SASS Wire Forum

Need help: Where does this Dillon 550 part go?

Crossfire Brown

While pulling the handle down this part (white 3/8" x 3/8" plastic nut or spacer) popped off my Dillon 550.  I cannot figure out where it goes.  The press continues to work perfect and I loaded another 250 rounds.  I have two 550s setup and I cannot find this part on the other 550 either.  From how it came at me I believe it came form around the dyes or powder bar or drop.  I am not sure however because it happened very quick.  I am guessing that probably everyone knows where this goes except for me and that's ok. When it comes to reloading I am one of the least bright bulbs in the box.  Thanks for your help!  

Crossfire

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

Loading.jpg

that goes on the arm of the powder drop,, the part that moves the charge bar,, it fits in a slot on the charge bar   look there on your other one,,

3 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

that goes on the arm of the powder drop,, the part that moves the charge bar,, it fits in a slot on the charge bar   look there on your other one,,

Thanks Cheyenne!!  I will check on it first thing in the morning when I go to the barn.  Now that I know where to look I am sure I can see it on the other one.  I kept checking the powder weight just in case it was from there somewhere but the weight stayed perfect.  Dillon make a heck of a machine.  Keeps on working right even missing a part.  Thanks again!  

1 minute ago, Chicken George* said:

15481202332374687310623643499150.thumb.jpg.27b09cea837bf91416c3ab3d1de01021.jpg

Good photo Chicken George, I can see it!!  Thanks much!! 

2 hours ago, Geronimo Jim SASS # 21775 said:

You can't be a real reloader.  That area is far to organized and clean to be a real reloader.

This must be a staged area photographed by Dillon.  

it would have taken years for that part to surface on my bench LOL.

It can, but I'd be surprised if the charges dropped remain consistent.  It'd be totally dependent on just how much overtravel the bar has for the charge dropped.   On my older 550B, the original powder measure used a pair of springs to return the bar after dropping the charge, on small charges where the charge is dropped before the bar reaches the end of its stroke, no problem... but on the new "positive" return system, the bar may not return fully to a "zero" and might short change the drop... 

I would be a little suspect of that last 250 rounds.... maybe keep them for practice rounds.  Even weighing them might not determine which, if any, were a little light in the powder department.

Great topic Crossfire Brown, with good answers.

I also have the same piece laying on my bench. Now I know where to look to place it back in it's home. 

44 minutes ago, Griff said:

It can, but I'd be surprised if the charges dropped remain consistent.  It'd be totally dependent on just how much overtravel the bar has for the charge dropped.   On my older 550B, the original powder measure used a pair of springs to return the bar after dropping the charge, on small charges where the charge is dropped before the bar reaches the end of its stroke, no problem... but on the new "positive" return system, the bar may not return fully to a "zero" and might short change the drop... 

I would be a little suspect of that last 250 rounds.... maybe keep them for practice rounds.  Even weighing them might not determine which, if any, were a little light in the powder department.

32 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

+1 to Griffs comments. I'd be giving those rounds the old funnel shake test and then maybe regulate them to practice 

Griff and Deuce, I had real concerns that the part could have come from powder area of the 550 so I kept checking my charge weight about every ten rounds.  It stayed consistent at 4.1 to 4.2.  None lower than 4.1 and none higher than 4.2.  I also always visually check the powder in the casing as I rotate the base plate.  Everything looked perfect.  I have the part back in and the bar seems to move exactly the same.  I just made 10 rounds and checked the charge weight 3 times with (1) at 4.2 and (2) at 4.1.   I will use the 250 for practice but I think they are pretty good.  Thanks to everyone for your help and advise.  I know when I ask here I am getting the best advise there is!!

Crossfire

23 minutes ago, Ya Big Tree said:

Great topic Crossfire Brown, with good answers.

I also have the same piece laying on my bench. Now I know where to look to place it back in it's home. 

You made my day Ya Big Tree!!! :D

Crossfire

2 hours ago, Crossfire Brown said:

Griff and Deuce, I had real concerns that the part could have come from powder area of the 550 so I kept checking my charge weight about every ten rounds.  It stayed consistent at 4.1 to 4.2.  None lower than 4.1 and none higher than 4.2.  I also always visually check the powder in the casing as I rotate the base plate.  Everything looked perfect.  I have the part back in and the bar seems to move exactly the same.  I just made 10 rounds and checked the charge weight 3 times with (1) at 4.2 and (2) at 4.1.   I will use the 250 for practice but I think they are pretty good.  Thanks to everyone for your help and advise.  I know when I ask here I am getting the best advise there is!!

Crossfire

Excellent!

That fell off my 550 once upon a time. I gave 600+ rounds of 44 specials to a friend because I had a few squibs from that lot. There was no way I was going to pull that many rounds, or pound that many bullets out of barrels.:rolleyes: I informed him and he said he didn't mind pulling them. He wound up with about 200 that were powder free. Also had 600+ 200gr bullets and 600+ primed 44 special cases.

Missing and Back Home pictures.

Thanks to all, especially Crossfire Brown for bringing up the question.

Luckily it was off the Square Deal B press that was loading the wife's 38 spl. ammo. All my match ammo should be good to go! :D

Back HomeBack Home

Archived