SASS Wire Forum

CAS with BB guns

Juiceharp Jen

I got this rifle and two of the pistols and some metal targets, so I’m set up for some backyard CAS.  Still can’t believe these things shoot BBs.  They look and feel like the real thing.  BTW, that’s not my video.  Saves me from having to make one.

They are BBs for sure.  The metal targets I got are angled down and the BBs I’m using are low recoil BBs called Dust Devils.  So ricochets should not be a problem.  And these fire with about the same power as a Red Rider, so eye protection is plenty of caution anyway.  Muzzle energy is only 1 foot pound for the pistols and only a little higher on the rifle.

I have the Revolver, it's a very well made BB gun and lots of fun. Would be cool to do a winter league here in the frozen north at some sportsmans clubs that have basements but no indoor range. 

I have a pair of the Colt Peacemaker look alikes. I had Claire get me one for Christmas, and the lady at Big5 asked if she wanted BB's & CO2, she said "No he will put his Eye out" I naver laughed so hard when she told me that. The second one she bought for my 60th Birthday. They are the plated copies with plastic grips which look like ivory. and they are 7 1/2 in barrel length.  and they look good in the holsters. I have not seen the rifle yet.

I also have the pistol .

Very nice quality for a BB gun.

Where and how much was your rifle ?

Thank you .

Rooster  

I find pellets a bit safer than BBs and have the Walther Lever Action CO2 Rifle,  (LINK: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_Lever_Action_CO2_Rifle_Black/2445)

The Duke Single Action Colt Pistols are .177 lead pellets as well.

Makes for a lot of fun in the basement during the winter! :D

0319161623.jpg

4 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I find pellets a bit safer than BBs and have the Walther Lever Action CO2 Rifle,  (LINK: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Walther_Lever_Action_CO2_Rifle_Black/2445)

Makes for a lot of fun in the basement during the winter!

0319161623.jpg

I was going to get the Walther until I saw it only has an 8 capacity.  I want to practice CAS sweeps, so I need the 10 capacity of the Umarex.

3 minutes ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

I was going to get the Walther until I saw it only has an 8 capacity.  I want to practice CAS sweeps, so I need the 10 capacity of the Umarex.

To each his own.  I prefer not to chase down $2.00 cartridges all over the ground.

5 minutes ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

The metal targets were my January birthday present from Wildcard Bill.

Well, ain't that sumthin'!  I wonder what he's planning on gettin' me?  Maybe I should hold off buyin 'em myself and see what he comes up with first!

Unfortunately in my urban neighborhood I'm not even allowed to shoot spit wads. Back when I was a kid I lived in a more forested environment and blasted away with my old Daisy 95 (a beefier version of the Red Ryder) daily. The kinds of realistic Airsoft and BB replicas available to kids today would've made me green with envy back then.

3 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Unfortunately in my urban neighborhood I'm not even allowed to shoot spit wads. Back when I was a kid I lived in a more forested environment and blasted away with my old Daisy 95 (a beefier version of the Red Ryder) daily. The kinds of realistic Airsoft and BB replicas available to kids today would've made me green with envy back then.

Spitballs?  Try these.

http://www.papershooters.com/

I got two of these free with my air gun order.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I was searching for YouTube videos on Colt SAA and got duped into watching this.  I thought,  if this is what it comes to, I'll just hang it up.

https://youtu.be/pO1P2Dsk2rY

I’ve never owned an air soft gun, but if I hadn’t grown up with a Red Ryder, I never would have tried CAS in the first place.  But an awful lot of people really seem to enjoy the fire and smoke.  So I can definitely understand why it won’t be fun for some unless it goes bang.

Good day to you all,

Great to see that Sunset Sams video has found some attention on the other side of the pond. 

Although there is a CAS community here in Germany, due to our gun laws it is not easy to enter this great hobby.

As a result about two years ago Sunset Sam had the idea to look for Western fans in the German CO2 gun community. This sparked the development for a CAS with CO2 guns. 

With the replica of the Colt SAA and the Walther Lever Action there were already two CO2 guns available to get really close to the "true" CAS experience without needing all the permits and real steel guns.

Unfortunately the Walther Lever Action is not shell ejecting and there is still no suitable CO2 shotgun available.

Nevertheless we did not want to wait: In June 2018 we held our first CO2 CAS in Germany. It was great fun:

As you see, there is quite some room for improvement. (Especially in the guns safty department...)

Now we are really excited about the new Umarex Legends Cowboy Rifle! Although it is modelled after the Winchester 1894 it is using the same shells as the Umarex Colt SAA. So technically both are pistol caliber.

To address the problem with bouncing BBs I personally shoot Mauser real.smart BBs. These are copper coated lead BBs which deform on impact like pellets do.

Now some manufacturer only has to come up with a suitable shotgun and we will be fully in busines. :-)

Wish us look.

So long

Iron Hands Pete 

7 hours ago, Iron Hands Pete said:

Good day to you all,

Great to see that Sunset Sams video has found some attention on the other side of the pond. 

Although there is a CAS community here in Germany, due to our gun laws it is not easy to enter this great hobby.

As a result about two years ago Sunset Sam had the idea to look for Western fans in the German CO2 gun community. This sparked the development for a CAS with CO2 guns. 

With the replica of the Colt SAA and the Walther Lever Action there were already two CO2 guns available to get really close to the "true" CAS experience without needing all the permits and real steel guns.

Unfortunately the Walther Lever Action is not shell ejecting and there is still no suitable CO2 shotgun available.

Nevertheless we did not want to wait: In June 2018 we held our first CO2 CAS in Germany. It was great fun:

As you see, there is quite some room for improvement. (Especially in the guns safty department...)

Now we are really excited about the new Umarex Legends Cowboy Rifle! Although it is modelled after the Winchester 1894 it is using the same shells as the Umarex Colt SAA. So technically both are pistol caliber.

To address the problem with bouncing BBs I personally shoot Mauser real.smart BBs. These are copper coated lead BBs which deform on impact like pellets do.

Now some manufacturer only has to come up with a suitable shotgun and we will be fully in busines. :-)

Wish us look.

So long

Iron Hands Pete 

Welcome, Pete!

It’s so inspiring to see CAS thriving even in a state that makes it difficult. I agree that we need an air shotgun of some sort.  Maybe one that shoots bean bags?  As for safety, I’ve had great luck with the Dust Devils out of the Umarex lever action rifle.  Zero jams and they turn to powder against metal, every time.  I have a ten meter air pistol range in my house with a metal trap, and no Dust Devil has survived.  Not a single one has collected in the trap or ricocheted out into the floor.  And they are not lead, so no lead pollution.  They WILL ricochet from wood or brick, so you must take care with your backstop.  It needs to be earth or metal.  Hope this helps.

Please keep it up!!

I looked into the double shot awhile back.  It’s expensive, and it delivers way more performance than I would be comfortable using in my back yard. I expect it could take down a bear or moose, and some jurisdictions are savvy to what some airguns can accomplish and have regulations based on muzzle energy.  So it would likely be unavailable in Germany, for example.  But I think the real issue is that it does not duplicate the CAS experience well enough for training purposes.  For example, there is one trigger and a barrel selector.  

Thanjs for pointing ting out the air soft one.  I will check it out.

Ok I watched the airsoft 870 vid and that thing is so close to being a ’97, it’s not even funny.  It shouldn’t take much to design a ‘97 clone that works the same way.  I’d prefer if it fired reliadable bean bags instead of 12 BBs, but I’ll take what I can get, and I bet it would be feasible to design bean bags that would work even if it did not come standard.

I own a APS CAM 870. It is the version with the gas tank built into the bolt instead of into each cartidge. It has a gas leakage and the back end of the firing pin bloke already after a few hundred shots. At the moment neither the gun nor any spare parts are available in Germany.  Now I am stuck with an expensive piece of metal that does not work. I cannot recommend buying it.

Don't get me wrong there are shotguns which are (in theory) suitable.

The APS CAM 870, Farsan double barrel, Marushin M1887. But they are either not reliable or not available in Germany. And all of them are quite expensive.

Archived