SASS Wire Forum

FS Original Colt Lightning Octagonal Barrel 38-40

Wild Willi

Here is an original Colt Lightning in 38-40, has an octagonal barrel, seems to function as it should I have never fired it but the fellow I got it from said it worked well.  I offer it at a very reasonable $1650 plus the shipping from my FFL to yours.  No sales to California and evreything goes through My FFL dealer.see the pics Wood is good, metal finish mostly white as you see in the pics, bore has good rifling

WW

1.jpg.163d3a3f220292ee45651c46c53747c0.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This is an Octagonal barrel not a round barrel,Thought that was clear in the pics, it functions correctly, loads and ejects great.  I have not made it go bang in the years I have owned.  However the fellow I bought it from said it shot well.I will take some more pics this week and will include the info from Colts Web page and a bore pic. One more round then off to GB at a much higher price tag

These are fine weapons.  This gun should be $2600 and up if it is in good shooting condition.  If it is kept clean and lubricated and it has good springs in it, it should shoot like a Cowboy machine gun.  I have one just like yours in a round barrel.  I love mine.

Willi,

I am surprised your gun store does not have the R.L. Wilson pocket book for Colt dates of manufacture. If it has 4 serial numbers or less it was made in 1884 or 1885. If you post the first 3 of the 5 serial numbers I can tell you what year it was manufactured. If the serial number is below 85800 it was made prior to 1900 and does not have to be shipped to an FFL dealer. As such, you would be able to sell it to folks in California. 

Do you have the screw for the fore end? Do you know if the threads it should screw into are good? Do you know who made the rear stock? 

I believe that stock is original to the gun, seem to have been refinished.  I think only Colt would have used that piece of wood with the large are of sap wood in the stock, that had it stained to match I am sure but when refinishes the light spot was not stained to match the rest of the wood.  I replaced the screw years ago i the forarm.

Here is the info I have from Colt and more pics.  I will not ship the gun myself to any state and must go through my FFL.

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1715.JPG

IMG_1716.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

IMG_1718.JPG

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

IMG_1721.JPG

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

Thanks for the additional info and best of luck with your sale.

As for me, I am in California for now so all the folks that won't ship here keep saving me money.

Archived