SASS Wire Forum

california gun law question

Coyote Kid, SASS#54714

I'm planning a trip to CA next year and I'm wondering what the rules for having a handgun in my vehicle as I travel thru CA.

My CCW covers me thru all the states I'll travel through, but I'm not sure about the rules in CA.

Anyone (especially LEOs) have some info for me. Happy Trails.

Thanks, Coyote Kid

As an out of stater I'd have it unloaded and locked in the trunk in a locked CA approved gun safe. And leave the keys to said gun safe at home. ;)

Why take the chance?

As a Jan 2, 2013 escapee from the PRK I offer the following advice.  CA doesn't recognize a CCW permit from any other state.  Unless the firearm is defined by CA a an assault weapon, it must be unloaded and not accessible to occupant's.  I.E. trigger lock, in a lockbox or in the trunk.  Lockable glove box or console is a no no.  If your semi-auto firearm has 2 or more of the following features it's prohibited: detachable* magazine (except in hand grip, barrel shroud, weak hand vertical grip, flash hider, bayonet lug, adjustable stock, folding stock.  Don't even carry the part of the firearm the ATF considers a firearm (AR lower receiver) either.  I suggest you use trigger locks; so, that you can move a firearm from vehicle to lodging & visa versa wo/excessive hassles.

*Not detachable means the magazine removal requires disassembly firearm.  

P.S. Leave your >10 round magazines at home.  So, unless you have 1911 or semi-auto pocket gun that the standard mag. holds 10 or less you must have Clinton Gun Ban compliant magazines.

The handgun I keep in the car is a S&W M&P Shield. The mag holds 7 rounds. If it's in the back of my SUV, under the floor panel with a trigger lock, is it OK? 

Does it still have to be in a lock box?

There is 5 other states I'll be traveling through,, so I rather have it with me.

WOW, now I know why I don't attend shoots in California.

Coyote Kid

1 minute ago, Coyote Kid, SASS#54714 said:

Coyote Kid

Oh-Pleazzzzzzzz. You ask for CA residents to help you, and then insult us......:rolleyes:

Carry on,

OLG

1 hour ago, Coyote Kid, SASS#54714 said:

The handgun I keep in the car is a S&W M&P Shield. The mag holds 7 rounds. If it's in the back of my SUV, under the floor panel with a trigger lock, is it OK? 

Does it still have to be in a lock box?

There is 5 other states I'll be traveling through,, so I rather have it with me.

Coyote Kid

What does the carry laws have to do with going to a match???

Phantom

No insult intended, just my personal thought as someone who drives around many states and doesn't have to think about having a firearm in my console. 

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

HG's in CA. have to be unloaded in a locked container.

CA does NOT accept any out of state CCW other than LEO.

If the gun is in the living area of an RV-No worries........

OLG

OLG has it correct.  The LEOSA of 2004 covers current LEOs and honorably retired LEOs.

Archived