SASS Wire Forum

How Cold is Too Cold?

Wild Ben VanDorn

At 12 degrees this morning, I got to thinking: how cold does it have to be for it to be too cold to host a shoot?  I know some clubs suspend monthly matches during the winter, while others keep going.  Now, for a club in the Sun Belt, it makes sense to shoot year-round, but for those in more temperate zones, what do you guys do? 

As long as I can move my fingers, I'll shoot in just about any weather.  In fact, I kind of enjoy it, and I'm glad the club I found here in Kentucky shoots year-round! 

How about the rest of y'all?  When is too cold, too cold?

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

HJ.png

THIS may be too cold. . . .

The Wartrace Regulators here in Tennessee have this policy:

Please note: The Wartrace Regulators will not shoot if the National Weather Service projected high temperature for Wartrace is below 40F.

I've shot in Bowling Green, KY once when it was around 35 when we started; it was tolerable, but I wouldn't really want to shoot if it was much colder than that.

From 30-90 I'm good to go. Below thirty and above 90 I have to think about it real hard.

It's too cold to host a shoot if nobody shows up.

For me, it also depends on humidity and wind.  But in general, if the sun is out, I'm good down to about 30 degrees, 40 if it's cloudy.  Now if it's humid and or windy, it's gotta be less cold temperature wise.

28 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

If it’s below 20 I’m staying home.

That's my limit - but only on sunny, windless days.  Add wind, overcast or drizzle and I stay home at higher temperatures.

We used to be really really brave here in MI. But the last few years winter participation has really dwindled, due to in large part of a lot of our shooters are in FL. Putting on a monthly with snow and ice is twice the work. We have had to shovel our targets out between Friday set up and Saturday shoot. Coldest I've shot a match in was -9. These days if it's not at least 15 degrees I''m not too interested. We try not to speak for anyone when it comes to deciding what is too cold, the shooters will know that and your attendance will tell the story. 

From a match director's view it's not about temperature as much as movement safety.

Only an individual knows their limitations with regards to dexterity in the cold.

As long as we can get to the range, and the stages are safe for movement, we're shooting. 

We pretty much shoot regardless of the weather as long as the roads are safe, although we’ve called a match or two due to high winds.

We also go to “winter rules” around here to keep it safe and fun.  Essentially that means wear whatever keeps you warm, everything can be staged if you desire and places will be provided to do so (hate seeing guns dropped, or worse, due to fumbling with heavy clothing), and we allow .22’s so there’s less brass to chase in the snow.

I was one of 3 that showed up when it was 26.  It was colder than I expected it to be...

Our last shoot of the year is the 1st Sunday in Nov. We have an Iron Cowboy shoot in Jan. This year's event was cancelled due to heavy snow that made the hill to the range too dangerous to travel.

We have had a couple in the single digits.  But we shoot 2 stages the head indoors to warm up and repeat twice

The coldest match I've ever attended was in a February when I was Ramrod of the Oak Ridge Outlaws. I arrived at the range with a temp of 9'. We shot one posse of about 10 a shooters with the assistance of a couple shooters who decided not to shoot. I haven't established an exact temperature I won't shoot a match but I'm pretty sure it won't be in single digits. Like Grizz said, wind speed, humidity & precipitation also need to be considered.

2 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

From 30-90 I'm good to go. Below thirty and above 90 I have to think about it real hard.

Shot at least twice last year when the highest it got up to was 32°. Unfortunately that temperature came when we were done shooting.

Shot at least once last year at above 90° with just about matching humidity.

I used to shoot in whatever temps, now I have arthritis in my feet, wife has arthritis in her hands, and when the guns are ice cold, and the joints hurt, just not as fun, I’ll shoot again when it warms up a bit lol....call me a wuss

BD

I shot a match in mid-March in Charlottesville, Virginia last year. It didn't get above 39 degrees. It was uncomfortable. So my general rule is - it has to be 40 or above.

2 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Our last shoot of the year is the 1st Sunday in Nov. We have an Iron Cowboy shoot in Jan. This year's event was cancelled due to heavy snow that made the hill to the range too dangerous to travel.

The first year that we held this shoot it was 23 degrees when we started. Had a large kerosene heater stationed nearby. The wind came up, the temperature dropped steadily all day, and snow began to fall. Everyone managed to shoot the stages and do posse work, but at some point each of the dozen shooters wound up spending some quality time with his/her boots propped up about 1 foot in front of the heater. Kept us all going through the day. As we left the range, it was 18 degrees with  an inch-and-a-half of snow on the hill.

Also, shot at Mississippi Fandango one year when the Sunday morning temp. was 19, and at Branson, Missouri last October when it was 17. Glutton for punishment, I guess.

Actually, mittens with chemical hand warmers, ear muffs, and an oilskin drover coat can make it work...another good reason to be a BP shooter too - guns get warm, but not for long, then the hands go back in the mittens.

CS

We normally do two shoots in the winter.  First is the Frostbite Falls Invitational the first weekend of the new year (didn't hold it this year cause it was too warm).  Second is the Super Bowl Shoot on Super Bowl Weekend.  It's a "shoot what ya brung" shoot with food.  Normally someone will make chili and everyone else brings something to add to the feast.  Normal Cowboy clothing rules are waved so shooters can dress warmly and the stages are made up as we go along.  If there's snow on the ground it's best to bring a .22 unless you want to police your own brass.  We fire up the wood stove, shoot the Bull, shoot a stage, shoot some more Bull, shoot another stage, eat and repeat.  Yes, it's normally the same folks that show up but there's a lot of Bull Shootin going on.  The photo is probably the coldest start I've ever been to.

IMG_1278.JPG

Ain't no sech thang as too cold, pilgrims. 

e7f71a43a0c96fee3fb2e78ba9ad5e17.jpg

I noticed it was getting cold when I was doing my mile swim in the lake this morning.  Air temp 42 degrees, water temp 63 degrees.  If this keeps up they will probably be cancelling some of the monthly matches.  Looks like this is our week of WINTER!

As Tyrel said we at Wartrace cancel if the high is predicted not to top 40. I shot a match at Possum Trot about 10 years ago at 17 degrees. Five of us shot 5 stages in one hour and 40 minutes. The line for each stage was "Damn its cold" It was.

Imis

When you're worried about dropping guns because you can't feel your hands.  On the other end, I have an 85 degree rule.  Except for Black Gold.

7 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

It's too cold to host a shoot if nobody shows up.

For me, it also depends on humidity and wind.  But in general, if the sun is out, I'm good down to about 30 degrees, 40 if it's cloudy.  Now if it's humid and or windy, it's gotta be less cold temperature wise.

This .

We have shoots in the winter from Dec to Mar. A couple of years ago our Dec shoot was -28 degrees. We had 7 shooters and a family observing. We have the shoots no matter the temp. We have a cabin with a wood stove in it that we shoot from if it's relatively cold (30's or less).

5 hours ago, Lawman Mays said:

I shot a match in mid-March in Charlottesville, Virginia last year. It didn't get above 39 degrees. It was uncomfortable. So my general rule is - it has to be 40 or above.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Anything under 40 is a NO go for me!!

I agree.  When I started shooting CAS, I would shoot in all weather conditions.  Now that I am in my 60's, it has to be dry and 40 degrees or above before I go out and play. :blush:

6 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Shot at least once last year at above 90° with just about matching humidity.

Hahaha... GEORGIA Summer!

When it's cold, put some longjohns on and shoot!

When it's below 15...that's just silly!

Archived