SASS Wire Forum

Reloading problem

Purly SASS # 57438

I am having a problem with my 650 at the powder die station.  It is damageing cases randomly . It happens if i am going slow or at a normal pace. The  case appears to be hitting the bottom of the powder funnel.  I talked with Dillon and they are sending an alignment kit. This started recently and seems to be getting worse. About every 8 to ten cases. Any ideas ?

20190125_152647.jpg

Although I use a 550 I believe the fix would be similar.

Occasionally I have to loosen my dies and realign them. Not often but on two out of 14 die sets. .32 and .38 dies get used more often and each needed it. Follow the directions from the die set to the letter.

Also, make sure your shell plate is tight enough. It appears to me that you may be getting some wobble going into the powder die station.

The smaller the caliber, the worse the problem.  The alignment tool works well, but try tightening the shell plate as much as you can and still have it work.  I load 32-20 and have that problem sometimes.

This is usually caused by the case not lining up with the powder funnel.  
There is a small set screw at the back of the primer station, it will control the pressure to the spring loaded arm that holds the case in the shell plate.  If the arm is allowing the case to move out try adjusting it. (Very small amounts).

Notice if the cases are being pushed clockwise or counterclockwise. Under the shell plate there is 2 screws that will allow the entire base to rotate a little.  You can adjust it to not tip the case. Remember to re-center your dies after adjusting.

I realigned the dies. 

Useing  the right buttons and powder funnel. 

I'll take a look at the set screws. 

Realignment tool should be here the first of next week. 

1 hour ago, Purly SASS # 57438 said:

I realigned the dies. 

Useing  the right buttons and powder funnel. 

I'll take a look at the set screws. 

Realignment tool should be here the first of next week. 

How much up/down play do you have in the shell plate?

Should be just able to turn freely and no more..........

OLG

Purly,

I had a similar problem a few months back with my 650.  One issue was that I had neglected to clean and re-lubricate under the shell plate.  This was causing the shell plate to not reliably fully move to the next station.  Every 6-8 rounds I had a similar crushed edge.

Another problem that sometimes occurs is that the ejector wire sometimes gets moved out of proper alignment and the shell plate gets a little tilted.  Talk to me tomorrow at the shoot. 

2 hours ago, Lefty Wheeler said:

This is usually caused by the case not lining up with the powder funnel.  
There is a small set screw at the back of the primer station, it will control the pressure to the spring loaded arm that holds the case in the shell plate.  If the arm is allowing the case to move out try adjusting it. (Very small amounts).

Notice if the cases are being pushed clockwise or counterclockwise. Under the shell plate there is 2 screws that will allow the entire base to rotate a little.  You can adjust it to not tip the case. Remember to re-center your dies after adjusting.

Should be just about a business card thickness between the spring loaded arm and the case rim. Too much or too little is a problem. Kinda hard to find the adjustment screw the first time. 

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Should be just about a business card thickness between the spring loaded arm and the case rim. Too much or too little is a problem. Kinda hard to find the adjustment screw the first time. 

That may be part of the problem.  I don't think there is that much clearance between the arm and case.

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How much up/down play do you have in the shell plate?

Should be just able to turn freely and no more..........

OLG

The plate is secure.  I did check that.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

That may be part of the problem.  I don't think there is that much clearance between the arm and case.

That is the adjustment to center the primer pin. A tad of play allows the case to center it self. 

I listened to all the ideas and got yo impatient to wait for the alignment kit to get here.  So, I found a video on lubrication for the 650. I took tje machine apart, gave it a good cleaning, snd lubed it useing axle grease and motor oil. It improved about 80%. I'm still getting an occasional crunched case but it is at the deprime station.

loosening the large bolt that holds the shell plate without first loosening the set screw (on the side of the main shaft, must raise unit with the handle) will cause the base to come out of alignment. The alignment tool is a breeze to use and should fix you up. What Hoss said about the paperclip thingie is also very important.

8 minutes ago, Ham O'Royd said:

I'm having a similar problem with my SDB. Won't flare a case on station 2 but will crush brass the same. I will check the above.

Just turn the powder station/flare die down 1/4 turn.

http://dillonhelp.com/Dillon Manual PDFs/SDBManualDecember09.pdf

OLG

Archived