SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 Rifle .44.40 preferred loads

Lawman Mays

My main match rifle is a Uberti 1873, in .44-40, 20 inch barrel, slicked up and short stroked by Cody Conagher. When I started this sport I was using 7 grains of Unique Powder. I quickly went down to 6.5, then 6.2, and now I'm at 6.0 grains. Does anyone load any lighter than 6  grains of Unique for this rife in .44-40? I want to go as light as possible without running the risk of a squib round.

I also use Tite Group. I think I'm at 5 grains for that powder.

I use 5.3 gr. of promo in my 44-40 carbine and hand guns.  I called Alliant about this question and they suggested the load.

What weight bullet are you using? 

Why do you want to go so light a load with the rifle? 

The last Unique I used was 7 grains under 180 gr RNFP.

I've started using Winchester 231 for everything smokeless lately.

I'm using a 200 Grain RNFP bullet. I want a light load to reduce recoil.  When I practice dry firing with snap caps, I can go really fast and stay on target, but when I'm shooting live rounds, the barrel seems to move around a lot. Some of it is working the lever. That will move the barrel somewhat by itself. I know I have to keep the rife tight to my shoulder to reduce movement, but if the load is light with little or no recoil, it seems to work better.

IMO, you'll notice a more marked drop in recoil going to a lighter bullet, vs. simply reducing velocity.  It's takes more uummpphh to start the heavier load moving... And for every "action", there's an equal, and opposite reaction.

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

IMO, you'll notice a more marked drop in recoil going to a lighter bullet

Griff, I hadn't thought of this. Thanks.

Of course you could just go to 180 gr bullet and Goex FFg. I promise you won't really notice the barrel moving around on the target...

Of course you won't be able to see the target for a second or two either...

I think you'll be faster working on technique instead of chasing less recoil. Move he rifle as much toward your chest as you can and off your shoulder.

LM, you’ll decrease your stage times more working on transitions. The fraction of a second you might save playing with powder charges may not help all that much.  

Ymmv

Gringo

35 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Help me here? The shooter asked about Unique and 44-40. And gets answers using other smokeless powders and BP. How is that answering his question?

Ike

Why Ike... how can you not discern their intent.  It's like all the queries about bullets... powders, guns, reloading presses, and nearly every-other-dang-thing, where nearly every poster will respond with what they bought... and attempt to justify said purchase to the shooting world in general, and SASS Wire in particular.  In the hopes that others will validate their choice, by chiming in that they got snookered by the same sales gimmick.  I'm not nearly as cynical as that sounds... I'm far more so!^_^

1 hour ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Help me here? The shooter asked about Unique and 44-40. And gets answers using other smokeless powders and BP. How is that answering his question?

Ike

In my defense I did tell him how much Unique I used. 

17 hours ago, Griff said:

IMO, you'll notice a more marked drop in recoil going to a lighter bullet, vs. simply reducing velocity.  It's takes more uummpphh to start the heavier load moving... And for every "action", there's an equal, and opposite reaction.

+1 and they get down range faster and they cost less too. 

Have used 6 gr of Unique and 200 gr. RNFP that I mold and size myself for many years without issue. Used in handguns and rifle.....very mild, very accurate. See no reason to change what works so VERY well for me.

Bugler

Howdy

My standard Smokeless load for 44-40 is 7.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain bullet.

Used it for a couple of years in a Model 1892 before switching over to Black Powder.

In a rifle, recoil was never a problem, although I will be the first to admit that I am usually the slowest shooter on the posse.

I won't mention that my current load is about 2.3CC of Schuetzen FFg under a Big Lube Mav-Dutchman 200 grain bullet. It probably recoils a bit, but I don't notice with my Henry, which weighs about a pound more than a regular 24" 1873. The cloud of smoke usually slows me down enough that I don't notice if the barrel is moving.

I would definitely CAUTION AGAINST loading less than 6.0 gr. Unique or Universal behind a 200 gr bullet or lighter, in .44-40 or .45LC.  And with a load that light (and most others, too) use a firm roll crimp.  Any lighter loads and I would switch to either W231/HP38 (same powder, different brand) or Trail Boss, or BP or BP substitutes.

I have dabbled in the 44-40 rifle. I used LEE mold 429-200-RF, cast with a lead alloy that is @ app 15 BHN. I also used a 427666, but the undersized bullets were not accurate in my rifles.

I had a '94 Winchester commemorative, a "92 from the 20's, and a Rossi with a 24" octagon barrel. 

With Unique, 9.5 gr is a charm, accurate and very consistent. (it is close to max, max, or over max depending on whose rifle data you look at) It is still legal for CAS, but not by much. Unfortunately it is a bit too powerful for the targets at our club. It is in all likelihood not a '73 load either.  Attempts to run less powder were met with inaccuracy and erratic ignition. I think I was able to run Unique down to about 7.5 grains before accuracy went completely south.

A much better load was with 5.5 grains of Red Dot. It is a recommended powder from Alliant. It worked well in a 1:38 shallow rifled worn out vintage '92, in the 1:20 new barrel of the Rossi and in the '94 Winchester. 

I don't have any 44-40 firearms at this time, but if another one were to come my way, I'd test it with the Red Dot load. 

Interestingly, the Winchester 44-40 225 gr factory load is pretty decent.

When you work with loads in the 5 gr range, you may have to fool with different primers to get consistent ignition. I used a CCI 300 in the 44-40, and in my 44 Rem Mag a Rem 2 1/2 gave good results.  Also, testing for powder position issues is a good idea. For me, Titegroup showed some promise, my notes indicated it was worth testing further, but I liked my Red Dot load, so I never did any further testing.   

On 1/17/2019 at 1:31 PM, Lawman Mays said:

My main match rifle is a Uberti 1873, in .44-40, 20 inch barrel, slicked up and short stroked by Cody Conagher. When I started this sport I was using 7 grains of Unique Powder. I quickly went down to 6.5, then 6.2, and now I'm at 6.0 grains. Does anyone load any lighter than 6  grains of Unique for this rife in .44-40? I want to go as light as possible without running the risk of a squib round.

I also use Tite Group. I think I'm at 5 grains for that powder.

If I recall correctly, over eight years ago... I inadvertently loaded 4gr or less and got squibs in my revolver before I had a chance to shoot them in the rifle. I stopped at the first stage and never finished the day. I do remember watching the bullet leave the barrel and head down range with another load but I forget what that was. Could have been a low charge of Unique or Titgroup. I think I only used Titegroup in my 45 revolvers at the time. 

Archived