SASS Wire Forum

Trailboss

Jackson Rose, SASS #45478

19 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

The webpage https://www.hodgdon.com/trail-boss/ for Tail Boss says so. 9 oz. and 2 lb. only.

That makes no sense to me:unsure:.  What could possibly be wrong with continuing the 5 pound container?

Just now, Dutch Wheeler said:

That makes no sense to me:unsure:.  What could possibly be wrong with continuing the 5 pound container?

Maybe the 5lb containers don't sell as well as the other choices.

Not really, just order more of the 2 lb containers, as Haz-Mat is per container,

up to 25 lbs/container. 

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Not really, just order more of the 2 lb containers, as Haz-Mat is per container,

up to 25 lbs/container. 

Nope-48lbs total weight covers the fee.......

https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/shipping-policy/

OLG

OK,  you  may be right.  When I order BP it always comes in 25 lb boxes. Never needed to buy more than that, not enough people here to split it with.

21 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How so:huh:?-HAZ-MAT fee covers 48 lbs total weight.

PVI ships primers and powder under 1 fee, if within the weight limit.

OLG

Yeah, I was thinkin' folks would be inclined to order more often, not simply more... see what "thinkin'" gets ya!!:rolleyes:

28 minutes ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

OK,  you  may be right.  When I order BP it always comes in 25 lb boxes. Never needed to buy more than that, not enough people here to split it with.

IIRC-5K packs of primers avg 12 lbs.

OLG

18 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

To be exempt form CA licensing & storage requirements for explosives the black powder possession limits are 25 lbs for retailers (requires license)* or 5 lbs for "others".  The limit for smokeless is 20 lbs for others.  See CA Health & Safety Code section 12001 (f) (1).

*The city, county, special district and county service areas providing fire protection shall require retailers in possession of black powder to notify fire authorities.

That's why I split it with other BP shooters, helps defray the cost of shipping and Haz-Mat.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/20/2019 at 8:59 PM, Deadshot Dan said:

Powder Valley is still listing the 5lb.

When this post first posted, PV had about 22 five pound kegs in stock, they are now down to only 5.

Going... going... almost gone!                             

(...not before I got some! :))

I contacted Hodgdon and they indicated the low volume of sales of 5# units didn't justify keeping specialized containers for a powder that didn't sell. Also stated the size of the bottles affected shipping efficiency. I thought the same size bottle was used for other more dense powders in 8# quantities. The low volume of 5# bottles may be because most brick & mortar local retail stores only stocked 9oz. bottles of Trail Boss. Except for the very first container of Trail Boss, I've always bought 5# bottles from various suppliers such as Graf & Sons and Powder Valley or purchased from vendors at various matches. The cost per pound varies greatly by volume. Checking an internet site, 9oz = $27.29/ lb., 2# = $26.33/lb. & 5# = $22.70/lb. I know TB is a special powder designed with CAS in mind and the sales volume may not match other powders but the answer of the container being special & causing problems with shipping sounds bogus.

Easy fix.  Use Bullseye, 8 lbs for $131 last week. Enough for about 17,500 38 sp rounds. Not temp sensitive, available,  cheap.  

4 hours ago, Keystone, SASS # 47578 said:

I contacted Hodgdon and they indicated the low volume of sales of 5# units didn't justify keeping specialized containers for a powder that didn't sell. Also stated the size of the bottles affected shipping efficiency. I thought the same size bottle was used for other more dense powders in 8# quantities. The low volume of 5# bottles may be because most brick & mortar local retail stores only stocked 9oz. bottles of Trail Boss. Except for the very first container of Trail Boss, I've always bought 5# bottles from various suppliers such as Graf & Sons and Powder Valley or purchased from vendors at various matches. The cost per pound varies greatly by volume. Checking an internet site, 9oz = $27.29/ lb., 2# = $26.33/lb. & 5# = $22.70/lb. I know TB is a special powder designed with CAS in mind and the sales volume may not match other powders but the answer of the container being special & causing problems with shipping sounds bogus.

I agree, the 5 lb Trail Boss container is the same as what they use for 8 pounders of other powders, and they ship 2 kegs per box :unsure:.

I guess I just bought my last containers of Trail Boss in 5 pound kegs!

On 2/20/2019 at 3:16 PM, Dutch Wheeler said:

When this post first posted, PV had about 22 five pound kegs in stock, they are now down to only 5.

Going... going... almost gone!                             

(...not before I got some! :))

PV had 4 left until few seconds ago when I placed an order for me and a couple of pards....now they're all gone:rolleyes:

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

Trail Boss is good but not cheap ,Unique does it all and can be found most anywhere. Why has cowboy shooting become so complicated keep it simple and spend time shooting . not chasing the next best whiz bang magical powder that might help you win.  :D :FlagAm:

49 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Trail Boss is good but not cheap ,Unique does it all and can be found most anywhere. Why has cowboy shooting become so complicated keep it simple and spend time shooting . not chasing the next best whiz bang magical powder that might help you win.  :D 

Trail Boss powder is not about winning.  It's about safety.  It's a very safe powder for those new to reloading, or those concerned about accidentally double-charging a case.  

Availability is a different story.  I haven't seen Unique in stores around here in a while.  At matches, our vendors sell Clean Shot, Red Dot, or Trail Boss.  

Most folks load with whatever powder they are comfortable with and meet their requirements.  Whatever that choice may be

20 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Trail Boss powder is not about winning.  It's about safety.  It's a very safe powder for those new to reloading, or those concerned about accidentally double-charging a case.  

Availability is a different story.  I haven't seen Unique in stores around here in a while.  At matches, our vendors sell Clean Shot, Red Dot, or Trail Boss.  

Most folks load with whatever powder they are comfortable with and meet their requirements.  Whatever that choice may be

I started reloading 2 years ago this month and have never used anything other than Trailboss.  My mentor advised me to use it because it's bulky enough so when I'm loading with my SDB I can easily verify by sight there's powder in the case at station #3 before I add the bullet so as to avoid having squibs.  I've now loaded over 25,000 rounds and I see no reason to switch to some other powder. 

27 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Very interesting and well meaning. Just follow SAAMI  ,and manufactures instructions along with common sense  and  pay attention.

Best wishes. :FlagAm:

7 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

I started reloading 2 years ago this month and have never used anything other than Trailboss.  My mentor advised me to use it because it's bulky enough so when I'm loading with my SDB I can easily verify by sight there's powder in the case at station #3 before I add the bullet so as to avoid having squibs.  I've now loaded over 25,000 rounds and I see no reason to switch to some other powder. 

SDB is a progressive press just add a powder check and you will be set free to use other less costly powders.

I have used several powders and use a progressive press.   I like to crimp and bullet seat in a different station, that means that bullet feeder and powder and sizer/decap occupy the rest.  That does not leave room on a 5 station then for a powder check.  Trailboss then is nice because almost no way to double charge (and it is a progressive). 

I also like how it fills bigger cases such as 45-70.

While not good for all things like 9mm, it is fairly versatile. 

The Hogdon site pretty much gives the recipe as well for unknown loads.  Put a bullet in and mark where it sits in the case.  Fill to that mark with Trailboss and that is considered maximum charge, 70% of that is considered starting.  Unless you compress the stuff that is pretty safe working with an unknown load.

8 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

SDB is a progressive press just add a powder check and you will be set free to use other less costly powders.

I'm just fine with what I'm doing now, and even if a powder check was available for the SDB (which I don't think is), I'd keep doing what I'm doing.  I added a goose-neck sewing machine lamp with a magnetic base that sits on the strong mount and shines right into the case to make it even easier to see the powder in there right as I'm seating the primer at station # 2.  Thanks anyway.

17 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

I'm just fine with what I'm doing now, and even if a powder check was available for the SDB (which I don't think is), I'd keep doing what I'm doing.  I added a goose-neck sewing machine lamp with a magnetic base that sits on the strong mount and shines right into the case to make it even easier to see the powder in there right as I'm seating the primer at station # 2.  Thanks anyway.

Stay safe and shoot straight.

Best wishes  :FlagAm:

1 hour ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

Stay safe and shoot straight.

Best wishes  :FlagAm:

Thanks and same to you! :):FlagAm:

Archived