SASS Wire Forum

158 to 125 grain bullet

Shanghai

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TNX

For some reason the page won't show on my 'puter.

Can't find a 'cowboy' load section........:huh:

OLG

It's just under the regular load data, I haven't seen a Cowboy load section in a long time.

10 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It's just under the regular load data, I haven't seen a Cowboy load section in a long time.

OK-Found it-Had ro roll the screen and open it.

I was wrong-That 2.9gn load is within specs from 125-158gn lead bullet.

TNX for the education.

OLG

On 1/25/2019 at 4:37 PM, Shanghai said:

Yes, I’d like to reduce recoil with pistols.  I’m clean with my rifle but too many misses with the pistol.  It’s the main reason I’m changing to 125 after shooting 158 for so many years.   I need to slow down and keep on the front sight and lower recoil should help.

I think the two load option is best for me.  I’ll stay with 158 for knockdowns and see how the 125 recoil feels for reduced recoil.    Now I’m thinking 105s.

Hey Tully, next time I see you if you have a few 105s I can try, I’d appreciate it.  Thanks for the offer.  And thanks to all on this forum for helping me through this bullet change.  I’m a creature of habit so changing my old load is a big deal and you all have made me feel confident about it.

I would recommend that you change one thing at a time and determine the change in results before experimenting further.

What you did with 158's has nothing to do when you want to make a 105 round. 

If your trying to improve accuracy with pistols by changing bullets, I think your going about this in the wrong direction, unless the reason you missed is because the cartridge did not fire properly, or consistently. Then the rifle would likely have the same problems. This does not appear to be your case. Your shooting <10 yds with pistols in most cases. At that range, you can hit the target with just a magnum primer. It is not likely that your misses are about trajectory of your bullets.

Trying to download your cartridges in power for recoil, will likely create more problems than your experiencing now.  Going lite is more than just lighter bullets and powder loads...

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:01 PM, Shanghai said:

Tyrel, that’s more powder than I was using with the 158.  Part of my reason for transitioning is reduced recoil.  3 grains seems high.  But I will increase my OAL.  My thanks.

Increasing the OAl length will decrease velocity and pressure .... All things being equal you Increase Powder Charges as you Decrease bullet weights and use less powder with heavyer bullets ....

Jabez Cowboy

I have learned enough here to go ahead and start reloading my new stash of 125 bullets.  I now understand why powder charges will increase with lighter bullets and will go with Tyrel’s original recommendation of 3 (2.9 - 3..1) grains of clays.   I’ll start with a col of 1.475 and ensure a good crimp which I do with a separate crimp die. 

II’ll start with the 125 rnfp and not move to TC or 105s  until I have enough experience to make that decision.  Thanks to Blast (and others) for that  wise advice.  I’ll check for any hitch in my rifle, how clean/dirty the round shoots and the level of recoil in my pistols.   I’m hoping with less recoil, I’ll be able to get back on target quicker and spend a little more time lining up my front sight before triggering and moving on to the next target.  Hopefully, that will translate to less pistol misses without losing time.

Again, thank you all for your advice and taking the time to share it.   There is so much experience on this board..  Special thanks to Fast enuff and Marshall Chance for their kind thoughts.  

Archived