SASS Wire Forum

Sure Hit Slick “no bite” 73 trigger anyone?

Barbatos

I’m curious as to whether anyone has any experience or input using the Sure Hit “no bite” trigger for the Uberti 1873 rifle from Slick Magic Guns. Not to be confused with the straight Slix-Trigger found elsewhere. 

“No Bite” shown here

FB9DC18F-4CDB-485B-B6E5-93C1F5E7080A.thumb.jpeg.ef6bc50d22527935c0d91538564b2878.jpeg

This is the straight Slix-Trigger

9BBE7880-4A60-449C-A44A-A177D2C9DE6C.jpeg.1cf7158e58ad8eb734e89a64d2482fb0.jpeg

I have the straight Slix-trigger. While it did clean up most of the trigger flop. I seem to not be a fan of how far forward and angled towards the muzzle it sits within the trigger guard. 

Decided to throw the stock trigger back in for a test run and managed to instantly send it right into my trigger finger :blink: bleeding pretty good as I type haha. 

“No Bite” it sounding pretty nice right about now.

Any input is much appreciated.  

IMO it depends on how you shoot the rifle. If you shoot like many of the old school classics that rotated their finger CCW , kept in the trigger guard and rolled down the trigger face these are a HORRIBLE choice......lol. 

If you are a trigger slapper or slam fire type shooter they work great......so it just depends. 

I've been happy with the Slix trigger. It took a bit of getting use to but now I like it. It stopped the finger "Bite" for me and I rarely kick out a unfired round using it. I suppose that I am a Trigger Slapper when I'm going fast. The Forward mount and crisp let-off of the Slix Trigger works well for that style. Don't know about this new one, it may also have a learning curve. One thing is for sure, I didn't care for the original trigger.  

28 minutes ago, Deadshot Dan said:

I just want ta know, will this trigger stop the live round's from ejecting outta my rifle ?  If so i want one.  :D

Do you have your trigger safety installed?

7 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Do you have your trigger safety installed?

Yes sir, it has been lightened also.  It's more of a rhythm thing i suppose.  Thought one of these after market trigger's might give me better trigger engagement without the bite.  Although it has become less of a problem with more practice.  Awhile back at a monthly i bragged to Lassiter on the way to the loading table that it happened to me for a good while.  He laughed and told me i shouldn't have said that.  Guess what, he was right.  Got to my rifle on that stage and jacked out a live round.  Mind over matter, just stop thinkin bout it.

No doubt that it is all about Timing. Getting the trigger to release at the same time as the safety is depressed it the key. It seems to me that with the forward trigger if you are a little bit early it doesn't matter, the hammer won't drop until the lever lifts the safety. There have been a few times that I have indeed kicked out a live round, but they have always been a light hit. I think it was caused by me operating the lever before the hammer fall was completed. A fast lock time can be important when zooming that lever. 

57 minutes ago, Deadshot Dan said:

I just want ta know, will this trigger stop the live round's from ejecting outta my rifle ?  If so i want one.  :D

Absolutely NOT!  It will actually make the problem worse for a while.  The reason is that the straight trigger puts the trigger face closer to your finger thus changing the timing of how fast your finger gets there.  Until you get used to that live rounds will be raining down like a monsoon.  Trust me, been there, don't that.  :(

That' being said, I'll never bad mouth anything that comes from Slick Magic.  They're all great products put out by a great cowboy.  You just have to decide for yourself which ones work best for you.  

Adding a set screw to the back of the trigger helped stop the trigger movement (less than $136 too).

I went through the trigger pinch for a couple weeks this year. I put tape on my trigger finger and re-trained my brain not to do that any more...

Much of this gun slicking stuff is not always the solution to our problems. Most of us can not shoot fast enough to gain advantage from many of these modifications. Most of these issues are from trying to shoot too fast, too soon. It's more of a psychological advantage which does not correct the problem of your brain telling your hand to do the wrong thing. We lighten the hammer spring to reduce drag on the lever and suddenly we can lever the gun faster than the hammer can fall, and live bullets start raining down around us. 

Slow down! Let your brain learn the correct process before you turn up the horsepower.

One low tech example is loading the SxS. Ever notice that the faster you try to load, the more those shells don't want to go in the hole? When your all cranked up on adrenaline your hands are bouncing around all over the place. This takes more time than just slowing down to "smooth".

Monthly matches are the place for practice and experimenting on what works best for us. Doing the same thing every stage just to beat the clock reinforces the things we do poorly. Change things up a bit and use the timer to measure the results, not  your standings in the match. I tried shooting double cock gunfighter for a while. Now, even though I generally shoot sequential cock, I instinctively change back and forth between sequential and double cock in the same stage sequence to eliminate the time consuming crossover a gunfighter has to deal with. Most stages are written which favor five shot groups, not ten shot gunfighter. Sometimes it's faster to shoot duelist,  so you have to be good at both ways. Shooting two handed is always faster, "if" you can holster and draw your second gun fast. It's not so much about how fast you can dump five rounds, but how fast you can get to the second pistol. Which do we practice on the most?

3 minutes ago, Blast Masterson said:

Adding a set screw to the back of the trigger helped stop the trigger movement (less than $136 too)....

Would this not be an external modification?

It goes up at the top, in the receiver by the lever safety.

No more than changing triggers that didn't come with the gun. Is a short stroke an external modification? It visually reduces how far the lever moves.

This keeps the trigger from moving too far back and crushing your finger. If the space between the trigger and lever is wider, at least it won't draw blood.

20190123_104424.jpg

We have the Sure Hit triggers in all four of our 73s and love them. Truly "no bite". There issue with the trigger safety possibly being too short but that was remedied by adding a very small amount of weld to the front of the safety bar and profiling.

DC

6 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

IMO it depends on how you shoot the rifle. If you shoot like many of the old school classics that rotated their finger CCW , kept in the trigger guard and rolled down the trigger face these are a HORRIBLE choice......lol. 

If you are a trigger slapper or slam fire type shooter they work great......so it just depends. 

I have taken a liking to the slam fire technique over the last few weeks of practice. 

5 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I've been happy with the Slix trigger. It took a bit of getting use to but now I like it. It stopped the finger "Bite" for me and I rarely kick out a unfired round using it. I suppose that I am a Trigger Slapper when I'm going fast. The Forward mount and crisp let-off of the Slix Trigger works well for that style. Don't know about this new one, it may also have a learning curve. One thing is for sure, I didn't care for the original trigger.  

I feel as if with the slix trigger, I’m getting on the trigger too soon and really having to focus on getting the lever all the way closed when moving the tempo up. Something that was natural for me on a further back set trigger. I’m sure it’s something i could train out. 

3 hours ago, Blast Masterson said:

Adding a set screw to the back of the trigger helped stop the trigger movement (less than $136 too).

I went through the trigger pinch for a couple weeks this year. I put tape on my trigger finger and re-trained my brain not to do that any more...

Much of this gun slicking stuff is not always the solution to our problems. Most of us can not shoot fast enough to gain advantage from many of these modifications. Most of these issues are from trying to shoot too fast, too soon. It's more of a psychological advantage which does not correct the problem of your brain telling your hand to do the wrong thing. We lighten the hammer spring to reduce drag on the lever and suddenly we can lever the gun faster than the hammer can fall, and live bullets start raining down around us. 

Slow down! Let your brain learn the correct process before you turn up the horsepower.

One low tech example is loading the SxS. Ever notice that the faster you try to load, the more those shells don't want to go in the hole? When your all cranked up on adrenaline your hands are bouncing around all over the place. This takes more time than just slowing down to "smooth".

Monthly matches are the place for practice and experimenting on what works best for us. Doing the same thing every stage just to beat the clock reinforces the things we do poorly. Change things up a bit and use the timer to measure the results, not  your standings in the match. 

I cant stress how important this approach is, with nearly every aspect of life!

2 hours ago, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

We have the Sure Hit triggers in all four of our 73s and love them. Truly "no bite". There issue with the trigger safety possibly being too short but that was remedied by adding a very small amount of weld to the front of the safety bar and profiling.

DC

Good to know!

Thanks for all of the replies. I know most of these things boil down to preference and technique...multiplied times practice...divided by ability. 

I feel as if I may be Goldilocks’ing myself here a bit haha, the Slix sits too forward for my taste, and the stock sits a little too far back, while feeling more natural. Trying to find that perfect middle ground. 

I have not tried the "No-Bite" trigger.  I have installed the Slick trigger in 2 rifles and do like them.   But on the 3rd rifle I tried bending the stock trigger forward as Garrison Joe has spoken,  and think this is a useable option also.  Moved the tip of the trigger forward, giving it a little more hook while locating the tip a little less than 1/8 inch.   Plus, have an extra $50 to buy powder and primers       GW

31 minutes ago, Barbatos said:

Here is an installed pic of the Slix-Trigger. You can see how far forward and angled towards the muzzle it sits. 

CC47F687-D5E8-432E-9456-BCF7ABFE75F3.thumb.jpeg.36586a4279d163a27fab73db4188c526.jpeg

Wow, that is a lot further forward than I would have thought! I was tempted to buy one because of the "no bite" name but in the description it said it would only "help eliminate" the bite. If it had said they guaranteed you would never get a bite again, I think I would have bought it. Now I'm glad I didn't. I don't think I could get used to that.

I was so tired of getting bit. I don't want to admit how many times I've done it. Messed me up good on my last match. I got a bad one warming up for the speed side matches before the main match. Throws more off than you'd think. You hesitate on the rifle and the whole match I was dropping shotgun shells because of my taped up fingers. After that I ground our guns like I mentioned and haven't had it happen again. It hasn't been very long but I am sure with how much I took off that it can't be as bad if it does happen again. 

1 hour ago, Chicken George* said:

Wow, that is a lot further forward than I would have thought! I was tempted to buy one because of the "no bite" name but in the description it said it would only "help eliminate" the bite. If it had said they guaranteed you would never get a bite again, I think I would have bought it. Now I'm glad I didn't. I don't think I could get used to that.

I was so tired of getting bit. I don't want to admit how many times I've done it. Messed me up good on my last match. I got a bad one warming up for the speed side matches before the main match. Throws more off than you'd think. You hesitate on the rifle and the whole match I was dropping shotgun shells because of my taped up fingers. After that I ground our guns like I mentioned and haven't had it happen again. It hasn't been very long but I am sure with how much I took off that it can't be as bad if it does happen again. 

Yeah, the forward angle of the trigger feels very unnatural to me. I’m a habitual fiddler, so I’m going to play around with your idea of reprofiling the trigger. 

I tried the straight trigger and took it off immediately. I didn't like it at all.  I put the no-bite trigger in and I have not gotten "bitten" since I put it in. That's about 2 years.  I like it.  Got it on both of my '73s.

Froward is GOOD if you slam fire. I fought it because it looks odd but wouldn't take it out for nothing now. But obviously technique and practice is key...….and there are several ways to skin that cat. But the whole reason it's so far forward is by design. The only problem with em' is you may get caught patting yourself on the back after you shoot it and then leave a shotgun target up...…….lol 

Tried the straight trigger also and didn't like it so I bought a no bite trigger. Had only pinched my finger slightly over eight years maybe six times with the stock trigger. With the new no bite trigger I blead myself every other match and then I almost tore off a hunk of meat so, so much for the no bite trigger. Put the original back on.

1 hour ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Froward is GOOD if you slam fire. I fought it because it looks odd but wouldn't take it out for nothing now. But obviously technique and practice is key...….and there are several ways to skin that cat. But the whole reason it's so far forward is by design. The only problem with em' is you may get caught patting yourself on the back after you shoot it and then leave a shotgun target up...…….lol 

Haha, that’s some good shooting! Being a slam fire fan, I’m going to give it another week or so of practice and see if my preference changes. 

1 hour ago, Major B. S. Walker said:

Tried the straight trigger also and didn't like it so I bought a no bite trigger. Had only pinched my finger slightly over eight years maybe six times with the stock trigger. With the new no bite trigger I blead myself every other match and then I almost tore off a hunk of meat so, so much for the no bite trigger. Put the original back on.

1st ever match I shot, I sent a 94 marlin trigger right through my finger...had to apologize for bleeding all over the guns so kindly loaned to me :lol:

Fast forward to now and I find out my 73 has a taste for blood as well haha. 

17 hours ago, Barbatos said:

Here is an installed pic of the Slix-Trigger. You can see how far forward and angled towards the muzzle it sits. 

CC47F687-D5E8-432E-9456-BCF7ABFE75F3.thumb.jpeg.36586a4279d163a27fab73db4188c526.jpeg

I have the Slix-Trigger on 3 of my '73's.  To me(may be the angle photo taken)...but your trigger seems to be more angled forward than any of my triggers!:unsure:

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0391.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

6 hours ago, Chicken George* said:

I have 3 Slix_Triggers...Mine do not sit that far forward!! Takes about a couple matches to shoot and get use to it, but once you do...good to go!!

1 hour ago, Lucky L said:

I have the Slix-Trigger on 3 of my '73's.  To me(may be the angle photo taken)...but your trigger seems to more angled forward than any of my triggers!:unsure:

IMG_0391.JPG

WHOA! Now that looks way more reasonable. If you compare the angle of the trigger compared to the line of the lever near the stock. You can definitely see a difference. *googles new replacement sear* 

9 hours ago, Barbatos said:

WHOA! Now that looks way more reasonable. If you compare the angle of the trigger compared to the line of the lever near the stock. You can definitely see a difference. *googles new replacement sear* 

If you need some help or questions regarding the trigger..contact Ol#4 or Boothill Bandit here on the wire...they can give you some suggestions!

On 1/23/2019 at 8:43 AM, Deadshot Dan said:

Yes sir, it has been lightened also.  It's more of a rhythm thing i suppose.  Thought one of these after market trigger's might give me better trigger engagement without the bite.  Although it has become less of a problem with more practice.  Awhile back at a monthly i bragged to Lassiter on the way to the loading table that it happened to me for a good while.  He laughed and told me i shouldn't have said that.  Guess what, he was right.  Got to my rifle on that stage and jacked out a live round.  Mind over matter, just stop thinkin bout it.

I have the same problem sometimes, I think I have diagnosed the problem as "A Loose Nut Behind The Trigger"  I haven't totally cured the problem though.

Randy

10 minutes ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I have the same problem sometimes, I think I have diagnosed the problem as "A Loose Nut Behind The Trigger"  I haven't totally cured the problem though.

Randy

That's what it has to be for me then Randy, since everyone say's us Buckeye's are a bunch a crazy nut's.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:17 AM, Blast Masterson said:

It's not so much about how fast you can dump five rounds, but how fast you can get to the second pistol. Which do we practice on the most?

Agree. 

I use a Slix straight trigger and have never had the experience of a stabbed trigger finger, although my wife has.  Her severe finger stab was the result of her pushing her shooting cadence way too fast for the shooting situation, in a rocking, moving ore cart. 

To me, slowing down on the round cycling is a viable way to achieve several end points, especially if one concentrates on reducing their all-important transition times to compensate. 

Figure about 1/4 to 1/2 sec per rifle shot.  Hurrying up to take off a couple more hundredths sec. per shot X 10 shots is a 0.2 sec gain per stage.  

Now figure 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 sec to transition to the first rifle shot, and that's in a Stand-Shoot stage situation (longer for location changes).  Working to reduce that transition time by 1/2 sec makes much more sense than risking misses by overrunning one's lock time to shoot faster.  And in choosing that practice focus, expelled live rounds, and finger pinch would be brought under control, along with missed targets.  

Regardless of equipment mods, a shooter simply cannot increase their trigger speed enough to make up for missed targets or jacked out rounds.  

So I continue to work on those transition times.  

Ended up throwing my stock trigger back in and reprofiling it. Feels pretty good, aside from the “slop” of it not being perfectly fit to the sear. It’ll do for now, until I figure out what I really want. 

9A7AEE17-DBD8-4107-A1B2-C883E55E5916.thumb.jpeg.d208c0640225df0aa6bc0e2193d1b17a.jpeg

Archived