SASS Wire Forum

FREE Safe

Colonel Shep, SASS #393

A friend sent me a note and I asked if I knew any "gun people" in the San Francisco area that might be interested in a Mosler safe she'd like to lose.  (It's available regardless of where you are, but considering you need to go get it, I would think the closer to San Francisco, the better.)  It's big - about 6 feet tall, over 3 feet wide.  I included a pic of the safe and the two plates she found on it.  You can probably google for more info based on them.  From what I found, it looked like it might make a decent gun safe.  If you're interested, email her, Janet, at boulder14226(AT)hotmail.com (replace (AT) with @

It has been a LONG time since I posted on the forum and it was not clear if this type of post was permitted.  It clearly did not fit in the classifieds because it is definitely inconsistent with those rules.  I was just trying to help a friend and possibly a cowboy who could use a safe.  If it's wrong and causes someone to suffer a microaggression, I'm sorry and the moderators can delete it.

safe 3.jpg

safe 2.jpg

safe 1.jpg

Unless the safe has a day safe inside, it will make an excellent safe for storing guns with its' 4 hour fire rating.  If it does then it's suitable for hand guns.  The difficulty will be moving it because it has at least 4 inch walls, top, bottom & doors.  Nothing it is made of is light weight (steel & concrete).  My educated guess is it weights 4k lbs.

57 minutes ago, Ya Big Tree said:

Wow, This would be nice to have, but I'm not going to pay shipping to Indiana.

I'll go with ya if you want it. Drive in shifts, you pay the tickets. Be there in no time.

That is one hefty safe.

1 minute ago, Flanigan Flats said:

Wondering how many people it would take to load it. It is only 4 or 5 hours away.

Well I ran into something like this a few years ago and I made a deal with the feed store up the road that had a forklift and they agreed to come down to my house and move the item off of the trailer and onto the floor of my shop. I paid them $100.00, they were happy and so was I. It looks like the safe has wheels so getting it out to where the forklift could take over may not be that hard.

I've got an antique bank vault/safe of similar size and weight.  Like J. D. Daily described above, mine weighs right about 4K lbs.  I've had it moved twice since I first purchased it in 1993.  The first time I used a wrecker service.  They brought a flatbed truck with a boom.  They simply slung it, picked it up and chained it down on the truck and away we go.  The second time, I used a different wrecker service.  They used a tilt bed car hauler.  I think they are called a roll off?  Anyway, they tilted the bed, winched it onto the bed, chained it down and off we go again.  Just thought I'd pass this along in case someone decides to look into moving the beast.

Colonel Shep, wow, haven't heard that name in a while.  Don't know if you remember or not, but we shot on a posse together at the Missouri State Match in, I'm guessing, around 2007 or 2008.  Glad to hear you're still out there!  Hope all is well with ya.

Titus

On January 21, 2019 at 7:08 PM, Michigan Slim said:

I'll go with ya if you want it. Drive in shifts, you pay the tickets. Be there in no time.

If'n ya need a third driver, lemme know. Got some experience, could probly cut down on yer elapsed time.......;)

9 hours ago, Hoot Hamilton said:

If'n ya need a third driver, lemme know. Got some experience, could probly cut down on yer elapsed time.......;)

Michigan highways are good training for that!

Howdy,

Very interesting problem.

Tow trucks move all sorts of things.

A friend just moved a Lycoming engine from California to Illinois.

I haven't heard the story yet.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Michigan highways are good training for that!

Ya said a mouthful right there Slim, but our new Governor said a few thousand times she was gonna "fix the damn roads".

We'll need a hefty trailer to get that puppy back to Indiana.

Interesting idea..........:huh:

23 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

You might check with a local safe sales company, they move safes all the time and have the knowledge and equipment. Worth a call.

Imis

THIS!!!  Even if all you have them do is load it onto your trailer.  Have another company unload it at your destination.

BTW if you have it loaded onto your trailer tie it down properly with chains and blocks.  You don't want it to come loose if you suddenly step on the brakes and end up in the back of your tow vehicle.

I have it's twin brother in my house.  Same price.  That is a Mosler Record Safe.  Record safes are on wheels.  You might want to take a long hard look on the inside.  In it's past, mine had a tear gas canister in case someone tried to open it.  
I got mine - and it's two brothers for the same price - Free - from a place I worked.  I had a local safe rigger move the three of them.  Cost me $500 to have them moved.  Sold the smallest - still a good rifle safe - for $500 and kept the other two.
One thing to keep in mind when you move it.  It has a glass plate covering the locking mechanism.  Called an auto relocker.  If the glass breaks the safe locks.  You'll need a Safe man to come and open it.

6 hours ago, Hoot Hamilton said:

Ya said a mouthful right there Slim, but our new Governor said a few thousand times she was gonna "fix the damn roads".

We'll need a hefty trailer to get that puppy back to Indiana.

Interesting idea..........:huh:

Our new Governor  was also a Granholm Crony .

You would have thought the people of Michigan would have learned that lesson the first time !

And Yes this would make a very nice Pistol safe .

I wish it was a lot closer to Michigan . 

You are going to need Four Men and Three Boys and a Heavy duty trailer to move it :D

Rooster  

Colonel Shep,

I had the privilege of meeting you at Powder Creek in Lenexa, KS about 20 years ago.  Glad you are still shooting!  Hope we might posse together someday.

On man,  I would love to have that.  It would take some planning and effort to move, but should be doable.  Dan, why did they build San Francisco so far away from South Carolina?  

1 minute ago, Blackface Charlie said:

And now I have access to a low boy trailer.   All I need is a forklift.   Anyone in the Sacramento area have a fork lift I can borrow??

See if there is an aggregate supply company, cement block company, feed store, etc. to help you out. You’d be surprised how many companies have forklifts in their operation.

I have to go to Alabama in the morning.  When I get back next week if the safe is still available I think I'll take it!   Is there people there who can help push it into a position to get a FL under it???

I'll be in touch

12 hours ago, Blackface Charlie said:

I have to go to Alabama in the morning.  When I get back next week if the safe is still available I think I'll take it!   Is there people there who can help push it into a position to get a FL under it???

I'll be in touch

Howdy Charlie, if you end up getting the safe video or take some picture's of the process so we can see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh Crap---Was gone a week and haven't been on here for two weeks.   I am completely swamped right now and no way I can get down there and deal with this.   This is a project that I want but just can't put it together right now

On 1/23/2019 at 7:56 AM, flightlessgreeb said:

Darn, Im right across the bay but theres no way that thing fits anywhere in my house haha

Me too! I'm right down the peninsula.

On 1/23/2019 at 8:56 AM, flightlessgreeb said:

Darn, Im right across the bay but theres no way that thing fits anywhere in my house haha

Hell, it big enough that you could just drop it in the yard and build a roof for it!

Archived