SASS Wire Forum

Targets

Totes Magoats

Just curious what folks thoughts are on Targets.  I set up a number of matches yearly at our local club.  Typically, I paint the targets black with some sort of stencil in the center of the target (circle, star, etc) in white.  Anecdotally, I notice that the targets that have a stencil in the center, more rounds are near the center vs. just plain targets with no stencil.

On matches near a holiday, I may paint a theme stencil in the center of the target (small green Christmas tree in Dec).

My Questions:

• What color do you prefer for targets?
  • What color do you hate for targets (maybe white for BP shooters?)
  • Does a stencil or other contrasting color on the target distract you or does it help "aim small"?

Totes

4 minutes ago, Totes Magoats said:
  • What color do you prefer for targets?  BLACK
  • What color do you hate for targets (maybe white for BP shooters?)wHITE  or GRAY
  • Does a stencil or other contrasting color on the target distract you or does it help "aim small"?  Aim?  Is this a trick question?

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

If you have grass or trees down range avoid reds or greens. People that are red/green color blind cannot tell the targets from the background.

^ this.

Plus, I like black targets with a border paint about 1-2" wide.  Just my preference.

..........Widder

Black is fine especially with an outline.

We have had good luck with blue as well.

Outlines are helpful for those with a little color blindness - and the rest as well.  Doesn't take much.

As you have found, a pattern in the center definitely helps shooters hit the center.

All black except shotgun targets that remain unpainted since this is what I normally see at major matches.  Outlined targets are helpful but I prefer that local matches resemble major matches like Winter Range and EOT.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Black is fine especially with an outline.

We have had good luck with blue as well.

Outlines are helpful for those with a little color blindness - and the rest as well.  Doesn't take much.

Yep, Black w/ Red border.....Red w/ Black border.....Blue w/ Red or Black border...…. Good Luck:)

Monthly, rifle and pistol, all Black. Shotgun, unpainted. 

We used blue with white dice markings inside at the NRA on New Year’s.   IMO, Black is not a good color for inside. 

I’ve shot blue targets when I’ve gone South and I like it and I’m considering switching to blue once our current supply of Black is gone. 

Dutch

The Illowa Irregulars use blue for pistol and white for rifle.  We used to use red for shotgun, but gave that up last year.  It just didn't last past the first 6 shooters.  Now we just don't paint them.

I have shot against all black targets and that is ok. too.  I really like any color with an outline' when I don't have to do the painting.

Chancy

"As you have found, a pattern in the center definitely helps shooters hit the center. "

I have been known to use every inch of the target. Center? :) 

Target should contrast from the background.

I've been to matches where the targets were painted black and set in the shade in the berm and the targets just blended into the background. It was hard to pick up some of the targets.

I've been at some ranges that had kind of a light gravel on the ground and all the bays that lighter targets would just blend in with the ground cover.

Went to Georgia one time, and all of their targets were painted this blue that look like you squeezed a bunch of Smurfs on the steel. That seemed to work very well. no problem picking up the contrast between the steel in the background there.

Ottawa Valley Marauders, Ruff's Regulators and the Wild Turkey Posse use red, black, a little yellow, rarely white. 

We paint all one colour and don't use any different colours on the centre. We feel it gives an unfair advantage to the initial shooters at the expense of the later shooters who do not have the advantage of the smaller aiming point.

We try to ensure the colour contrasts with the berm and we have, occasionally outlined the target with a lighter colour. 

I do my very  best to paint them all with little lead colored circles ........ :)

9 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Went to Georgia one time, and all of their targets were painted this blue that look like you squeezed a bunch of Smurfs on the steel. That seemed to work very well. no problem picking up the contrast between the steel in the background there.

Yes sir, we use the blue used for traffic markings. Sometimes we use a white border. For different occasions (holidays) we'll use orange or red/green; whatever the stages call for. There's a reason emergency lights are blue now instead of red; your eye picks it up better.

Any light color with a black outline.

We go black for rifle and pistol and don't bother to paint shotgun as it all gets shot off anyway.

Some times have to go white for our long range targets if we've had a fire recently.

Worst I've ever seen was red and green targets against a green background.  Even shooters without any red/green color issues couldn't distinguish most of the targets.

As I remember several years ago some of the local USPSA/IPSC clubs had to stop using black & red paint on targets 

This was due to complaints of teaching shooters to shoot certain colors of (People)

I shoot at a club that used to put a dot in the center of the targets until they realized how much it helped the Outlaws. When I work with new Outlaw shooters I will put a dot in the center of the target to get them used to looking at the center instead of just at the target. Sure made it easier to hit that target. Dont really have a problem with most colors unless someone has talked me into shooting Black Powder, then it starts to matter.:wacko:

18 hours ago, Red Cent said:

"As you have found, a pattern in the center definitely helps shooters hit the center. "

I have been known to use every inch of the target. Center? :)

There are days where you could take the centers out, and it wouldn't affect me one bit!  Now, if you start removing edges, my miss count goes up considerably!

We use flat black mostly and sometimes  red or blue, but we have one particular rifle target that just insists on always being painted green, and who are we to argue with him?

IMG_1719.jpg

We have  been  using  for the last several  years:

Texas Ranger red for rifle 

Texas  Ranger blue  for pistol  

Black  for  sg.  

I used  to  paint  a bull in the  center   (Often a theme  of the season  ) and a white border, but  our work crew  doesn't  do that  now.

2 hours ago, Hellbender said:

We use flat black mostly and sometimes  red or blue, but we have one particular rifle target that just insists on always being painted green, and who are we to argue with him?

IMG_1719.jpg

I like that! 

7 minutes ago, Carolina Drifter said:

I like that! 

We really have fun with this one!  You stage your rifle on a platform that serves as a release for the gator when you pick up your rifle.  The rifle sequence always involves some combination of the moving gator and anywhere from 2 to 5 stationary rifle targets that the gator moves behind as it travels from left to right.

5 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

We really have fun with this one!  You stage your rifle on a platform that serves as a release for the gator when you pick up your rifle.  The rifle sequence always involves some combination of the moving gator and anywhere from 2 to 5 stationary rifle targets that the gator moves behind as it travels from left to right.

I'd love to be able to shoot that! Sounds like a blast!

On 1/23/2019 at 3:03 PM, Totes Magoats said:

Just curious what folks thoughts are on Targets.  I set up a number of matches yearly at our local club.  Typically, I paint the targets black with some sort of stencil in the center of the target (circle, star, etc) in white.  Anecdotally, I notice that the targets that have a stencil in the center, more rounds are near the center vs. just plain targets with no stencil.

On matches near a holiday, I may paint a theme stencil in the center of the target (small green Christmas tree in Dec).

My Questions:

• What color do you prefer for targets?
  • What color do you hate for targets (maybe white for BP shooters?)
  • Does a stencil or other contrasting color on the target distract you or does it help "aim small"?

Totes

This is what I like best, but it is a lot of work.

IMG_2344.thumb.JPG.68b9ab4e0c79bb0abdc3a94d122ea996.JPG

Randy

6 minutes ago, Carolina Drifter said:

I'd love to be able to shoot that! Sounds like a blast!

If you're ever find yourself passing through Lake Charles, Louisiana on the 2nd or 4th Saturday of the month, come shoot with us!

7 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

If you're ever find yourself passing through Lake Charles, Louisiana on the 2nd or 4th Saturday of the month, come shoot with us!

I appreciate that! May have to try and plan for it one day. That's one goal of mine since I came back to SASS after many years away is to travel and shoot more.

Archived