SASS Wire Forum

ACES scoring program questions

Circuit Rider Jeff

Trying to access the aces web page but my phone nor computer will allow me to get to the page. I cant find the app on google apps either, anybody got any help for me? We want to use this system starting in March, and should we just buy 3 cheap kindles? Anyone have experience with a 7" or 8" kindle as far as being able to see it well? Much appreciated

CRJ

The same folks that made ACES are now working on a app called PractaScore. A few of the clubs here in Florida use that for scoring. There is a cowboy action template built in you just have to select it and set up your match. The rest works very similar to ACES, just has more features. what i have seen with Practascore is that is written for newer versions of mobile OS's and some links and features dont show on the older versions. For example i have a Shield tablet and the main tablet is an IPad. I don't have all of the links in the match results on the Shield that i do on the updated apple. be careful buying "old cheap tablets" you may not be able to update it to the latest version of the operating system. If you need help setting up a match or in general with Practascore send me a message.

Moog, thank you I was just in Target and can buy a new kindle 7" for $46 a piece so maybe I buy 3 if this works like the aces program. How do I get it started and now that I've read through the entire aces manual (for nothing I guess) what is my next step?

You can also use 1st & 2nd mini iPads, don't upgrade the operating system to the latest. We have been running that way for over 6+ years. They work great. The earlier version of the iPads can be bought on Ebay pretty cheap.

TB

11 minutes ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

You can also use 1st & 2nd mini iPads, don't upgrade the operating system to the latest. We have been running that way for over 6+ years. They work great. The earlier version of the iPads can be bought on Ebay pretty cheap.

TB

That's what we've been doing, but we got our app(s) when it was still being supported. How would Jeff get the app if it's no longer available?

Well I can get these kindle things new for pretty cheap, the look of aces is cowboy easy esp for some of my limited tech cowboys. Is the practicscore formatted the same way? I'd really like to do this just 1 easy time

just to be clear on how this works so I could use my regular Android tablet download it with Aces to have all the names of the cowboy Shooters in our area and pull down from a drop-down list to check them in as they register, then before the shoot download the information to the three additional tablets or Kindles send them out to the range in their perspective posses complete the shoot at the end of the shoot they would all tabulate into one list winners to the top top shooters to the bottom shooters, that then I can email out and or post scores,am I thinking correctly about this?

Setting up Practiscore is no more difficult than setting up ACES. Given that ACES is a dead end why would you want to invest the time into learning a program that has ZERO support? 

The person that originally wrote ACES is now on the Practiscore software team.  Practiscore's development and upkeep is funded be the same industries that support IPDA, USPA and other shooting sports. ACES died in part because the developer was getting almost no revenue from it.

The practiscore team has been very responsive to input from the CAS community to make Practiscore SASS friendly.  Having used both I prefer Practiscore.

6 minutes ago, Circuit Rider Jeff said:

just to be clear on how this works so I could use my regular Android tablet download it with Aces to have all the names of the cowboy Shooters in our area and pull down from a drop-down list to check them in as they register, then before the shoot download the information to the three additional tablets or Kindles send them out to the range in their perspective posses complete the shoot at the end of the shoot they would all tabulate into one list winners to the top top shooters to the bottom shooters, that then I can email out and or post scores,am I thinking correctly about this?

You will have to manually enter each person into ACES. There is no master list of CAS shooters. this is also true for Practiscore.

The rest of your statement is true for Practiscore and ACES. Practiscore will allow you to create PDFs sorted by overall or category.

We rode the ACES wagon as far as it would go on android.  It's super unstable now.  Very sad it was abandoned as the interface is much more cowboy-centric.  Recently switched to Practiscore.  It's working fine.

I believe the iOS version has clean match reports and android still does not.  No stage winner reports either.   We need to them to do one or two more small updates for SASS and it'll be pretty much done.

Practiscore is updated regularly and much, MUCH more stable and functional than ACES has been for the last year or so.  If you havn't switched yet, just get it done...

1 hour ago, Fast Enuff said:

> snip <

Practiscore is updated regularly and much, MUCH more stable and functional than ACES has been for the last year or so.  If you havn't switched yet, just get it done...

FE ... I have been using Practiscore for quite a while and only just now realized I could actually create a Cowboy match ... Soooooooooo ... I just made one ... put in some scores; penalties ... viewed the results ... etc .. and it is really cool .... But I have a question for you ... 

When creating a shooter ... the Division field is where the shooter's category is entered ... Cowboy/Duelist/Silver Senior ... whatever ... AND ... I noticed the list of categories that you can choose from is pretty robust ... They even have Modern and Traditional in there ...  

... BUT ...

I noticed you can not create a "custom" category ... like "shootist" "all around Cowboy" or that sort of thing ... you have to select something from their list.

Have you found that to be a problem? Have I missed something in regard to accomplishing that?? :mellow:

Edit: Crap ... NEVER MIND!! I found it under "edit divisions"!!! 

Cool you found it.  Yes it's all in there, but that's the most annoying part... separating the "cowboy" stuff from the modern shooting entries.  They kind of worked it out but it would be nice if the "SASS" match side changed the field names and entries to more accurately represent what we do.

But I get it.  They don't want to mess with their database any more than necessary.

Archived