SASS Wire Forum

New 1872 Open Top

Major Wemyss

Just got my new Cimarron 1872 Navy Open Top in .44 cal ( .44 special, .44 Colt, and .44 Russian), from CTD.  I let my SASS membership lapse as I couldn't find any shoots around here (Panama City, FL), but I think a club has shoots about an hour or so from here so will rejoin soon.

Been wanting an Open Top for a while, just love the looks.

FWIW There are 4 clubs currently shooting in your area.  Panhandle Cattle Company shoots in Chipley on the 4th Saturday, Panhandle Cowboys shoot in Cantonment (north of Pensacola) on the 2nd Sunday, Red Hills Rangers shoot on the 3rd Saturday in Midway (west of Tallahassee) & Big Bend Bushwhackers shoot on the 3rd Saturday in Woodville (south of Tallahassee).  PM me your e-mail address & I can have you added to all of their mailing lists.

Holler

You will love the Open Tops .

i shoot the same guns in 44 specials along with a Cimarron 1866 in 44 special.

This setup +  black powder = lost of fun .

Rooster IMG_20180303_151035_748.thumb.jpg.33676764e3bca82fa78922a5521dafad.jpg

Yea I got a pair too,..same cal shoot 44 Russian in black, just love 'em.

put some of Slicks sure hit sights on mine and reshape the hammers, Boomstick an action job and they're so smooth and light.

IMG_2126.JPG

IMG_2127.JPG

1 minute ago, Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L said:

I just wish they made them in 38-40.....I wonder if a 38 special could be re-chambered and bored out?

With enough $$$$ I'm sure.

I know a guy that rechambers the 44 Colt/Russian to 44-40.  Probably be easier to get a .44 and sleeve the barrel to make .40 caliber, then cut the chamber to 38-40. 

Black powder: the ONLY way to shoot an open top revolver!  

. . . or, in my opinion, ANY "old west" revolver, but then again, I grew up in this cult . . . 

Nice pieces, amigos!  Y'all should be proud!  Major, a big CONGRATS on your acquisition!  No doubt you'll love it!

Keep your (black) powder dry,

Wild Ben

Two in 45Colt...with custom grips...added some "grain" and staining to get a "somewhat" look of aged ivoryB) Slicked up by Boothill Bandit and hammers lowered by Ol#4!

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

I'm a fan of open tops, prefer to shoot them than any other six gun.  The vertical hammer spur is the only feature that detracts from an otherwise perfect revolver.  Jackeroo and Lucky L, What's the approximate cost to have hammers reshaped?

15 minutes ago, Grouchy Spike said:

I'm a fan of open tops, prefer to shoot them than any other six gun.  The vertical hammer spur is the only feature that detracts from an otherwise perfect revolver.  Jackeroo and Lucky L, What's the approximate cost to have hammers reshaped?

Sent ya a PM

Archived