SASS Wire Forum

skb query

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

I've got a skb 200,  with mech triggers by roughneck rod,,,

today,, after two shots it quit,,,  I cud hear two light clicks, but no firing pin action,,    so, this evening I took it apart,,  first time ever,,, no dirt in it,,, and after just playing with it, it starting working properly again,,,   any ideas on what could have caused the issue?

Well, I will chime in with my known problems from my SKB'S.  Like your problem, they can go away.....for a little while.  Broken springs, broken firing pin, can all hide for awhile and then reappear.  Thanks to Fast Eddie, he searches, til he finds that problem and fixes it.

If you load your own shotgun shells, you may have had one that wasn't completely closed.  If a piece of shot falls out of the shell and rolls down into the action, that little piece of shot will roll around for months looking for just the right spot to get wedged.  

So if I have this right the first firing pin dropped and the mechanical switched over and dropped the second (since you said you heard two clicks) but the gun didn't fire? Now that you took it apart it's working again.

I know the mechanical selector is very susceptible to dirt/and or lack of lubrication. Even how hard you tighten the stock can play a role sometimes. 

If it clicks and clicks again the mech trigger is working. If it clicks & no boom it's a weak spring, something like dirt slowing the strike down or making it stick or a weak spring, primers not fully seated etc.

Even the primer brand can be an issue on some guns (and I wish I didn't know this first hand) but I have a SKB that will not fire Federal 100% of the time because they sit lower in the hull but it shoots Winchester 100% of the time. 

I have been told the win's are softer and I'm not sure but you can see they sit flatter and higher in the hull if you hold them side by side. 

Hope that helps some. 

6 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

So if I have this right the first firing pin dropped and the mechanical switched over and dropped the second (since you said you heard two clicks) but the gun didn't fire? Now that you took it apart it's working again.

I know the mechanical selector is very susceptible to dirt/and or lack of lubrication. Even how hard you tighten the stock can play a role sometimes. 

If it clicks and clicks again the mech trigger is working. If it clicks & no boom it's a weak spring, something like dirt slowing the strike down or making it stick or a weak spring, primers not fully seated etc.

Even the primer brand can be an issue on some guns (and I wish I didn't know this first hand) but I have a SKB that will not fire Federal 100% of the time because they sit lower in the hull but it shoots Winchester 100% of the time. 

I have been told the win's are softer and I'm not sure but you can see they sit flatter and higher in the hull if you hold them side by side. 

Hope that helps some. 

Sharyn has been experiencing that issue with her SKB.  Mine on the other hand goes boom with any kind of shell.

Archived