SASS Wire Forum

A BAR walks into a couple Germans...

Awesome weapon.  My Father carried a BAR in North Africa in WWII before volunteering for the Army Air Corps as a B-17 waist gunner.  He liked the BAR, except for the fact that is attracted enemy fire.  Thanks for posting!

PITA to reassemble, but an effective squad auto rifle. I felt sorry for those little ARVNS and CIDG troops that had to carry them.

I thought there'd be a joke in here somewhere, "A couple of Germans walk into a BAR and say..." (What's German for "Oh darn?)" or; A BAR walks into a bar full of Germans and says "Rat-a-tat-tat-tat". Or something like that. 

48 minutes ago, Sloe Moe said:

I thought there'd be a joke in here somewhere, "A couple of Germans walk into a BAR and say..." (What's German for "Oh darn?)" or; A BAR walks into a bar full of Germans and says "Rat-a-tat-tat-tat". Or something like that. 

NOW there is!

1 hour ago, Sloe Moe said:

Like this?

70EBC460-FDE1-48E4-AFFC-F83141A1B86D.jpeg

Here's a sort of irrelevant gripe about Browning. Browning calls its semi-auto hunting rifle, made now for 50 years, a "BAR". But of course it's not a BAR, it's a fine semi-auto non-military rifle that theY call the BAR for marketing only.

I only bring it up because I just bought one; very nice. But the confusion when you talk about them is obvious. Marketing spin just never ends. Now that I own a 'BAR', am I supposed to feel like I own a BAR?

16 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Here's a sort of irrelevant gripe about Browning. Browning calls its semi-auto hunting rifle, made now for 50 years, a "BAR". But of course it's not a BAR, it's a fine semi-auto non-military rifle that theY call the BAR for marketing only.

I only bring it up because I just bought one; very nice. But the confusion when you talk about them is obvious. Marketing spin just never ends. Now that I own a 'BAR', am I supposed to feel like I own a BAR?

Because BS-AR was not a good marketing name. “Hey, I just bought me a bizarre rifle”. :D

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Actually, no. An assault rifle uses a "medium" cartridge. This is a light machine gun. Full-power cartridge.

Actually it’s an automatic rifle, or squad automatic weapon. A light machine gun uses a rifle cartridge but is crew served, e.g. MG 34, BREN, M1919, Type99 Nambu.

21 hours ago, Sagebrush Burns, SASS # 14226 said:

between the wars historical note:  Bonnie and Clyde used BARs, not Thompsons.

Clyde called his a scatter gun, because it made the cops scatter when he fired it.

71D70CC8-3E12-4453-ABE3-B52231960EC6.jpeg

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:47 PM, Sloe Moe said:

They walked in but they didn't walk out.

When I was in High School ROTC, they gave the BAR to the wise guys to carry - 21.5 puds if I remember.  I carried it 4 years.  When I went to ROTC jr/sr training, I got it or the 1919 - heavy as all get out.   Absolutely loved both when firing however.  The trick was to be able to hold the trigger for three round bursts.  I saw them in VN along with Thompsons...another heavy firearm. 

ARVNs used the Thompsons.   Some had Carbines and some had M1 Garands.

STL Suomi

Here is my BAR 1918A3 it has a semi auto receiver and trigger group by Ohio Ordnance Works and everything else is USGI from a 1918A2.  Already replaced the none USGI leather sling with a real BAR length web sling.  Also replaced the right leg of the bipod with the correct parts (it came with two left legs).  Have not got to shoot it yet.

Scout

IMG_9094.JPG

IMG_9100.JPG

IMG_9134.JPG

Archived