SASS Wire Forum

Dillon Charge Bar w/ Trail Boss

Duster Tom

34 minutes ago, Duster Tom said:

What is everyone else using?

Almost anything besides Trail Boss.

I use the large bar. Seems to work best with Trail Boss.

Irish Tom.

I load 5.6 grains of TB behind a 200 grain pill on an XL650.  I bought it new with the 45 Colt die set.  I believe it has the small charge bar.  The charge deviation I find is +/-0.1 grain.  I modified the charge bar by installing the micrometer kit from Uniquetek.  This enhancement saves a lot of time when changing charge weight or powder.   Not cheap but worth it in time saved not making ammo.

Just now, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Using the small one, no probs yet, but how do I keep powder from going everywhere? It's getting in the primer seat cup and deforming the primers.

When I used the regular one I was getting powder falling down after charging the case. Which led me to believe the regular bar was too small for 5.5 Gr. Of TB.

24 minutes ago, Jackson Rose, SASS #45478 said:

I use the standard for 38's large for 45's. If you are spilling powder you might be using too much or are to violent when indexing the shell plate.

I don't think either are the case, but I will be a little more gentle with my 5.5 gr. AND use the large bar. Thx

45 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Using the small one, no probs yet, but how do I keep powder from going everywhere? It's getting in the primer seat cup and deforming the primers.

Use large bar. Trust me.

I Use the Large charge bar.  I read when I started using TrailBoss powder  that IMR recommended  Dillon users use the large charge bar. 

Run one cartridge case through all four stages to determine when it spills.    My 550 will hang up slightly on 45 ACP cases when raising the handle after dropping powder. A shot of Clean Shot on the flaring portion of the powder drop tube fixes that for a while. 

I can't reliably drop more than 4.6 or TB  grains with the small charge bar but it's used on all but 45 Colt.

I use the large bar for any caliber that I'm loading with TB.  It's more consistent with the large bar vs the small bar, particularly in large cases like 45 colt and 44-40. 

I’ve had good results using the small charge bar to drop 3.5 grains of TB into 45 Cowboy Special cases, and the large charge bar to drop 6.2 grains of TB into 45 Colt cases. I have my Dillon 550 grounded and I keep used dryer sheets stuffed in the empty powder reservoirs when not in use. 

I'm just setting up my Dillon 550.  I'm new to the CAS, but one thing i heard from several shooters at our match was that they liked Trail Boss for 45 Colt.   I'm starting with a 5.5 grain load per the Hornady site.   I switched to the large powder bar, and  I weighed each powder charge, and noticed that it would vary between 5.5 and 5.7 grains.  Is that a typical variance?  Or do I have some calibration left to do?

Thanks for the help!

7 hours ago, Gila Gus said:

I'm just setting up my Dillon 550.  I'm new to the CAS, but one thing i heard from several shooters at our match was that they liked Trail Boss for 45 Colt.   I'm starting with a 5.5 grain load per the Hornady site.   I switched to the large powder bar, and  I weighed each powder charge, and noticed that it would vary between 5.5 and 5.7 grains.  Is that a typical variance?  Or do I have some calibration left to do?

Thanks for the help!

I'd double check your setting, usually you'll get +/- .1 gr.  That being said I'd lower the setting just a tick and see how averages over 10-20 shells.  JMHO

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Tombstone Shootist1 said:

Dillon 550B, using the small bar loading 6.4 - 6.5 gr for 45LC.  Took a while to get it to meter correctly, but once it settled in, the loads are pretty consistent and haven't had any problems loading Trail Boss.

Just curious, what's your bullet weight?

12 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

How come such a beefy load for dingin' steel plates?

Good question.  I'm using 5.6 with 200 gr RNFP and that's in both pistol and rifle.

Archived