Departed: Yes
Entered Service At:
G.O. Number:
Date of Issue:  
Accredited To: New Jersey
Place / Date:

BASILONE, JOHN Photo

Citation

For extraordinary heroism and conspicuous gallantry in action against enemy Japanese forces, above and beyond the call of duty, while serving with the 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division in the Lunga Area. Guadalcanal, Solomon Islands, on 24 and 25 October 1942. While the enemy was hammering at the Marines' defensive positions, Sgt. Basilone, in charge of 2 sections of heavy machineguns, fought valiantly to check the savage and determined assault. In a fierce frontal attack with the Japanese blasting his guns with grenades and mortar fire, one of Sgt. Basilone's sections, with its guncrews, was put out of action, leaving only 2 men able to carry on. Moving an extra gun into position, he placed it in action, then, under continual fire, repaired another and personally manned it, gallantly holding his line until replacements arrived. A little later, with ammunition critically low and the supply lines cut off, Sgt. Basilone, at great risk of his life and in the face of continued enemy attack, battled his way through hostile lines with urgently needed shells for his gunners, thereby contributing in large measure to the virtual annihilation of a Japanese regiment. His great personal valor and courageous initiative were in keeping with the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

If you’re ever driving down I5, north of Oceanside and on the north end of Camp Pendleton there is an exit onto Basilone Rd. every time I go through there I remember his heroics. 

MOH and Navy Cross?  One bad dude.

43 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Guys like him, Joe Foss, Marion Carl and Alvin York were my heroes when I was a kid. Not some film actor or rock musician. Unfortunately kids these days have an entirely different concept of what a "hero" is.

A very astute observation, Sixgun. Not only kids but a large number of adults have no concept of what a true hero is.

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Guys like him, Joe Foss, Marion Carl and Alvin York were my heroes when I was a kid. Not some film actor or rock musician. Unfortunately kids these days have an entirely different concept of what a "hero" is.

SS:

I think you might be surprised.  There is way more respect for military service now than there was 50 years ago.  Appreciation for heroism is a function of the times; it rises during periods of success in conflicts and drops off during unpopular wars.   Kids who came of age during periods of peace tend to idolize sports, music and popular heros; kids whose families were directly involved in military service, or who grew up during a period of successful military operations, are more likely to respect and emulate those who fought and served.  911 marked the start of an upward curve, as young people saw men and women step forward in defense of our civilization.

LL

There is also a brass plaque, dedicated to USMC Sgt Basilone,  on a rock slab at the most Northern NJTP rest stop.

:FlagAm:

12 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Sadly, "Manila John" Basilone died on Iwo Jima. His legend lives on, along with Lew Diamond and Chesty Puller in the annals of Marine Corps history. :FlagAm:

And Dan Daly!

0E27F088-192C-4FF7-AB24-4A5A96CDFC38.jpeg

Archived