SASS Wire Forum

Wood Gun Carts (Problem Solved)

Snakebite

After years of using a wood gun cart, I switched to a Rugged Gear 4 gun cart a couple years back. Well I'm ready to go back to a wood cart. I would normally build one myself, but too busy right now, and would like to get one before WR. I want one that folds up or breaks down easily. Any suggestions. Does anyone know if someone will be selling take down wood carts at WR?

Snakebite

Howdy Snakebite, hey i'm just going the opposite direction as you.  Course my cart doesn't fold up and it's red oak, pretty but heavy to put in the back of the truck.  I was just wondering since your going back ta wood are there anything's about the rugged gear's i don't know about.  Thank you.                                                                          Deadshot                                                                                                                       

Howdy Snakebite!   

I went back to wood after using a Rugged Gear for two years.  Nothing wrong with it at all, I just like the feel and look of wood.  Here is what I have and really like it.  Folds up real nice.  https://www.mustangwoodcrafters.com/

Crossfire

Oh, I'm not putting the Rugged Gear cart down. The biggest thing that I don't like about them is the fact that there is no place to sit down when you need to. Carrying a stool didn't work well for me. My wife shoots and usually helps to keep score when ever they want her to. She needs a place to sit when she does that. I saw a Mustang fold down cart.. it actually folded down to a much smaller size than the Rugged gear, and I liked the fact that the box/s were easily removeable. I may order one of those, but with shipping to California, they are a bit pricy. I don't like the Floopy bags on the Rugged Gear carts as much as a nice box. 

5 minutes ago, Crossfire Brown said:

Howdy Snakebite!   

I went back to wood after using a Rugged Gear for two years.  Nothing wrong with it at all, I just like the feel and look of wood.  Here is what I have and really like it.  Folds up real nice.  https://www.mustangwoodcrafters.com/

Crossfire

Yeah... I liked that one too, but I don't think that it is worth $600. If I can get the time, I'll copy it for about 1/4 of that price. 

Use a wooden cart myself. The only problem is some people that have the Rugged Gear carts don't have a place to sit. Often I go back to my cart after shooting a stage and find someone, in the way, sitting on my cart.

Straight Arrow Hombre makes a nice take down cart.   He's one of Deuces buddies.  Maybe they can work something put for you.   GW

4 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Oh, I'm not putting the Rugged Gear cart down. The biggest thing that I don't like about them is the fact that there is no place to sit down when you need to. Carrying a stool didn't work well for me. My wife shoots and usually helps to keep score when every they want her to. She needs a place to sit when she does that. I saw a Mustang fold down cart.. it actually folded down to a much smaller size than the Rugged gear, and I liked the fact that the box/s were easily removeable. I may order one of those, but with shipping to California, they are a bit pricy. I don't like the Floopy bags on the Rugged Gear carts as much as a nice box. 

Thanks Snakebite, i can see your point's and to me there's just something about a wood cart.  I made mine when i got started and wish i'd done a few thing's different.  To bad i'm not going to WR i live about 25 mins from Mustang, i'd haul ya out one.  They are really nice.

The Mustang Woodcrafter's Cart is of first rate quality and folds up very small, is very light and worth every penny. I do allot of fabrication and work on all my guns myself (just got done building a shot maker) but the cart would have just taken to much time for me to do and never would have turned out as good. The shipping was in the cost of the cart which I had made in December. That was a deciding factor as I am a certified tightwad! (no documentation, self taught)

I've seen some of his masterpieces. But they are NOT gun carts... they are Works of ART that some people use to put their guns in. :D 

slightly sideways comment on lack of seating

I got a cheap fold up stool from wallyworld which fits from below the rear handle down to inside the axle.  Got a cushion--a big soft one cause I like my creature comforts.

I hold it one with a carabiner (removed its gate) with velcro short strap.  It keeps the stool off the ground and is easy to use and store 

item_XL_36745647_143910916.jpg

Hey Snakebite, I have a mustang cart for sale. I can deliver it to Cowtown in Phoenix. Pm me if interested for pics and price.     KingSnake

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Yeah... I liked that one too, but I don't think that it is worth $600. If I can get the time, I'll copy it for about 1/4 of that price. 

Snakebite, I was fortunate that I was able to buy mine a few years ago and it was around $400 back then.  A lot of the other wood cart makers are gone so there may be less competition and this is a very well thought out cart so I suspect the company is able to sell for the higher price.  

Regarding your comment about Yul Lose, I agree completely.  His carts are pure works of art!

Crossfire

I've been struggling with this for a while now.  I have some woodworking skills and tools but I'm too busy working to spend much time in the shop.  To further complicate things I have a car rather than a truck and I needed something I could transport easily.  There seems to be too few commercial choices out there for the new guys.

I ordered a Rugged Gear a while back.  When it arrived, I was less than impressed with the quality and then after assembly I found two tears in the fabric.  I called RG and they cheerfully issued a RMA and a refund.  They were great to deal with even in an unfortunate situation.

I ended up ordering a Mustang Cart and it should arrive next week.  Josh has been great to deal with and I'm looking forward to seeing his work in person.

Devlin

10 minutes ago, KingSnake said:

Hey Snakebite, I have a mustang cart for sale. I can deliver it to Cowtown in Phoenix. Pm me if interested for pics and price.     KingSnake

PM sent

4 minutes ago, Deadly Double J, SASS# 25626 said:

Hi, does anyone know of some good DIY plans to build your own wooden cart available anyplace online?

@Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life immortal gun carts:

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Rolan_Kraps?searchTerms=&pageOffset=2

2 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Straight Arrow Hombre makes a nice take down cart.   He's one of Deuces buddies.  Maybe they can work something put for you.   GW

Thanks G W. I’ve got a handful of carts in the works right now with a couple not spoken for. Deuce is taking a trailer to WR and hauling some out. 

5 minutes ago, Straight Arrow Hombre said:

Thanks G W. I’ve got a handful of carts in the works right now with a couple not spoken for. Deuce is taking a trailer to WR and hauling some out. 

No problem.   Been pondering over your cart for awhile.   After I mentioned you I checked the Merchant Corner and saw it was closed.  Worried I spoke out of turn.   If you had had one at Gunsmoke last year I might have jumped on it.      GW 

• Snakebite changed the title to Wood Gun Carts (Problem Solved)

Archived