SASS Wire Forum

drew1324

My uncle recently gave this revolver to me. It does not have any brand name but it does have "508" stamped on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the rack and pinion. The stamp on the side of the barrel reads, "Black powder only Cal .44 Made in Italy". Is anyone here familiar with these no names and if they are even any good to shoot?

picture_2019_1_17_19_59_14_769.jpg

picture_2019_1_17_19_59_29_412.jpg

picture_2019_1_17_20_0_9_758.jpg

picture_2019_1_17_20_2_37_118.jpg

picture_2019_1_17_20_3_2_513.jpg

picture_2019_1_17_20_3_18_132.jpg

picture_2019_1_17_20_4_0_786.jpg

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Looks like in pretty darn good shape!;)

Is the cylinder bolt supposed to be worn like it is? He said that he never even fired it. (Sorry, this is the first black powder revolver I've ever worked with)

3 minutes ago, drew1324 said:

Is the cylinder bolt supposed to be worn like it is? He said that he never even fired it. (Sorry, this is the first black powder revolver I've ever worked with)

I don't know! I googled it and came up with squat!:o  My guess is it's a Armi San Marco???

I have one that looks remarkably similar and I did spend an evening doing research end even figured out who made it. And then I forgot. Still, it shoots fine and confuses the hell out of the tactical boys down at the indoor range. I paid a hundred bucks for it and that’s what the internet seems to think it’s worth. I wouldn’t sell it for twice that though. Run it. For the price you paid you can’t hurt it.

Looks like an old Armi San Marco (ASM) that my father has, so ASM would be my first guess.  CVA imported a lot of them - brass frame, navy grip, army cylinder and barrel.  The bolt stop doesn't look too worn to me, but some of the Italian replicas (e.g., ASM) often used soft metal, and the timing wasn't always perfect.  So, even if your uncle never shot it, but just spun the cylinder and handled it regularly, that may contribute to some wear.

In good condition, they are fine to shoot.  You MUST, of course, use blackpowder, and the brass frame can't accommodate a conversion cylinder.  Be sure you use the proper fitting caps, as well; some of these guns use #10, some #11.  Just try some of each and see which stays on better - makes all the difference!

Enjoy your new revolver! 

Keep your powder dry,

Wild Ben

20 hours ago, drew1324 said:

My uncle recently gave this revolver to me. It does not have any brand name but it does have "508" stamped on the bottom of the barrel just in front of the rack and pinion. The stamp on the side of the barrel reads, "Black powder only Cal .44 Made in Italy". Is anyone here familiar with these no names and if they are even any good to shoot?

picture_2019_1_17_20_3_2_513.jpg

You'll need to replace the two stabilizing pins that are missing from the front of the frame...  The wedge alone isn't enough to keep everything in alignment during firing.

Looks like my old CVA. Was actually a daily carry gun for a while. Still have it, still shoot it, About 20g of black and a 454 ball, Now caps, I use #11 Remington and squeeze the body  ever so slightly to get it tight, #10's stick on the nipples along with too much pressure to put on. By brass frame is still going strong after 25 years, a lot of that was with a max load of 25G. When my first hand spring broke, I replaced it with a SAA hand spring from a local gunsmith, only part ive ever replaced.

Archived