SASS Wire Forum

Firelands-The Beginning comments here only please!

Please post your comments here and refrain from injecting outside material into the story.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

More posts up, folks, and a new character has stepped on stage!

If nothing else, I'm boosting my post count exponentially! :D

I had a squad partner, Fredericka.

Good steady partner she was, I could not ask for better.

She retired, became mayor, lived a quiet life and I moved to the Yankee North with my wife because there was no more work to be had in Athens County.

Fredericka and I kept in touch and just for grinskis and gigglers, I'd got to printing out Firelands and sending to her.

Freddie kept it hid as long as she could, but she had cancer, and she told me at one point that nights were the worst for her, knowing there was nothing to be done to keep her from an unwanted trip to the Valley:  the night would close around her and she could almost hear the black-burlap whisper of the Reaper's robe as he walked around her house, patiently waiting.

She said she'd pick up my printouts of Firelands.

She said as she read, she could hear the saloon piano, see the drape of the ladies' gowns; she could feel the scared little girl's hand in hers, she felt Duzy's derringer bark and jump in her hand when she punched Bert's ticket, she heard boot heels loud and hollow sounding on warped boardwalk planks, she could hear trace-chains and hoofbeats on the street and smell cigarette smoke and beer and unwashed bodies as cards were dealt and coin was chucked into the poker pot.

Firelands was catharsis for its writers, it was relief for at least this one reader, it was a lesson to me that we never know the good that we do.

It dawned on me earlier today that if I don't keep posting the Firelands story I'm going to still be doing it sometime next century. More posts up, folks.

Oh my good heavens, I've been alternately leaning forward, devouring the words on the screen, leaning back and howling with laughter and then sitting here with my jaw bone swingin' in the wind with absolute amazement!

I looked up at my amused wife and said "I wrote that?"

I forgot to warn you fine folks that some of the posts I'm putting up for others in the Firelands story could be considered rated R...

• 3 weeks later...

Just as a FYI, folks, I will be away from my computer next week visiting my granddaughters so Firelands will be on hiatus beginning next Monday afternoon. Will be back the following Monday...

I want to thank you for posting Firelands Charlie.  I first learned of it from Linn Keller after reading The Sheriff's Son and am enjoying it immensely, although it took me a bit to get caught up.

I find that stories like this one where several writers are feeding off each other makes for a fun and very entertaining tale.  Thank you again for taking the time to post it.

• 1 month later...

Hey, y'all, in case you're wondering, the story of Firelands isn't over yet, I've just been away from my computer for a while, and will be again starting tomorrow. I'll get some posts up as soon as possible. Sorry for the delay...

• 4 weeks later...

Been running back and forth to Nevada helping my son and daughter in law with cow stuff, but I'm back for a few days now and I'll try to get some more of Firelands posted...

• 2 months later...

As you may have noticed, Firelands is back at least for a short stint. I won't guarantee how long I'll be able to keep posting this time around. Life tends to get busy on pretty short notice around here... :D

Couldn't sleep.
Re-reading memories that run far deeper than the story.

Amazing the number of ghosts that walk through that tale!

Archived