SASS Wire Forum

Repurposed gun cart

Ramblin Rob

I started shooting CAS about 6 months ago.  The pards that I shoot with offered me a gun cart to use that belonged to someone that no longer shoots with the group.  It was red, white and blue in color (very patriotic) and worked great, although was heavy.  I really appreciate the kindness and generosity of the folks that I shoot with.  

This past week, my wife and I changed the appearance of the cart.  We also lightened the total weight a lot.  We tried to use a paint remover to take the finish down to bare wood, but there was too much paint involved.  So I took the power sander and went to work.  We decided to spray paint the cart a solid color (brown), and then my wife used stain to streak up the finish to give it a real wood appearance.  It turned out really great.  I bought some parts/pieces and added them too make the cart more functional and easier to take down and load into the truck.  All total we have $51.91 invested in the improvement project.  I will try to post some pictures.

The red area in the pic was removed to reduce weight.  The entire lower "box" was red.  The uprights were white.  The upper accessory box was blue.  Red, white and blue.  I added a wooden ammo box from Wally World.

IMG_20190119_120619864.jpg

IMG_20190119_120727331.jpg

I like it! Looks good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Looks great, remember- weight reduction is your friend. My first cart weighed 56 # empty, now not so much.

Imis

I removed some more wood from the cart (from the uprights).  Total weight reduction is between 6-7 pounds.  Much easier to lift into the back of the truck.

Archived