SASS Wire Forum

45 Colt - Accurate Nitro 100 loads

Black Mike

During a match yesterday I was running the timer on my posse and I had a shooter who was shooting 45 Colt in both rifle and pistols.  The rifle rounds were fine for the most part but a lot of the pistol round sounded very light and very inconsistent. 

I talked to him and he told me he was loading 20 percent below the minimum load data. 

I used to have a problem loading light loads with Universal in the 45 Colt.  I had a lot of inconsistent rounds and was told that the powder volume being so low in a large case that the primer would flash over the powder and not get a good ignition.  I switched to Trail Boss and the problem disappeared.  I now shoot Black Powder only so the volume issue no longer exists.  Pack it in and shoot.

Could this be the problem with the Nitro 10?  I suggested changing powders but he has 5 lbs.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Sounds like  he needs to load 20% ABOVE the MINIMUM published load; unless you meant 20% below max, in which case I can't recommend anything other than switching powder.

Nope, he was below the minimum using 3.5 grains I as he told me.  That is way too low in my opinion. The 20 percent below I used in the OP was based on 5.1 grains min.  My math could have been better.   I would start him right in the middle range given I could see his bullets all the way to the target.

Way too low.   Inconsistent loads are the first sign.  Going even lower on charge, or colder temps, and squibs would be the next symptom to appear.

Get him back up to at least minimum recommended load.   Crimp firmly if not already.

.45 Colt super-light loads are very tricky to get right, and even more if you ignore published load recommendations.

Nitro 100 will work well, if he loads it correctly.  But it's not a common powder to try to load light with.    Clays or Red Dot are. 

Good luck, GJ

Wow, 3.5 is low, even with trailboss the lowest I got reliably was down in the 4.0 range before it started going inconsistent. I upped it to 4.3 +/- .1 and it's dead accurate to 25 yards.

He needs to work up the load to get to a consistent burn. That will probably still be under the published minimum but it will be closer to 4.5 I'd imagine.

Stopped by shooters house today armed with manufactures load data for Nitro 100. Shooter also called company and confirmed data. There are two sections for 45 Colt. Standard and high pressure. The standard range for 200 gr rnfp is 4.9 gr to 5.8 Gr. We loaded up twenty rounds at 5 gr  and hit the range. Good loads, consistent and dead on in pistol and rifle.

now he has about 300 rounds to pull apart. 

Problem solved for now. 

Archived