see what happens.

Always go to ballistic products for shotgun advice.  The 510 grain slugs is heavy (1 ounce = 437.5 grains).

I suggest a much lighter load, like 40-50 grains.  The heavier load is more likely to still be combusting at the muzzle, causing tumbling of the slug.

I also had better fuller combustion with magnum primers and tight compression of the powder in the mag tech hulls.

Start out at 70gn(weight)and go from there.

BTW-Plan on scraping lots of lead from the bore. 

To compare-I'm push'n a 540gn bullet from my Sharp's with 85gn of 2F old 'E'.

If this powder is Cartridge Goex-It hasn't been made in many yrs.

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Start out at 70gn(weight)and go from there.

BTW-Plan on scraping lots of lead from the bore. 

To compare-I'm push'n a 540gn bullet from my Sharp's with 85gn of 2F old 'E'.

If this powder is Cartridge Goex-It hasn't been made in many yrs.

OLG

Math indicates you are around 1 1/8 oz.   I use 65 grains in my SG  and it makes a pleasant load.

Archived