SASS Wire Forum

Lever wrap and butt stock cover for Winchester 1873

Ramblin Rob

Good morning.  I have a Winchester / Miroku 1873 Carbine that I want to install a lever wrap and a butt stock cover.  Obviously want the two items to match as closely as possible.  Most of the lever wraps I have seen are sewed on with some type of "waxed" thread.  Is this a good option?  I think I want the stock cover to be sewn on with leather strips (shoe strings?).  

Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences, and feel free to make any suggestions to steer me in the right direction.  I have been cowboy shooting for about 6 months.

I paid a premium for the Palo Verde lever wrap, but it sure is nice.

https://pvgunworks.com/Product-category/lever-wraps/

I haven't as yet felt the need for a stock cover for my 1873, but the ones Slapout makes look nice. I am considering one for my coach gun.

http://www.oldslapoutholsters.com/products2.html

I might consider one (Slapout) for my coach gun also.  They look really good.  The (Slapout) lever wrap looks good also, and about the least expensive I have seen.  Thank you for offering up the information.

We use Palo Verde leather wraps, come with a video on how to thread them.  Good wraps.

Thank you, everyone, for all of this information.  Very nice to have it all in one location.  Decisions, decisions.  I think the first thing I will try is the lever wrap technique suggested by @Matthew Duncan.  

Please keep ideas coming.....Seems like most of the vendors are located out west?  I am in NC.

The Brisco Kid and Kiamichi Queen...... www.cowboyshooterssupply.com/ for butt covers and I believe some offers in lever wrap although I agree PV has the nicer of lever wraps.

Sassy and I have several of their butt covers and some with our alias stamped on them.  Made by their contracted leather craftsman.  For the fancy, and more pricey, I suggest Aspen Filly, or of course R Roy's..

On 1/25/2019 at 5:23 PM, Major Crimes said:

I have three covers from these guys and they are very good, they do wraps to.

https://gunstockcover.com/main.sc

bc1.JPG

Jon Kline makes excellent stuff .

I have his stuff on many of my guns. 

And he is right hear in Michigan in my state .

Gunstockcovers.com

• 1 month later...

As a kid I did a few pieces of leather work. A billfold for my dad and a holster for me. I found my old leather craft tools and I’m kind of itching to something of my own for SASS. Below is a picture my one and only holster. I made it for my 9 shot Harrison & Richardson revolver 50 years ago. My question is might there be a pattern for leather butt wrap for a Uberti ’73 w/a curved butt plate out there in SASS land ? 

I bought a copy of the “How to Make Holsters” by Al Stohlman a few months ago and they still have the same pattern I used for this one. Would be great fun to try and tool it up and be able to say I made it myself. Thanks ahead for tips and comments. Kid Vic

Vics_Holster.jpg

The least expensive lever wrap you’ll find is the one you make yourself. Go down to the nearest Tandy Leather or something similar and dig through their scrap bin. Git yerself some waxed thread, some leather needles, a hammer and nail, an Xacto knife and some rubber cement and spend an hour or two at your workbench. Lotsa fun and you get the rewarding feeling of accomplishment as well.

I used a 3 1/2 foot long 3/8" thick leather cord to make my wrap. Saw an instructional on here somewhere. I like it, it closed up the loop in my lever so my finger sits in it perfectly plus it makes it easier and faster to cycle the action.

Screenshot_2019-03-23-09-00-05.png

Archived