SASS Wire Forum

Need help deciding on holsters for my Schofields.

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Looking to shoot my S&W Performance Center Schofields more this season. Doc Nope will be making what ever style I decide to go with. I'm not looking for  holsters that are competitive but more for a rig that will suit the period of the guns. I combed through my Packing Iron book and just can't seem to decide. I like slim jims and mexican loops alike. Doc can make a replica of any holster based off of a pic so I'm not limited by design at all. Anyone have any suggestions?

How long are the barrels? Slim Jim holsters look better with long barrelled guns.

The Mexican loop will be easier to holster, but the Jesse James style is a beautiful rig and usable if the entry is firm and the edge curled a bit.  The tear tooling is quite attractive on these also. They tended to ride higher for mounted shooting during the early years. 

Sounds awesome that your going to take them puppies out of the safe and use them.   I'm a big fan of the Slim Jims,  You can make the holster a bit longer than they need to be to get the slimmer look.

I also like a black military style without the flap

Best regards,

Chili

3 minutes ago, Chili Pepper Pete 11917 said:

Sounds awesome that your going to take them puppies out of the safe and use them.   I'm a big fan of the Slim Jims,  You can make the holster a bit longer than they need to be to get the slimmer look.

I also like a black military style without the flap

Best regards,

Chili

Straight Arrow is trying to convince me to use the military holster with the flaps......somehow I think his intentions are not pure LOL. Thanks for all the suggestions guys keep them coming. 

6 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Straight Arrow is trying to convince me to use the military holster with the flaps......somehow I think his intentions are not pure LOL. Thanks for all the suggestions guys keep them coming. 

You can always tuck the flap behind the belt .... sneaky, gamer practice... but one I'm not above using... ;)

3 hours ago, Shotgun Clay said:

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/Holsters.html

Apparently this fellow made both the rigs for schofields in the latest version of 3:10 to Yuma and the Assassination of Jesse James

Interesting claim. This site, http://www.westernleatherholster.com/western-movie-holsters/

claims they made the holsters for that 2008 3:10 to Yuma. 

They also have many historical holsters as well such as Jesse James. 

I correct myself. They made some of the holsters in 3:10 to Yuma. 

Made to fit a Schofield would be awesome.

IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

12 minutes ago, Fargo Bill, SASS #4942 said:

What is that made from?  (kind of leather)

It is a rough-out leather, beyond that, I am not sure. It was from John Bianchi Frontier Gunleather. 

3 hours ago, John E.B. Rawton said:

Interesting claim. This site, http://www.westernleatherholster.com/western-movie-holsters/

claims they made the holsters for that 2008 3:10 to Yuma. 

They also have many historical holsters as well such as Jesse James. 

I correct myself. They made some of the holsters in 3:10 to Yuma. 

Interestingly enough the rig in 3:10 to Yuma with the guns showed up at a local gun store with paperwork authenticating it.  It was appealing, but the tariff was a bit stiff. 

Howdy

Slim Jims are great.

I had one made up by El Paso Saddlery a bunch of years ago for my New Model Number Three.

Turns out my Schofield fits in it too.

schofieldandholster02_zps77dd6ba9.jpg

schofieldinholster_zps32397bcd.jpg

Archived