SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone used a smoke machine

Rootin Tootin

I'm thinking about a stage, or side match, to simulate Black Powder shooting. I want to use a smoke machine like you would see at a concert.  Dry ice is not possible and anything with fire or major heat is prohibited. So a smoke generator is it.  It needs to have a time out option setting and a ability to adjust the smoke output

Has anybody out there used one in any venue. If so what machine did you use..…….  We have power available.

I realize this idea is out there, so please be gentle on your feedback.

Thanks   RT

I've used many in my Navy career to simulate smoke inside a ship.  We almost always had a suitcase-style machine,

The things to keep in mind with smoke machines are the smoke output, warm-up time, weight and size.

This link will compare some smoke machines for an idea.

Most smoke machines in the lower price points simply have a smoke on/smoke off feature, sometimes with a remote.  Once the machine is warm it will usually start producing smoke very quickly after the smoke on button is pushed.

The smoke can be an irritant to some people.  Most smoke fluid is made of a combination of water and glycol.

If using it indoors or in a facade that doesn't have a lot of wind then a lower capacity unit can be used.

If using outdoors and/or where strong winds are present, even a high volume unit may not produce enough smoke to get the effect you want.

The smoke machines I've used remain cool to the touch except in the area around the nozzle.

Most "smoke" machines are really producing steam!  We use one in our act when we play fraternity/sorority gigs.  Our machine makes copious amounts of "smoke" and uses a foot switch to activate it.  Don't recall the brand and the label has long since disappeared.  They are available for rent from party stores and performance rentals.  Some people will experience a little irritation from the odor of the steam. I sometimes bothers me when I get too much of it.

Check with your local fire Department. Nearly all have one or access to one for training. I've used many over the years for fire service training but don't have one now. They can be irritating to the sensitive.

56 minutes ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

I had a old Chevy Vega that proved to be quite a Smoke machine.

I had a very low mileage 1984 Laser that had a VW 4 cylinder turbo'd engine.  The vehicle had been salvaged by my late father in-law (his hobby) and was given use to function as a car for use by our teenage children.  I replaced the oil before I allowed my son to transport himself and friends to Great America.  When he got home he said that when idling a white cloud formed behind the car.  The spark plugs were dry; so, I assumed the turbo shaft oil seal on the hot side had been damaged in the collision.  P.S. It only had visible smoke when idling.

Is this just for one-time use? You may be able to borrow one from a local organization (Jaycees, etc) that do haunted houses around Halloween. Or a local theater group. Or a high school/community college drama club that puts on plays.

I used one from a Halloween store years ago when the kids were around. If I can find it, it is yours to use.

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

If using it indoors or in a facade that doesn't have a lot of wind then a lower capacity unit can be used.

If using outdoors and/or where strong winds are present, even a high volume unit may not produce enough smoke to get the effect you want.

This.  

To keep it low you’ll need a chiller and even then even a little wind will blow it away pretty quick.  A shooting bay may be enough shelter to maybe keep it around.  

You’ll need a bign’ to fill a bay.  It’d be expensive.  Someone mentioned maybe renting a machine from one of the folks that put on a haunted house.  That’s a good idea.  Another place would be an event rental company.  They might have one too.

The concept sounds fun!

5 hours ago, Rootin Tootin said:

I'm thinking about a stage, or side match, to simulate Black Powder shooting.

Cool idea, hoss!  If you have a stage inside a building facade, you could really replicate a shootout in a saloon!  I've always thought it would be fun to do a BP only shoot in a three-sided building, to really impress what that would be like.  Your idea sounds much more agreeable to more people, though, and more controllable.  

Be curious to hear the proceeds of your idea!

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

4 hours ago, Texas jack Black SASS#9362 said:

I had a old Chevy Vega that proved to be quite a Smoke machine.

I was going to recommend a newer Dodge!

Thanks for all the recommendations...…..  Some are do-able while others are as far out as my smoke machine idea....  

Thank you to all...…  I'll post what my final plan and outcome eventually turn out to be.....  Thanks again   RT

Hey RT

I have used a smoke machine on a stage durring our Halloween shoot, I put it down range in a barrel, it was fun, some folk did not like the smell from the smoke, it smells better then black,

This is the one I have, it's a professional one

I can turn it on one time outside and everyone in town thanks my house is on fire

I have never tried but you should able to run PVC and drill hoses for the smoke to come out

Let me know if you want to burrow it

Billy The Avenger 

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Being in Colorado...I would think a smoke machine would be a bad idea...

:o

Yeah, but it's legal now!:lol:

or,,,, load up a bunch of bp blank shotshells and use them as the starter

Well, I'll play too!

My old Uncle Joe. WWI veteran. Smoked over 100 Dutch Masters cigars a month. His living room looked like you walked into a BP match. If I wore the same jacket to school kids knew all week where I went on Sunday. RIP Uncle Joe.

Then my dad had an interesting friend back in the late 50's. He became obsessed with his car being able to put out a smoke screen (no idea why). He finally rigged up a small fuel tank from a lawn mower that ran into his car's exhaust manifold. Had a switch/lever in the car to open the tank valve. Tank was filled with glycerin from the drug store. Smoke was reportedly very thick and heavy. Something to do in a small town, I suppose.

Thanks Billy. That's what I want  I sent you my email. If you send me a pm I'll also send you my number so we can talk operational details.  Thanks...RT

If you want to keep the fog from lifting away too quick you may want a fog chiller.  I found this one.  Looks pretty cheap and easy.  Only thing I wonder is if it'll keep the fog too low.  Outside where there's air movement it may be less likely to stick to the ground.  Maybe less water bottles to mildly chill it?  

14 minutes ago, Half Deaf Hoss Deveraux said:

If you want to keep the fog from lifting away too quick you may want a fog chiller.  I found this one.  Looks pretty cheap and easy.  Only thing I wonder is if it'll keep the fog too low.  Outside where there's air movement it may be less likely to stick to the ground.  Maybe less water bottles to mildly chill it?  

I know how to do  that.  I'll have a few black powder shooter shoot in the rain, that'll keep the smoke down to the ground.:D

Archived