SASS Wire Forum

Murder?

Alpo

What would you normally be charged with if you ran a stop sign, hit another car, and killed the driver?

Kid, 14, out with some friends egging cars. Someone (not a cop) starts chasing them. Trying to escape the chaser, he runs a stop sign, hits another car and kills the driver.

I understand that, in most places, death during the commission of a felony gets you charged with murder.

But I'm pretty sure that neither underage driving, egging, nor running a stop sign, is a felony.

Just trying to understand WHY the murder charge.

In Missouri it would take at least 2 laws being broken for charges of Manslaughter. Here you probably have at least 3. 1st no drivers license, 2nd more than likely excessive speed. 3rd failure to stop for a stop sign. Those would be the charges presented to the juvenile division and the decision would be from the prosecutor if those charges would be filed. (Alcohol/stolen vehicle/drugs could be another story) There would be no falling under the guide lines in this case for murder charges, only manslaughter. 

The charge would most likely be Involuntary Manslaughter, as there was no intent to do harm, although I suspect the charges would be reduced in order to get a plea.

I gotta ask what charges the driver that was chasing the kids car would face?

Murder -The unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.

Manslaughter - The crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.

As usual I would think the writer of the story exaggerated on wording and used the word murder to sensationalize his story. Has the media ever done that?

Or there is much more to the story that would lead to murder charges.

8 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I gotta ask what charges the driver that was chasing the kids car would face?

He might be better off keeping his mouth shut. He also could be the #1 witness for this incident and testify on behalf of the state as to what was going on and the kid running the red light. Any charges would be deferred by the state for his testimony. 

Only thing I see he could have done is traffic violations. Speeding, following too close, not signaling. Maybe running a stop sign or failure to yield.

Couldn't be "leaving the scene". He wasn't in the accident.

Unless he was so close behind that he pushed the kid into the car. But that's just speculation.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Only thing I see he could have done is traffic violations. Speeding, following too close, not signaling. Maybe running a stop sign or failure to yield.

Couldn't be "leaving the scene". He wasn't in the accident.

Unless he was so close behind that he pushed the kid into the car. But that's just speculation.

I’ll bet you’re wrong on the just traffic violations only part. There may be charges against him for chasing the kid and ultimately causing the crash that killed the innocent motorist. He didn’t have to do it.

driver who was chasing the kid:  Christopher Lopez, 48, is charged with manslaughter, failure to stop and render aid, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection with the Houston crash

https://nypost.com/2019/01/15/texas-man-charged-in-fatal-crash-sparked-by-egg-throwing-prank/

And the plot deepens.

Manslaughter and Reckless Driving !

Rooster   

Archived