SASS Wire Forum

Shoot the Dead Man's Gun

Waimea

"SHOOT THE DEAD MAN'S GUN" is the line for Stage 5 in Punta Gorda FL tomorrow.

Round count will be 10 rifle 15 pistol and 4+ shotgun.

I won't go through the whole stage but in the end the shooter has the choice of staging a third pistol either loaded or unloaded. If they choose unloaded they must load the pistol on the clock and shoot five shots on any two targets. Choosing the unloaded option gets a 15 second bonus.

The third pistol will be provided as will the ammo.

Thoughts?

Have you timed yourself or anyone else on a 5 round reload (even tho it’s not a reload) to see if there is really a benefit to doing it that way?  

34 minutes ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Have you timed yourself or anyone else on a 5 round reload (even tho it’s not a reload) to see if there is really a benefit to doing it that way?  

Nope, some will be faster,  some slower.

I'm betting almost everyone will try it.

34 minutes ago, Griff said:

:D I just know I can't get to Punta Gorda, FL by tomorrow... 

Too bad, I will get a refund on your Christmas present. The Cadillac dealer isn't gonna be happy though.:lol:

30 minutes ago, Irish-Pat said:

May I bring my scholfield?

Sure but you can't use it on this stage.:lol:

Just kidding. You can.

9 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Dang it! neither can I. :D

Would be a blast with C&B revolvers

Loading on the clock would just be capping. Might beat the Schofield.:lol:

Thinking outside the box. I like it. 40% will like it, 40% will not, 20% just won't give s, damn one way or the other. 

Shot a match this fall with a 5 round reload, I dont think anyone was able to unload, reload and shoot 5 rounds on target in less than 15 seconds. Sounds like fun to me though and since everyone does the same thing should not be a problem. I would probably bring an extra gun loaded if it was allowed if you are shooting for speed, if you are wanting to play old school, unload that first pistol, hide behind something and reload like they did in the movies. Safely of course, maintaining muzzle direction and all the other rules that keep us from doing something really dumb.

ok,,, I think everyone tried the full reload,, I was fastest,  timing from the last shot from shotgun to last shot from reloaded pistol, at 20 seconds..  it was fun,, but at my fastest time of 48 seconds,,, it was a very long stage, fortunately there was only one posse.

you had to remove empties from the third revolver too...

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

ok,,, I think everyone tried the full reload,, I was fastest,  timing from the last shot from shotgun to last shot from reloaded pistol, at 20 seconds..  it was fun,, but at my fastest time of 48 seconds,,, it was a very long stage, fortunately there was only one posse.

you had to remove empties from the third revolver too...

One guy shot a loaded gun, which was an option.

30 seconds would have been a more accurate, offsetting bonus.

Also, I made it the 5th stage. 1st or 2nd would have been much better.

I set up a barrier to simulate hiding behind a wall while reloading the dead man's gun.

Also laid out clothes, my own jeans, shirt and extra cowboy hat, to simulate a body. A very dry, decomposed body.

For the most part it was a success. Not too much whining. But I would NEVER do it at a big match.

6 minutes ago, Waimea said:

I set up a barrier to simulate hiding behind a wall while reloading the dead man's gun.

Also laid out clothes, my own jeans, shirt and extra cowboy hat, to simulate a body. ...

Waimea,

Would you mind if I plagiarize your idea?  (After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.)  I know where there are two fully clothed bodies willing to serve this purpose.

10 hours ago, Jackalope said:

Waimea,

Would you mind if I plagiarize your idea?  (After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.)  I know where there are two fully clothed bodies willing to serve this purpose.

Of course. I'm flattered.:lol:

The options here were:

1. Unload and shoot the provided gun and ammo. Bonus.

2. Reload one of your own pistols. Bonus.

3. Shoot a staged loaded gun. No bonus.

Bonus was awarded for the reload.

Misses with the 3rd pistol counted as regular misses.

And like I said I would change the bonus to at least 20 seconds.

Waimea

Archived