SASS Wire Forum

Old phone

Probably for people like this girl I knew back in the late 80s. She would borrow her doctor-boyfriend's pager when she was out and about. Wearing the pager made her LOOK important.

A reproduction. Hand set is a "G" type handset, but may have newer electronic transmitter and receiver units in it. Originals would have been carbon type units and heavy. Rotary dial may turn  and dial, but unit probably converts pulses to tones. [ May be a small slide switch on side of set marked as T-P (tone or pulse)]. Red light probably lights up on incoming call flashing red along with electronic ringer/buzzer. Green light is an "in use lamp" more than likely an L.E.D. which is also a repro unit. Small jacks in front of set are too small for old style headsets; these probably use small 2.5 mm plugs found on music earphone used today. White keys may be used to store "frequently dialed numbers"; white buttons used to release depressed buttons(?). A real conversation piece and, if in working order, would be nice to have in a collection.

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I never saw anything like it.

And from the looks of the bottom I think it has discrete electronics inside.

Not in use though, just decorative.

7A12EDCE-337B-4ABA-BD5D-60224EABDB97.jpeg

48D66325-594C-4BCE-A338-ED7FBA2DA04E.jpeg

I suspect no electronics.  Multi contact mechanical switches.   Hi Tech (in the day) office phone.  25 pair connection cable?

6 big buttons across the bottom are line selectors.  Lights under the buttons let's the user know which line is in use.  

Six smaller buttons put the corresponding line on hold?   Little round buttons release all calls and lines? 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

“Worth” no, asking yes.  Also asking, and not getting, 50.

the left button is directly to Putin.  )))

All of the phone company switches since the early 70's have the capability to convert pulse to tone. It's all in the telco switch room; so no matter which "signal" it receives the switch "dials" the correct number. The phone pictured would not have been connected to a PBX 25 pair cable. Not enough conductors in the visable line cord. The "G" type handset looks as though it is a carbon type handset. The internals (network) could be a circuit board, but doesn't look like the old style networks used on phones European or American. You can tell by the weight of the set when you pick it up. Circuit board network, very light even considering the whole set. Old world network you could probably use this set as a small boat anchor!

I still say it's a great conversation piece. And, oh, by the way, not all PBX systems were 25 pair cable. Early systems were 12 and 16 pair cables tied down on individual cable blocks; the "line cord" was color coded differently than the cabling/wiring it was connected to, so the installer had to know color codes of the set and what to connect that to in the cable.

Doesn't look like any type of Western Electric set I ever played with.:P

I knew that! I mostly worked residential and on sets back to the early 50's. Have a few from the 30's-40's somewhere in the attic. Also, have one old candlestick that someone unfortunately turned into a lamp.

Howdy,

I have a Russian sub clock.

After 20 years winding every Saturday, it quit.

I found a fella who fixed it but didn't want pay until

it had run 60 days.

I paid him half on the spot.

Ezzactly 60 days later I mailed him a check for the balance.

At this moment it reads 18 after the hour and the computer just turned 18 after

while I typed.

Behind the times.

Best

CR

After looking at the EBAY ad, I see a block at the end of the "line cord". I'm assuming that is where you connect the wiring. In referrence to the tone/pulse dialing, the set would usually have central office power (48 v.D.C.) to power the set. A circuit in the tel set sent either pulses or tones to the central office depending on the position of the T/P switch on the phone (circa 1980's and on). The old step central offices only accepted pulses; the newer electronic offices accepted either. A few offices had pulse to tone converters, but these were few a far between. The electronic offices didn't have that set up. AT&T, GTE/Verizon, PacBell's offices were almost always electronic offices from the mid 70's on.

My experience was lineman, residential installer/repairman, PBX installer/repairman and finally supervisor. After 31 years they  retired me at age 49 and I started my own installation/maintenance company and retired again in 2015 after putting in 58 years in telephony.

Archived