SASS Wire Forum

Titewad and 7/8 ounce 12 gauge loads?

Has anyone got a good CAS load figured out using Titewad and 7/8 ounces of shot? I got a keg of Titewad for what I thought was a good price ($2 less a pound than Clays or Red Dot) and I'm looking for data. Hodgdon's website starts at 1250 fps, and that's a bit heavy for CAS knockdowns. Anyone done any experimenting with Titewad?

Thanks!

I got this load from another cowboy a couple years back. 13 grains Titewad with gray Claybuster in AA Hull. It is a nice soft load and it should handle all knockdowns. The wife likes them.

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

... my mistake 

Call Hodgdon for help with unpublished loads.

I emailed them and all I got was a recommendation to switch to a powder that doesn’t exist in any of the stores that I’ve been In lately.

But thanks!

9 hours ago, John Boy said:

Thread from Shotgun World for 7/8 oz shot & Titewad ... https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=180158

2 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I got this load from another cowboy a couple years back. 13 grains Titewad with gray Claybuster in AA Hull. It is a nice soft load and it should handle all knockdowns. The wife likes them.

Thanks!

Downloading a shell is more complex than uploading one.

Remember that Speed and Shot Weight = Energy to knock down a target. The 1250 fps  speed with 7/8oz is not the same recoil energy as with 1 1/8 as you know. I would slowly lower the charge from the listed recipe and monitor the adverse effects of a light load, not just the fps.

I have a very light Cimarron 1889 where even a Remm STS is too much. I went with Alliant Ultra Lite after my other powders failed under a 1 oz load. You may consider keeping the shot weight up as you lower the powder charge. A heavier shot load takes longer to get going, giving more time to burn powder completely and cleaner. The added weight does not effect recoil as much as changing the powder charge.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:46 AM, Sixgun Seamus said:

So I worked my way down to that load and I think it’s gonna be a good one. Good crimp on the shells and it takes down my shotgun targets at 10 yards with authority.

Thanks!

Archived