SASS Wire Forum

Campfire memories....

Chili Ron

Howdy,

The one thing l like is a nice campfire in the woods.

Only had a fireplace a couple times over the years.

So doing some cleaning I found a box of incense called Campfire Memories.

Its s o old it has a paper price tag of 4.95.

A little holder and a few sticks were left so I decided to fire one up.

YEP. That was the smell of a nice little campfire for sure.

With all the cold and snow  I soon got down the last one.

So I had a hard time getting any on the web.

Finally found a place and bought a few.

Triple Nickel Ranch if you are still reading.

A few odds and ends show on ebay from time to time.

Best thing is low calories and its not really smoking.

I wonder what a real fireplace costs....no don't tell me.

Best

CR

Hey pard, I'm must curious why you don't build a fire pit outside your house?  Or go camping more?  

I'm working two jobs AND working on a second master's degree (because everyone needs two, right?  But really, it's an Army thing).  I still have FIVE volunteer positions with Scouts and every once in a while get a chance to go out to the woods with them.  I'm mostly administrative anymore, but I find a way at least once or twice a year.

Howdy,

FUNNY you suggest that.

Last summer I put together a fire pit on WHEELS.

It was slow go but its done.

I just don't feel like going out in the sub zero today.

The boids are lucky I went out long nuff to leave em feed.

I have a cardinal who chirps at me when the feeder is empty.

He has me trained. How fun is that?????????????

Best

CR

Just the name of the thread got me reminiscing. So many of my best memories stem from being around a campfire. An otherwise strained relationship with my dad was almost always far better when a campfire in Kentucky was involved. Memories of an uncle I was close to and of friends, all departed too soon. Laughter, and solving the problems of the world over a few beers as we look at stars overhead, or waking up to coffee and the smell of woodsmoke as the fire crackled, returning heat to the body.

Just the words can bring back powerful memories. The aromas can bring back so much more. 

Sitting with my Pa at the cabin. 

Scouting when I taught them how to build a REAL fire....

Our monthly matches at Paradise Pass. (Add the smell of food grilling).

The State matches we've attended.

Ah yes. Great memories for sure.

I'm still into camping heavily at 70. Just got back yesterday evening from our annual Big Tent winter campout: a son-in-law and I twelve years ago bought a Cabelas Alaknak 12' x 20' outfitter's tent. The wood stove it came with wasn't big enough so we bought a Four Dog steel stove from the eponymous maker in Montana.

We go every year at least once for several days at a couple of sites where we can set up and XC ski in the immediate area, sometimes right out of the "front door". We take a passel of kids/ grandkids. We sleep in cots, including bunk cots, in toasty warmth after a day of skiing. Nothing like a crackling fire in a tent stove!

We do a couple of car-camp outings every summer with the extended family, and one daughter and I, in particular, back pack several times per summer. We have a great system where the gear is always ready to go, so we can go at the drop of a hat. We do one-night overnighters, occasionally two-nighters. We always hike in the National Forests, rather than the National Parks; the big reason is that you can have campfires in the backcountry here in the Cascades. But not in the Nat'l Parks... Nothing like a campfire!

6 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

working on a second master's degree (because everyone needs two, right?  But really, it's an Army thing). 

Because thearmy will pay for it but there is no use for a PhD?  Though the govt did pay for mine.

god for you getting the extra Ed credits though.

On ‎2019‎/‎01‎/‎22 at 1:47 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Because thearmy will pay for it but there is no use for a PhD?  Though the govt did pay for mine.

god for you getting the extra Ed credits though.

Yep, they paid for most of my bachelor's (ROTC scholarship after being enlisted), the vast majority of my first master's (Tuition Assistance program for those with over 10 years service), and now they are paying for my entire 2nd master's (US Army War College).  Plus I have the Post 9-11 GI Bill which I have transferred half to each of my two kids.  

So, yeah, after 25 years and counting, I figure it's ok to bilk the taxpayer for some education benefits.  

2 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

So, yeah, after 25 years and counting, I figure it's ok to bilk the taxpayer for some education benefits.  

You didn't "bilk" the taxpayer out of anything.  Those are programs that were 'ordaned' by Congress to attract and retain quality servicemen.  The Army seems to think you are one of those kind of guys.  Keep up the good work.

BTW, at 71 yrs old, I was still camping with the Boy Scouts until a couple of years ago.

Dr. O. R.

6 hours ago, Dr. O. R. Vet said:

BTW, at 71 yrs old, I was still camping with the Boy Scouts until a couple of years ago.

Dr. O. R.

Hey pard, have you thought about continuing to serve the organization?  Every council around is probably short of Unit Commissioners.  That's what I'm doing due to my crazy schedule; I can't commit to the calendar of one unit.  A Unit Commissioner's job is to help the adult leaders in several units.  I have a kid in a troop and another kid in a Pack so I find myself going on their activities when I can.

Some of my best memories were camping deep in the Canadian bush with my long time friend and his family. We went to high school together and he was my first martial arts instructor. Pat unfortunately did two combat tours in the jungle and was sadly one of those whose body came back but not his mind. If you remember Life Magazine many of the Vietnam photos were his. The photos he brought back he burned.

We spent many a boozy night sitting around that campfire talking for hours. He passed years ago one of the victims of agent orange.

I will always cherish those special nights 

Archived