SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Coach Gun LOP update and new shotgun leather

Carolina Drifter

Last week I asked about finding a prefit recoil pad or spacers to increase the LOP on my Stoeger Coach gun.  Had many helpful replies and between that and further research I was able to come up with something that worked for me.  So thank you all that replied with ideas and wisdom.  Here's what I ended up with. 

Slip on recoil pad (which gave me the desired LOP I was looking for thankfully).

The fit was pretty much perfect but I found myself not liking the look of it.  As some of you know I do my own leather work and decided to make a stock cover to hide that slip on pad.....

Ended up going a step further and also made a much needed new shotgun belt as well :lol:.  My old one only held six shells so this was a much needed upgrade.

Thanks again,

CD

IMG_20190120_122201021~2.jpg

IMG_20190120_122217676~2.jpg

IMG_20190123_122449805~2.jpg

IMG_20190124_191706492~2.jpg

IMG_20190124_191812965~2.jpg

Dawg gone it CD... don'tcha know a SHOTGUN belt has to hold a whole BOX!  ;)

DSCN10801.jpg

Helps your popularity on team shoots...   shhhh, don't let it get around...

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

Dawg gone it CD... don'tcha know a SHOTGUN belt has to hold a whole BOX!  ;)

DSCN10801.jpg

Helps your popularity on team shoots...   shhhh, don't let it get around...

I tell ya Griff, with my old belt only holding six shells and before I fixed the LOP i bout needed a whole box of shells for a stage :lol: sure seemed that way when I was shooting over them pesky knockdowns.

15 minutes ago, Oregonian said:

Well done, that's some quality leather gear!  Are you taking orders?

Thanks Oregonian.  Honestly Ive mainly done leather for myself and my father (a fellow SASS Cowboy) I've sold a couple used items I've done but have done a couple small items for others.  I won't lie it's crossed my mind a few times to put myself out there which I probably wouldn't mind doing occasionally but don't have the time dedicate to it like other skilled leather workers I've seen.

Those turned out great CD!  I've been pondering trying my hand at leather craft.  Rifle stock cover was on my radar for a starter project.  Is there a leather thickness that works better than others for this?  I have a leather supplier near me with an overwhelming amount of different materials available. 

36 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

Those turned out great CD!  I've been pondering trying my hand at leather craft.  Rifle stock cover was on my radar for a starter project.  Is there a leather thickness that works better than others for this?  I have a leather supplier near me with an overwhelming amount of different materials available. 

HDHD thank you I appreciate it.  Honestly the thickness really depends on what you plan to do. If you plan on doing some leather carving or tooling/stamping I'd say no less that 4 to 5 oz leather but no higher than 7 to 8 oz. You want it thick enough to take and hold all the tooling but thin enough to allow for proper fitting and pre forming.   I know some go with thinner but personally I don't like the possibility of either cutting too deep or tooling to hard and end up cutting through. The pictured stock cover I did was 5 to 6 oz which is  a very good and safe medium.  Get too thin (under 4 oz) you'll need a lace hole backer to keep the holes from stretching too much and not allowing a tight secure and proper fit that is unless you're using a really thin leather with no tooling or  carving. At that point I'd just punch thread holes or slits and use a waxed thread or sinew thread.

8 minutes ago, Ramblin Rob said:

Just out of curiosity and probably a dumb question, but what do you call the leather that appears to be "woven" on the sides of the cover, around your initials?  Your work looks incredible?

Not a dumb question at all I'm more than happy to lend a hand and help anyone that asks. It's a basket weave pattern and they have many patterns and sizes available. 

So, I guess you purchase the leather with the basket weave pattern on it.  Is it embossed or really woven?  I am looking to add a butt cover to my Stoeger but will purchase something because I don't have skills.  I have been following your other thread to see what options are online.  Thanks for the reply.  

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Ok, question(s) about your initials. Do you have letter stamps that big? Or did you carve them in and use a background tool? Or draw and burn them in?

TC I've done it various ways, carving and backgrounding and using letter stamps mostly. In this particular case I'm a Mechanical Drafting Designer and have access to 3D printing machines so I made my own "CD" and oval leather stamp.

1 minute ago, Carolina Drifter said:

TC I've done it various ways, carving and backgrounding and using letter stamps mostly. In this particular case I'm a Mechanical Drafting Designer and have access to 3D printing machines so I made my own "CD" and oval leather stamp.

Thanks for sharing, what material is that stamp made out of, I have a 3D printer and never thought of making leather stamps with it.

3 minutes ago, Ramblin Rob said:

So, I guess you purchase the leather with the basket weave pattern on it.  Is it embossed or really woven?  I am looking to add a butt cover to my Stoeger but will purchase something because I don't have skills.  I have been following your other thread to see what options are online.  Thanks for the reply.  

You can buy some leathers already prestamped but they get costly (leather in general is already pricy as is).  I do all of my own carving and tooling/stamping. So the basket weave and borders and border tooling you see was wall done by me with various leather working tools.   

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Thanks for sharing, what material is that stamp made out of, I have a 3D printer and never thought of making leather stamps with it.

It's a ABS plastic printer. The secret is to print a thick solid backer (I generally do 1/4" thick) to take the abuse of your mallet/hammer.  

Just now, Carolina Drifter said:

It's a ABS plastic printer. The secret is to print a thick solid backer (I generally do 1/4" thick) to take the abuse of your mallet/hammer.  

Cool, I'm definitely going to try this out. 

2 minutes ago, Ramblin Rob said:

Thanks for the explanation.  Just from this conversation I can tell this is way above my pay grade.

There's alot of work that goes into them no doubt about that. Theres many steps and many hours involved with the process not to mention material costs (leather, dye, finishers/sealers tools etc. But If you get serious about wanting one feel free to pm me. 

2 hours ago, Carolina Drifter said:

There's alot of work that goes into them no doubt about that. Theres many steps and many hours involved with the process not to mention material costs (leather, dye, finishers/sealers tools etc. But If you get serious about wanting one feel free to pm me. 

Not to mention the wasted leather due to mistakes when learning. 

I've successfully made one so far, no tooling/stamps/borders, and am only partially satisfied with the outcome. 

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

@Carolina Drifter this 3D printer idea is going to open up a whole world of coolness:

IMG_20190127_191111093.thumb.jpg.f59caef97a1186708dd2f1aa6b596de4.jpgIMG_20190127_191403645.thumb.jpg.81a7765b9792e2af7aff23880fd436b7.jpg

Absolutely! Very nice

Just now, Carolina Drifter said:

Absolutely! Very nice

Thanks!

By the way, I didn't use a mallet for that. I have a gunmakers vice with plenty of space at the bottom. I taped the design to the leather and sandwiched between two pieces of 1/4 aluminum; tighten and let sit for 10 minutes. 

I hope you don't mind me stealing ideas and hijacking your thread.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Thanks!

By the way, I didn't use a mallet for that. I have a gunmakers vice with plenty of space at the bottom. I taped the design to the leather and sandwiched between two pieces of 1/4 aluminum; tighten and let sit for 10 minutes. 

I hope you don't mind me stealing ideas and hijacking your thread.

It worked very well and turned out great! I don't mind at all. I'm always happy if I'm able to help or inspire. 

Archived